DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling to NYC w/ Mavic Air

Ludanix

Reactions
Hey All,

I'm just curious if I'm travelling to NYC from Toronto what I need to prepare or how I should pack my Mavic Air. I have a carrying case for it, but was thinking of packing it all in my checked bag just so no hassle with carry-on. However, I've read directly on DJI's website they advise not putting batteries in a checked bag because air pressure/temp conditions aren't consistent. It's a 1.5 hr flight so perhaps this is an exception.

Anyway, can anyone provide advice and guidance on how to travel with my Mavic Air and encounter the least amount of problems/risk possible?

Thanks!

You must pack your batteries in your carryon luggage. See below...

Concerning batteries, the FAA’s hazardous materials regulations generally state that portable electronic devices (such as a drone) powered by an installed lithium battery may be carried in either checked or carry-on baggage. The FAA states that the device, “-particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up-,” must be turned off and any switches protected from accidental activation. Airline policies could impose additional restrictions.

Spare lithium batteries for personal use are permitted in carry-on baggage only and are subject to several restrictions. While the regulations do not limit the number of Lithium ion batteries rated at 100 watt hours or less, batteries rated at more than 100 watt hours but no more than 160 watt hours may only be carried with the approval of the airline, and are limited to no more than two spare batteries. The regulations require any spare battery to be individually protected from short circuiting, such as by placing the battery in its original retail packaging, taping over exposed terminals, or in a protective pouch (inexpensive fireproof battery pouches are readily available and seem preferred by professionals). For additional requirements, see 49 C.F.R. 175.10(a)(18) and the FAA Office of Hazardous Materials Battery FAQ.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
DJI batteries could in theory be considered an 'installed' battery since it has a power switch that can't easily be turned on accidentally. It is much like USB powerbanks.
However airlines require luggage with built-in batteries have them removed if checked.
Considering the cost of the drone, I'd carry it on but definitely carry on the batteries. Perhaps check in accessories.

Reactions: ksmusa
The batteries must be in your carry on. You can put the drone, minus batteries, in your checked bag, but I wouldn't. Have you seen how they handle luggage!?

Google Image Result for https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-22-2015/_agS-3.gif

When I travel, I store mine under the seat in front of me. Other passengers trying to fit their oversized carry on roller will give zero concern about your drone while trying to shove their belongings in an overhead compartment!

I've never had an issue with security while traveling with my drone as a carryon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo