DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel with Mavic Air2S USA to Italy Possible? Tips?

Carter Newton

Reactions
We are going to Italy and I want simply to fly drone for holiday fun along the way. Is traveling with the drone and 3 batteries as baggage OK? Do I need any special certificate as a recreational pilot to operate the drone (dont plan to use it in cities, just pretty rural sites and landscape sturr). Any help appreciated.

We are going to Italy and I want simply to fly drone for holiday fun along the way. Is traveling with the drone and 3 batteries as baggage OK? Do I need any special certificate as a recreational pilot to operate the drone (dont plan to use it in cities, just pretty rural sites and landscape sturr). Any help appreciated.
No batteries in baggage. Flight rules and regs are much stricter in foreign countries, airspace issues. Do your homework or risk a happy vacation.

It's difficult to find dependable information on requirements for non-citizens to fly drones in other countries. There are many websites that profess to have the "ultimate guide" to drone regulations in various countries, but they're typically incomplete and or just plain wrong. Social media and online forums are full of unreliable information, too. So, be careful.

The European Union has adopted uniform regulations for drones, and some member countries have added additional requirements. My understanding is that there are three fundamental requirements: registration in the individual country, training and certification, and insurance.

There are a number of Italian members on this forum who contribute some beautiful photos and videos. You might search for them and ask for assistance.

Please keep us informed of what you find.

I just found a great resource for EU drone regulations from their overall civil aviation authority. The FAQ section for drones is a great place to start. It's official. And it's offered in English and each of the member country languages.

It appears that requirements for drones under 250 grams are pretty straightforward and simple, though if the drone has a camera, registration is required. Registration is done for one member country and is valid for all countries. For drones >250 g and <900 g, online training and an exam are required.

Be aware that individual countries may add additional requirements.

Reactions: 4006448
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada