DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on an airline with mavic air

njsarge

Reactions
I am flying spirit airlines to the west coast in August. I planned on taking my mavic air with me. Any advice on traveling with it? Getting through tsa and on the plane? Thanks.

Has to be carried on, shouldn't be a problem on Spirit, would count as your personal item/purse.

Please pay the $20 upgrade and sit in the first two row seats. My wife and I didn't on one flight, never again. So much more comfy and so cheap. You will actually have a usable armrest. :)

Reactions: JDawg
Not a problem at all to travel with your drone. TSA is perfectly fine with it, with a few caveats... But nothing major.

Has to be carry-on. You can only carry two batteries with you, depending on size, and no they don't have to be discharged.

I personally like to take the props off and put them in my regular luggage that goes underneath the plane so there's no issue with the blades being considered harmful, and to give them an extra bit of confidence I won't power it up at any point during my travel.

Spirit Airlines on Drones:

Can I carry a DRONE onboard?

TSA Rules on Drones:

Drones

TSA Rules on Lipo Batteries:

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device

Not a problem at all to travel with your drone. TSA is perfectly fine with it, with a few caveats... But nothing major.

Has to be carry-on. You can only carry two batteries with you, depending on size, and no they don't have to be discharged.

I personally like to take the props off and put them in my regular luggage that goes underneath the plane so there's no issue with the blades being considered harmful, and to give them an extra bit of confidence I won't power it up at any point during my travel.

Spirit Airlines on Drones:

Can I carry a DRONE onboard?

TSA Rules on Drones:

Drones

TSA Rules on Lipo Batteries:

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device
I didn't know the two battery part. Can you give one to someone else as a carry on item to be able to take the 3 that come with the fly more combo?

I will be 3d printing terminal covers and then taking some tape, just in case they don't like the covers.

I didn't know the two battery part. Can you give one to someone else as a carry on item to be able to take the 3 that come with the fly more combo?

I will be 3d printing terminal covers and then taking some tape, just in case they don't like the covers.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem either as long as it's with someone else and not in your personal possession. I know some people that do professional aerial photography for a living and that's how they travel, each person carries different parts to help carry the gear.

I love the idea of 3D printing the terminal covers. Would love to get a hold of the model if you're open to sharing. Good thought!

I just traveled on Thursday and will again tomorrow on Spirit with my Air and 3 batteries in the travel bag and had no problems. Informed them at security of the drone and went right thru.

Go to thingaverse.com

They have templates. Next week in going to my local library and print up 3.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem either as long as it's with someone else and not in your personal possession. I know some people that do professional aerial photography for a living and that's how they travel, each person carries different parts to help carry the gear.

I love the idea of 3D printing the terminal covers. Would love to get a hold of the model if you're open to sharing. Good thought!

Like mad monkey said above, thingiverse is where I got mine from. I'm on vacation through July, but once I return home, I'll be printing some up.

If they fit well and you still want some, send me a pm and I can mail you a set. They cost almost nothing to print. Your local library could probably print some up for you at minimal cost as well.

Here is a link: DJI Mavic Air battery cap found on #Thingiverse DJI Mavic Air battery cap by jsplinter

Mavic Air battery cover small found on #Thingiverse Mavic Air battery cover small by MaRoss

My favorite: Mavic Air Battery Plug found on #Thingiverse Mavic Air Battery Plug by rockets

Last edited:
One thing I ran into at Reno...........I had my dedicated Nexus 7 tablet in my case with everything else. They made me remove it and run it through the scan separate from my drone case. I had 3 bats, extra blades, charger, drone, cables.......etc, all went through fine..........just my tablet caused the very slight delay. On my return from Spokane, WA, I removed the tablet from the case and ran them separate......no problems! Ultimately, every airport and even every TSA agent is different, so YMMV!!

We use tinkercad in my DGA class I teach, kids like it and so do I. I was able to convince our PTA to get a 3d printer for our class. This next year I plan to use the printer to build a second one. :)
I know how to 3d print.. Made a few of my own designs in tinkercad. I just like the idea of making some things not available retail. Like the covers

Digital Graphics and Animation. Mostly digital animation and working with Blender (which is free and so fun to use). We start with 2d and work up to 3d,im just an introduction class for what they can take in high school.
Dga class?

Can the batteries be stored inside of the case? I have the smartree case with the separate compartments.

Flew out of O'Hare this weekend and my carry-on got flagged by TSA because of my MA. Once they opened up and saw what it was there wasn't an issue. Had 4 batteries in the case as well that they never even looked at. Pretty sure that everything depends on who's running the x-ray machine and what mood they're in. That was the first time I've been flagged though.

Reactions: Drgnfli

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC