DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on an Airplane with your Mavic Pro

Advexure

Reactions
Given the extreme portability and compact structure of the Mavic, many more people are going to be traveling with their drone and therefore we thought it would be good to share some tips and information about traveling on an airplane with your Mavic. No more big case to have to lug around. Hallelujah! :D

Can you bring the Mavic Pro on an airplane?
Yes, most definitely!

How would you recommend I travel on an airplane with my Mavic?
First off, pack it in a safe bag where it's not going to tossed around too much. If you are looking for a nice bag that has been specifically designed for the Mavic, check out the DJI Mavic Pro Hardshell Backpack.

I know I can bring the Mavic on the airplane but what about the batteries?
Batteries can be brought on the airplane as well. The FAA and individual airlines are beginning to regulate lithium batteries on passenger airplanes more and more so the rules are changing pretty quickly.

We highly recommend traveling with LiPo Bags!
DJI batteries are very highly quality and well manufactured lithium polymer batteries but still pose a risk of fire. Yes, we have to share there has been a case of a DJI battery fire on an airplane. With that being said, you're best of packing your batteries in LiPo Battery Safe Bags. They can be purchased at Advexure and are just $9 – Battery Safe LiPo Bag for Mavic Batteries

Few tips/things to remember when flying with Mavic batteries:
  • You may take DJI Mavic Batteries on an airplane.
  • In the United States, the TSA allows lithium ion batteries that are under 100 watt hours to be brought aboard an airplane.
  • Any spare batteries (not installed in the Mavic) must be carried on the airplane and not put in your carry-on. The only time a lithium ion battery can be put in your checked luggage is if it is installed in the drone.
  • You may carry-on as many Mavic batteries as you desire. It is highly recommended to protect the batteries from a short circuit. This can be done by taping over the connection terminals to ensure no metal objects could cause a short circuit.
  • When proceeding through TSA it is advised to remove all batteries from your bag and place them in their own bin to be sent through the x-ray.
  • If you plan on traveling often with your Mavic Pro Drone we may advise that you print off a copy of the TSA regulations in case you run into any trouble. Battery regulations can be found on the TSA website here.

Battery regulations are always changing so be sure to check back with the FAA every few months. If you have any specific tips and/or further recommendations for traveling with your Mavic please be sure to share them below.

Safe travels and happy flying wherever your travels bring you!

- The Advexure Team

Last edited:
Is this the same travelling from the UK ?

It looks like it is pretty similar if not the same in the UK and Europe. Sorry we are not more familiar with your regulations over there as we are a North American dealer. Please feel free to add any further information you find to this thread that may be different for flying in Europe as we've got pilots from all around the world on here.

Found this on British Airways which are the same rules for our US Airlines: http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf

Reactions: Odinbear
Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful. Plan on traveling a lot more with my Mavic as I hardly ever can take my P4 or Inspire anywhere I go...

What about the RC controller? Is it also powered by a lipo? Can it be checked?

What about the RC controller? Is it also powered by a lipo? Can it be checked?

Good question. Controllers are not a big worry as the batteries that are hard wired into the controllers are much smaller and operate on a much smaller voltage. There is no problem with checking the controller on the airline.

Reactions: Jphil
You are talking about a 2S cell. It would be like putting your laptop in a checked bag. However, you never know how TSA or your local screeners are going to react. It is so small I would just carry everything on in the cabin.

Reactions: scooot
You are talking about a 2S cell. It would be like putting your laptop in a checked bag. However, you never know how TSA or your local screeners are going to react. It is so small I would just carry everything on in the cabin.

Thanks for confirming it is a 2S. Couldn't seem to find the number of series spec anywhere for the RC batteries.

I live in Greece, but I'm an American and I generally travel home to Washington once or twice a year. My last trip I traveled with my Phantom 2 non-Vision drone. Unfortunately, the case I bought for my drone was too large for it to fit in the overhead bins so I had to check it. I carried the one battery that I had with me in a specific designed flame-retardant case that I bought on Amazon.

I had zero issues or problems. I was really worried that someone would recognize the case as a drone case (even though there were no identifiers on it) and steal the drone. But I'm happy to say my Phantom 2 made it all the way home and back to Greece again! :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SS1T4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - flame-retardant case

https://www.amazon.com/ProCraft-Pha...6803925&sr=8-2&keywords=phantom+2+travel+case - travel case style (not sure this is the exact case though)

I'm looking forward to traveling with my new Mavic. I intend to slip it into my computer backpack and carry it on with me!

Reactions: Advexure
Great to know about planes but what about other modes of travel? I'm going on a cruise to the Caribbean on celebrity cruises. I've had mixed messages - some collect and hold your drone to the end of the cruise some hold during travel but give to you as you exit for the day. Any experience? (BTW, I know some islands don't like you to fly no matter now you arrived).

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Love the size of the Mavic. I think I'm gonna get body searched in countries where they don't permit drones... I got a good place I can shove it and no one will suspect it =)

Love the size of the Mavic. I think I'm gonna get body searched in countries where they don't permit drones... I got a good place I can shove it and no one will suspect it =)

So, I was wondering, if they xray your luggage and you have the mavic folded with the props off, think it would be mistaken for a video camera? Is it square enough to pass?

Reactions: theOz24
so I traveling from Europe to New york and buying the beast Next month, so i Cant just put it in My suitcase When going back?

so I traveling from Europe to New york and buying the beast Next month, so i Cant just put it in My suitcase When going back?
Absolutely not! Familiarise yourself with TSA and your airlines rules on a carrying Lipo batteries.
Failure to do so could mean you are the one that causes delay/grounding of the aircraft !

So, I was wondering, if they xray your luggage and you have the mavic folded with the props off, think it would be mistaken for a video camera? Is it square enough to pass?
Not with that size ratio of battery to camera no.

Hello,

I think want the dji mavic pro travel case better than different bag hard case.
Can use travelling airplane far UK to India (london heathrow to amritsar) and Airplane:- Air india, Jet Airways, Qatar or Uzbekistan). With 2 x batteries put mavic bag case for travel free? I am learing that time..

1. Not full charged batteries?
2. taping over the connection terminal to batteries and put mavic bag case or larger luggage bag?

Reactions: HaWu
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78