DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Boston from Australia

born2drone

Reactions
Going to visit Boston soon, and was wondering what are the rules if I brought my Mavic with me to the U.S., would I be allowed to fly it as a visitor...can I get a temp permit from the FAA?

Hello,

I'm in Boston and I know some others are too in this forum. We should setup a meet up somewhere when you are here. I don't see why you couldn't just do a normal FAA recreational drone registration, I'll post a link below. Hit me up if you any questions or if you have the time when you come to the states maybe we can setup a meet up in the Boston area!

DRONE REGISTRATION

Cheers Mate,
Sean

Reactions: born2drone
Also living in Boston and there isn’t many places to fly within Boston as Logans 5 mile range covers pretty much the entire city. But plenty of places outside of that north and south. Scenery will be much different than Australia

You'll need to register your sUAS with the FAA as a Hobbyist. HERE is more info. This needs to be done on a computer with a US-based IP address so wait until you get to Boston before registering it. The registration is $5 USD. You will get a registration certificate and a unique FAA registration number. Keep the certificate with you when you fly the Mavic and make sure to put your FAA number on it. You can use a label maker and then peel it off when you return home.

A big welcome in advance of your visit! You should return for a visit in October to capture the majesty of the New England mountains in the autumn!

Thanks guys...excited now as I’ll be in the Andover area and that looks so beautiful; thanks again for the tips, so I’ll apply the moment I land. Guess I was just wondering if I will get any stick at customs when I arrive with my drone?

Hello,

I'm in Boston and I know some others are too in this forum. We should setup a meet up somewhere when you are here. I don't see why you couldn't just do a normal FAA recreational drone registration, I'll post a link below. Hit me up if you any questions or if you have the time when you come to the states maybe we can setup a meet up in the Boston area!

DRONE REGISTRATION

Cheers Mate,
Sean

Meeting up is a great possibility...I will say the weekend of week 19th of Feb...we can do the Sat or Sun weather permitting of course?
I will be based in Andover and it looks like flying up there is more possible as it’s outside Logan airport radius.

Meeting up is a great possibility...I will say the weekend of week 19th of Feb...we can do the Sat or Sun weather permitting of course?
I will be based in Andover and it looks like flying up there is more possible as it’s outside Logan airport radius.

Hi,

I know traveling can be hectic and you don't always have time for everything you want to do but we could get a few people together and fly a spot outside of the city somewhere for a couple hours. About a week before you are coming to the states, post a reply or send me a message and we can try to make something happen that weekend. I can research some places to fly in that area. I'm sure weather permitting some others would be interested too.

Sean

By the way I have posted some photos in the Photo and Video section of New England...took many more and video of course that I will compile later. Beautiful scenery where I was, but visit very short and window for flying hampered by the recent weather; still, I woke up one morning and saw clear skies and went for it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair