DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling through Dubai...Any changes?

Budge

Reactions
I'm headed to South Africa this summer, and I have a 2 day layover in Dubai. I have no interest in flying in the city. But we are planning a jeep tour out in the desert and I would love to see it from above.

The last I checked, I needed to register my Mavic with the DCAA in order to fly. However, you cannot register on the website as a tourist with a UAE mobile number.

Have their been any changes to the rules there? Anyone been there recently who can provide details?

Thanks.

Hello Budge,

Did u take your drone to Dubai? If yes, did u had any problems at the airport and flying in the desert? Im heading to dubai in 2 days so i want to know if i should take my drone with me.

Hi halid. Yes I did take my drone. Flying on Emirates, you must pack the drone itself into your checked luggage. They had signs at the checkin counter at DFW in the US saying no drones in carry-on luggage. All bags (checked and carry-on) are scanned when you enter Dubai. They did not seem to notice my drone in my checked bags, but they were very concerned about my two sets of binoculars. They were worried that they had cameras built in. This is the same worry they have about drones.

That being said, you can forget flying in Dubai or Abu Dhabi without a permit, which you cannot obtain without having an UAE local mobile number. I did not attempt it and I would not if I were you. People are very nice but you will get noticed and reported. Strict rules here. As for the desert, I was not able to fly because our tour was completely on a desert preserve. I asked about flying in the open desert. I was told that the military has the ability to track them and will catch you. I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

So I didn't fly at all in Dubai. If you are a rebel and often fly where you aren't allowed, you could try to get away with it. If you are going to try, be as discreet as possible and don't tell anyone. I'm not that type of drone pilot. The people there are very tech savvy and have seen lots of drones. Fly at your own risk. If you do, please don't post the videos.

If you are just flying through Dubai on your way to or from another country, I found a great way to pack my drone on Emirates. I took my DJI Goggles with me to South Africa. They were too big to pack in my carry-on. So I was able to put my goggles and my drone together in a BASSTOP goggles hard case. It was a nice snug fit, and I used some socks to stuff the empty spots. My drone and goggles are fine after 4 international flights.

Hey Budge,

Thanks for your advice and information. All questions that i had are clear now. I think that I will take my drone with my but don't fly in Dubai for safety reasons I take my drone with me because I fly to Turkey after a week in Dubai. I will pack my drone at the same way of you did.

Hey

Yes please, maybe i can use the same method. I'm now in Dubai and take the drone without batteries in my carry on bag. Didnt had any problem at all. Still didnt flew here in dubai.

Not only do you need a UAE tel no but also ID....so flying legally in the UAE not possible except for citizens....seems like

I can send you a picture of how I got the Mavic securely in the Goggles case if you like.
Hi Budge, I’m now having the same problem as I’m traveling from US to Maldives, when I return I will stay in Dubai for 5 days. I’m planing to fly in Maldives, and no intention to fly in Dubai. Not sure if the custom allow me to bring my Drone with me. I heard I could leave the drone in the airport and pick it up when I fly back to US, but I heard some cases online that the custom guys can’t find the drone or they are asking for the tips of hundreds $… (not sure if those are true, but seems to be kind of risky…).

Hi halid. Yes I did take my drone. Flying on Emirates, you must pack the drone itself into your checked luggage. They had signs at the checkin counter at DFW in the US saying no drones in carry-on luggage. All bags (checked and carry-on) are scanned when you enter Dubai. They did not seem to notice my drone in my checked bags, but they were very concerned about my two sets of binoculars. They were worried that they had cameras built in. This is the same worry they have about drones.

That being said, you can forget flying in Dubai or Abu Dhabi without a permit, which you cannot obtain without having an UAE local mobile number. I did not attempt it and I would not if I were you. People are very nice but you will get noticed and reported. Strict rules here. As for the desert, I was not able to fly because our tour was completely on a desert preserve. I asked about flying in the open desert. I was told that the military has the ability to track them and will catch you. I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

So I didn't fly at all in Dubai. If you are a rebel and often fly where you aren't allowed, you could try to get away with it. If you are going to try, be as discreet as possible and don't tell anyone. I'm not that type of drone pilot. The people there are very tech savvy and have seen lots of drones. Fly at your own risk. If you do, please don't post the videos.

If you are just flying through Dubai on your way to or from another country, I found a great way to pack my drone on Emirates. I took my DJI Goggles with me to South Africa. They were too big to pack in my carry-on. So I was able to put my goggles and my drone together in a BASSTOP goggles hard case. It was a nice snug fit, and I used some socks to stuff the empty spots. My drone and goggles are fine after 4 international flights.
Hi Budge, I’m now having the same problem as I’m traveling from US to Maldives, when I return I will stay in Dubai for 5 days. I’m planing to fly in Maldives, and no intention to fly in Dubai. Not sure if the custom allow me to bring my Drone with me. I heard I could leave the drone in the airport and pick it up when I fly back to US, but I heard some cases online that the custom guys can’t find the drone or they are asking for the tips of hundreds $… (not sure if those are true, but seems to be kind of risky…).

You will have no problem bringing your drone through the airport, you will not be questioned about it. I live in Dubai and travel in and out with multiple drones all the time. But as said above, do not attempt to fly the drone without the correct approvals in place. There is no need to leave the drone anywhere, just keep it in your luggage, no one will ask you for a tip !

You will have no problem bringing your drone through the airport, you will not be questioned about it. I live in Dubai and travel in and out with multiple drones all the time. But as said above, do not attempt to fly the drone without the correct approvals in place. There is no need to leave the drone anywhere, just keep it in your luggage, no one will ask you for a tip !
Thanks for the information!

Andrew, will it be too risky carrying my drone on me (not in my checked luggage) when transiting through Dubai airport on Emirates flights. My insurance company has told me, if I put the drone in my checked luggage it will not be covered if it’s damaged in transit.

Andrew, will it be too risky carrying my drone on me (not in my checked luggage) when transiting through Dubai airport on Emirates flights. My insurance company has told me, if I put the drone in my checked luggage it will not be covered if it’s damaged in transit.

No drone in cabin carry on, only checked baggage.

Edit - PS, as usual batteries in carry on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_