DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tried a wrap

cah

Reactions
I bought a cheap wrap from Aliexpress which arrived last week.
Applied some of it today - didn't wrap the arms or batteries or motors as I was trying to keep the weight down.

Cost me about $13 shipped.

With what you can see applied it tips the scales at 250 .. you can get it to flip between 249 and 250 if you move it around a bit, so that's close enough to "under 250g" to me.

I might remove the top stickers and wrap a couple of the arms instead, as the top isn't going to help with visibility unless it's underneath me. Or maybe just leave the sides and wrap the batteries. Will need to experiment.

IMG_1492-P40.jpg IMG_1491-P40.jpg

Why so concerned about 250 grams?
What was wrong with the way it was without the wrap?
Does you your scale calibrated to government standards?

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
As the owner of 14 skinned/wrapped or custom painted drones I'll give you my reasons:
1) Personal taste. The same reason we air brush motorcycle gas tanks or custom paint cars and boats - aesthetics.
2) It often helps keep VLOS, but it really helps find your drone if it is hung up in a tree or caught in a bush, depending on the color.
3) Because it is mine and I can.
4) I really dislike the color gray - especially DJI gray - it is the same color of our Seattle skies 90% of the year
5) Adding 0.5 to 1.5 grams of weight is not a concern for me.
6) I don't live in an odd dystopian world where cars or houses are limited to one color - my drone world will NOT
become that colorless dystopian world either!

perhaps our take on things changes over time,my MPP now nearly 4 years old ,has over its flying life had several different wraps ,and is now on its 4th one
my original Mini has also had several different ones as well
i have also purchased the full gambit of accessories from hard cases to ND filters ,for both of them ,that was till i received my Mini 3 Pro and for some strange reason ,apart from an extra battery ,which i am still waiting for ,i find that the drone, RC with screen ,and the fly more kit works perfectly for me, and is just right to transport everything around,and because of the scope it gives me here in the UK,for places that i can fly ,it being a sub 250g drone ,i cant see any need for adding accessories

We all have to be happy with our stuff. But IMO there is enough essential stuff that one may want to put on a Mini 3. The Mini 2 came in naked at 232g but my Mini 3 naked is 249g. DJI even had to amputate the legs to make weight :). Luckily here in the US being "overweight" for the class is no big deal. $5 and 10 minutes of time to just register.

As I examine my brand new Mini 3 there are just some things I can't live without: Landing gear and strobes in particular. The way I look at my drones, they are tools not toys. And while different wraps can look really cool, are you sure you're not going to add a velcro strip or a strobe? Is staying unders 250g important in your area?

Reactions: eva2000
My only reason for wrapping it was to make it more visible against the sky. If it doesn't work, then I'll take them off.
Consequently I really don't care much what it looks like, just that it's more visible than 'invisible grey'.
I think you'll find that after the drone is several hundred feet away, they all appear "dark colored" regardless of the skin color. It does make them a bit more visible than the light gray color however. But should you ever crash, the color will really help you find it.

I won't knock your wrap. I kinda like the personalization and the added "spotting" ability personally. Heck, I've wrapped every bird I've ever had. Here's my Mavic 2 Pro that's been wrapped from the day I got it after it was released...
Nice gives me Battlestar Galactica vibes :D

Reactions: Torque
Just my 2 cents. I like the personalization a wrap gives. I have had many wraps on my Air 2S and have like them all. Bought a few from @DecalGirl but the ones I really like are @Wrapgrade. Expensive, yes, but the quality is fantastic! @DecalGirl wraps are quality made BUT they way the seams line up with such a gap, it can make the drone look cartoonish and toyish. I'll just continue to spend my money on what I want. No need to please or justify to anyone.

Reactions: eva2000 and Torque
My only reason for wrapping it was to make it more visible against the sky. If it doesn't work, then I'll take them off.
Consequently I really don't care much what it looks like, just that it's more visible than 'invisible grey'.
So then wrap the whole thing, why worry about weight. It's only five dollars with FAA to register for three years.

Reactions: eva2000 and Torque
Because I'm in the UK and the <250g matters more to us (we get to fly it in more places if it's lighter, it's not just a registration thing).
Ahhh so true,I keep forgetting to look where everybody is from. It certainly can make a difference.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa