DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking & beyond line of sight filming

HH was a great series and tragic how Hogan ended up in real life.
But let’s all get back on topic guys.
Thanks.

Wow.. just wow. Now I know why we’ve been getting more email updates about new regulations against doing really stupid things more frequently from the FAA lately.

Last edited:
Please cite the evidence for Flightradar24 being less than 50% accurate. Also, do you know the odds of hitting anything? It has been studied. It’s somewhere around winning the lottery or being struck by lightning. So I don’t need luck. I have something better- statistics.

Take your drone police attitude elsewhere. The product is literally marketed to go 5 miles. And it literally, even while not unlocked, goes 1640ft up.

People like me remove garbage NFZs that don’t need to be there, unlock speed parameters and RC power output parameters, remove altitude limits, and shoot for the moon.

Now, if you want to fly your toy around your backyard and not push the limits like pioneers like me, go for it. But stfu when others want to push the limits, Colonel Klink.
FlightRadar24 does not pick up all aircraft because all aircraft do not transmit or are discoverable, such as military for example and other government, special operations agencies.

Reactions: JS1600 and AMann
Wonderful. A PM won’t stop me from pushing limits. Or others.
a good example of this was last week when myself (with my mpp) and my neighbor who is an off-duty firefighter (flying his GoPro), were flying about 300 ft AGL in a field in front of our houses. I have flight radar installed on a secondary mobile device. Keep an eye on it every two or three minutes to make sure nobody is around. As luck would have it a Garland Texas based tourist helicopter bolted over the trees in front of us at about 300 ft. This was in class G airspace. Both myself and the firefighter brought our drones down immediately, and then had simultaneous heart attacks. The helicopter was so close to the ground that I read his registration numbers and I did track him down. I started to complain to the FAA but did not because I was afraid that they would make the golf course that I fly over, which is abandoned, a no-fly zone. The copter was not on the radar at all and both of our drones could have easily wound up going through his front window killing all the passengers onboard easily. Even if there were no fatalities we would have lost our drones.

Last edited:
a good example of this was last week when myself and an off-duty firefighter flying his GoPro drone, were flying about 300 ft in a field in front of our houses. I have flight radar installed on a secondary mobile device. Keep an eye on it every two or three minutes to make sure nobody is around. As luck would have it a Garland Texas based tourist helicopter bolted over the trees in front of us at about 300 ft. This was in class G airspace. Both myself and the firefighter brought our drones down immediately, and then had simultaneous heart attacks. The helicopter was so close to the ground that I read his registration numbers and track him down. I started to complain to the FAA but did not because I was afraid that they would make the golf course that I fly at, which is abandoned, a no-fly zone. The copter was not on the radar at all and both of our drones could have easily wound up going through his front window killing all the passengers onboard easily. Even if there were no fatalities we would have lost our drones.

There is ALWAYS the X factor. And the X factor defies all odds, except that it will ALWAYS occur at the WORST POSSIBLE TIME. This is small, but fairly powerful technology. And even minor conflicts can reverberate & make waves in our rarified world. Individuals may not care what they do, but we all share this passion, & I don't want to see crushing regs appear because of avoidable accidents.

I live in an area where drones are prohibited almost EVERYWHERE. (we have national seashore, and miles of open space with strict prohibitions). I also happen to be a Mtn Biker -another reviled user group. Mtn Bikes are prohibited on much of our local lands. And a few bad actors can often have major negative effects on efforts to improve access. It's bad enough here, and I don't want to see things get worse, as I REALLY like my sky cam.

So Filipok, is your abandoned golf course called Geronimo by any chance?

Unfortunately when rules and restrictions are implemented they are written to address the problem at the lowest common denominator with no consideration to those that follow and adhere to the rules. So as always, the actions of a few screw it for the majority.

I have a WAA for my area. I live 4.8 miles from a class C airport which houses A-10s. As you know, military aircraft do not show on Flight Radar. And even though they are not suppose to drop below 500', on Sundays, they will fly over my house below that level, sometimes estimated around 300'. So I do not fly in this area on Sundays or reserve weekends.

Reactions: Filipok
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa