DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to USA

migbur

Reactions
Hello everyone

In may I'm planning to go for a roadtrip to USA from Canada

I'm wondering if I should have any kind of insurance to fly my drone in the USA and also what are the regulations for national parks there :)

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

At this point you don't need insurance in the USA if you're just a recreational user. You do need to register it online with the FAA here... https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ $5, and make sure the number is on your drone.

You cannot fly in National Parks! You can always ask when you arrive if there is a place you'd be allowed to fly, but I can pretty much guarantee they'll say no.

That being said, when I was in Utah last year there were lots of places outside of the parks that would have been great if I only had my Mavic then!

Reactions: migbur
Hello everyone

In may I'm planning to go for a roadtrip to USA from Canada

I'm wondering if I should have any kind of insurance to fly my drone in the USA and also what are the regulations for national parks there :)

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
So you need to make sure your drone is registered with the FAA, as the post above links to. It's quick and easy and it tells you exactly what you can and cannot do for all locations.

For national parks, it's best to ask for permission. I would recommend downloading the B4UFly app for your smartphone as it tells you what your flight options are.

Thanks, I definitely will register my drone and check for the app :)

Have wonderful flights [emoji1316]

What if - as a tourist - I bring my own drone from abroad, which is already registered as an aircraft in another country (sticker, electronic identification chip etc)? Would I then still need to register with the US FAA?

What if - as a tourist - I bring my own drone from abroad, which is already registered as an aircraft in another country (sticker, electronic identification chip etc)? Would I then still need to register with the US FAA?

Yes, you would. It's $5 US, can be done instantly online, and is good for 3 years.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Another question now that my trip is getting closer
I'm not driving so I'll be flying to USA, but just with my carry on bag, would be any problem ?

No problem. Check the site of your carrier to be clear on their rules. Just got back from China and had no issues at all. I removed the battery after draining it to 50%, and capped the contacts and stored it in a clear bag. Only one official looked at the rating of my batteries, and no one was ever pulled out the Mavic. Never but batteries in your checked bags!

Another question now that my trip is getting closer
I'm not driving so I'll be flying to USA, but just with my carry on bag, would be any problem ?

If safety is important to you ( I know some members aren't concerned with safety), I would also get a lipo bag for your batteries when traveling on a plane. I have never heard of anyone not being allowed to board with lipo's but with what's going on around the world now, it's better to be safe than sorry.

No problem. Check the site of your carrier to be clear on their rules. Just got back from China and had no issues at all. I removed the battery after draining it to 50%, and capped the contacts and stored it in a clear bag. Only one official looked at the rating of my batteries, and no one was ever pulled out the Mavic. Never but batteries in your checked bags!

Thanks for the information.

If safety is important to you ( I know some members aren't concerned with safety), I would also get a lipo bag for your batteries when traveling on a plane. I have never heard of anyone not being allowed to board with lipo's but with what's going on around the world now, it's better to be safe than sorry.

That's a great idea, I'll do it this way. Thanks

Guys, as i see many of us are kinda lost regarding to traveling with our drones. Since i did not found any good sheet regarding to this i created a sub page on my website. Drone owners like us can easily check and filter departure and arrival and check if anything to worry about or we should be aware before our trip.

» Drone Airplane Regulations and Tips

To avoid any spam flood the submissions will be reviewed within 12-24 hours, but after time this can be incredible handy for all of us. If you have any experience please share with us.

Reactions: liquidxtc13
Hello,

I am living in Switzerland and will come to the US this fall for a few weeks with my Mavic Pro.

After reading the thread i still dont fully know what to do. I understand registering with the FAA is for US citizens with a valid postal address, right?

Thanks!

At this point you don't need insurance in the USA if you're just a recreational user. You do need to register it online with the FAA here... https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ $5, and make sure the number is on your drone.

You cannot fly in National Parks! You can always ask when you arrive if there is a place you'd be allowed to fly, but I can pretty much guarantee they'll say no.

That being said, when I was in Utah last year there were lots of places outside of the parks that would have been great if I only had my Mavic then!

Do you know if I have to register also if I don't use the drone?
I will be in Los Angeles for few days but I will not use my drone. I have it in my baggage because I will come from New Zealand where I will use it. Should I register it anyway?

No registration required. Just keep below 122 meters. I am in Switzerland right now.
hey, thanks for the reply.

Just to not mix things up, you are saying i need no registration for the USA?

I know i need none for Switzerland, but i thought the USA requires the registration with the FAA also for tourists? no?

Thx!

Any updates here?

Im flying next week, do I need to register or not?

Don't want to make any mistakes here, thx!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom