DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transport Canada version of can I fly there?

Tbredhed

Reactions
Hey fellow Canadians, I was wondering if TC had their own version of the CASA app Can I fly There? Or I believe the FAA has B4UFLY app.
I did a quick search of the play store, I'm using android, and didn't see anything.
Cheers

Thanks, it's not much doesn't work that well, even my phone, galaxy note 8, isn't big enough to display the page properly.
Hopefully they have something by the time the new regs come into effect.

Yeah the website is not great
To move around I think you need to use two fingers. Overall your right. It’s not great.

Works okay on tab. I generally reference it before heading out and using my computer.

TC needs to make this a mobile app and improve this. Now they expect us to register it would make sense to provide some tools also.

They dont have an app
But they have a website sorta. It works okay on a mobile device.

National Research Council Canada / Conseil national de recherches Canada

Make sure you selected the recreational drone size as it changes the exclusion sizes.

It’s the best we have so far.

I'm new to flying drones, I just passed my basic certificate for the new drone laws on June 1. My question is on the transport Canada website the interactive map (where I can, and can't fly my drone). What UAV weight class would I be selecting for a Mavic air that weighs 450 kg, I'm flying it for recreational purposes (only). I believe I would select Model Aircraft (Recreational Drone) Transport Canada gazette reads model aircraft means an aircraft, including an unmanned aircraft commonly known as a drone, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.
So do I select the recreational drone so that is changes the exclusion sizes???
Thanks in advance Joe

Select model aircraft

I also assume you mean grams. It kilograms. If you drone is 450 kg your need special permissions. Since you said it was a mavic air I assume you mean grams

Flying your drone safely and legally (current rules) - Transport Canada

These are the current rules. They are different then the test you took. Those rules start June 1

The current rules are much more restrictive so check them out.

Select model aircraft

I also assume you mean grams. It kilograms. If you drone is 450 kg your need special permissions. Since you said it was a mavic air I assume you mean grams

Flying your drone safely and legally (current rules) - Transport Canada

These are the current rules. They are different then the test you took. Those rules start June 1

The current rules are much more restrictive so check them out.

Yes sorry I meant 450g

I’m flying it for recreational purposes (only). I believe I would select Model Aircraft (Recreational Drone). Transport Canada gazette reads that a model aircraft is an aircraft, including an unmanned aircraft commonly known as a drone, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.

What do I select on the interactive map?

1kg or less
1 kg to 25 kg
Model Aircraft (Recreational Drone)

Thanks in advance Joe

Select the model aircraft
Today they have Separation between commercial and hobby

Your hobby. Select that

The 1kg and below and the other setting is for commercial operations

Those all go away June 1 but until then use Mosel aircraft

On June 1 the laws change and hopefully they update this site.

Your comments on it being an aircraft have no relevance to this website. Transport Canada designation of a UAV as an aircraft is so that they can apply law to it

Reactions: 495bigjoe
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nilesh