DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking Sim already in Mavic Pro ??

grizzard

Reactions
I was thinking of attaching a tracking device to my Mavic when I get it ... but thinking more about that ... does it not already have a built in tracking device that records the Mavic flight path and is available when you upload your log?? If that's true, then it seems there would be no advantage in buying and attaching a tracking device because essentially you are just duplicating what is already built in?

I believe the tracking devices allow it to point you to where the Mavic is, compared to the Mavic's flight log where you can only review it and attempt to find the last location.

Reactions: grizzard
I believe the tracking devices allow it to point you to where the Mavic is, compared to the Mavic's flight log where you can only review it and attempt to find the last location.
Good point ... Now if it just had bomb bay doors to put it in ..

Reactions: FPVJunkie
I've heard the MarcoPolo one is pretty small.

What I don't understand is the Mavic has a gps. It also has a transmitter. You would think there would be some sort of software of being able to locate a downed mavic. Kind of like the "find my phone" apps.

Reactions: jointeffort
You would think there would be some sort of software of being able to locate a downed mavic.

I agree the DJI Go and Litchi apps would benefit from a simple "dowsing mode" where it leads you to the last received GPS coordinates (including altitude). However, getting perfect coordinates at the time of trouble all depends on the Mavic battery and transmitter being in usable condition, which might not be the case for areas where reception is lost around the time of a crash. Critical capability depends on redundancy. The extra tracker units use their own battery, their own antenna, their own transmitter radio logic.

Reactions: grizzard
I agree the DJI Go and Litchi apps would benefit from a simple "dowsing mode" where it leads you to the last received GPS coordinates (including altitude). However, getting perfect coordinates at the time of trouble all depends on the Mavic battery and transmitter being in usable condition, which might not be the case for areas where reception is lost around the time of a crash. Critical capability depends on redundancy. The extra tracker units use their own battery, their own antenna, their own transmitter radio logic.
I agree .... another poster replied that you will see the last know signal ...and not necessarily where it ended up! Of course you will need to head back home to a computer, upload the log, and then view .. all of which takes you away from where you flew from. Anyway ... that's how I see it.

I agree .... another poster replied that you will see the last know signal ...and not necessarily where it ended up! Of course you will need to head back home to a computer, upload the log, and then view .. all of which takes you away from where you flew from. Anyway ... that's how I see it.
This is all analysis that could easily be done on a smart phone. Of course "easily" pertains to the computing power of the smart phone. Programming the app that would analyze the log files requires a fair amount of skill but it is certainly doable.;)

This is all analysis that could easily be done on a smart phone. Of course "easily" pertains to the computing power of the smart phone. Programming the app that would analyze the log files requires a fair amount of skill but it is certainly doable.;)
If you can do that I'll purchase your first app .... (autographed of course)

Reactions: jointeffort
It would be a no brainer for the GO App coders, just display the last known good coordinates with a hyper link to google maps. Guess hat: Parrot does that for its $300 Bebop...

Ender

If you can do that I'll purchase your first app .... (autographed of course)
Sorry my specialization is mechanical design and manufacturing. I leave the coding to the really smart people.

It would be a no brainer for the GO App coders, just display the last known good coordinates with a hyper link to google maps. Guess hat: Parrot does that for its $300 Bebop...

Ender
Actually so does the Mavic (show the last known coordinates) ... but if you end up peeking behind a tall building and lose connection .... no more tracking. So with an added "tracker" you have a location no matter what .. upside down, in a tree, and a signal (probably) as it dives into someone's swimming pool. It uses it's own battery to communicate with the satellites and Sky Tec is watching it. That's the way I see it anyway.

Yep, got me one of those and it works like a charm. Not tested on the Mavic yet tho!
But will be fitting it some how.
Do you have any guidance to offer on sources and set up. I did the usual Google/eBay searches but first hand experience is a wonderful thing.:)

Do you have any guidance to offer on sources and set up. I did the usual Google/eBay searches but first hand experience is a wonderful thing.:)

I sourced one locally to avoid customs and shipping cost.
It's really eazy to set up, i bought a prepaid simcard and removed sim pin, voice mail and forwarding on it. Loaded my phone nr. as admin and presto, Bob's your uncle.
The better dealers have an own manual to go with it that got me going.
I like the fact that it has no annual or yearly commitment, just the cost of a sms frome the tracker to your phone when you need it.

What I don't understand is the Mavic has a gps. It also has a transmitter. You would think there would be some sort of software of being able to locate a downed mavic. Kind of like the "find my phone" apps.
The transmitter does not connect to a network though, it only works in direct link with your controller - so if that direct link is broken which is very likely when losing the aircraft somewhere it has no way of telling its current position. You get the last received one, but it could be way off from where it currently sits. The trackers use mobile phone networks and thus are able to give an exact current position from anywhere as long as there is mobile phone signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan