DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tried to be all arty, paid the price

Dat_kiwi_78

Reactions
Hey all,

Had the Air for a month or so now, been doing some ok footage (this was my quarantine boredom avoidance tool) and today thought I'd get some shots through the empty university high-rises in Barcelona. Unfortunately, the wind was strong and I was flying too fast for a newbie flyer, and it went straight into the side of a building at around 25m up.

It looked like it was trying to correct itself on the way down (I could be wrong but I was hoping it was!), before hitting the ground, front left antenna leg snapped off, rear right foot snapped off, and the camera/gymbal face-planted, scraping in to hell, and busting the rotation of the camera. Depressing.

Anyhow, I have the refresh insurance, so just did a claim, looks like it will come though and they will fix it right up.

No blame on the drone or DJI. All blame on me. Terrible piloting. I guess everyone does something when flying in cities at some point (and before you ask, yes I am allowed to fly around here).

Cheers.

Captain Sad Mavic Pilot.

So I remain a bit confused on what Refresh will and will not cover. I was under the impression that they would cover accidents caused by pilot error, but then I see posts from owners who had their Refresh claims denied--because of pilot error. What am I missing here?

This is why I purchased it too, in case of an error from my side, to have the peace of mind that with a small fee, I ll get a replacement or repair. I believe that's the case and their main selling point.

The only downside is that the drone needs to be retrieved and returned to them, which may not be possible in some cases.

Keep us posted about the progress of the claim.

Where are you recording video when you flew into the building? I’d like to see your artistic skills! If you have the video you should post it! We have all had our share of accidents!

I wrecked my mini. Told dji it was my fault and they replaced for the $40 fee. Glad I bought the policy

Reactions: Xanadu
I have my homeowners policy with State Farm. Added my new Zoom to my personal articles floater. All peril coverage, no matter what happens to it, with no deductible for around $20 per year. Hard to beat.

Hey all,

Had the Air for a month or so now, been doing some ok footage (this was my quarantine boredom avoidance tool) and today thought I'd get some shots through the empty university high-rises in Barcelona. Unfortunately, the wind was strong and I was flying too fast for a newbie flyer, and it went straight into the side of a building at around 25m up.

It looked like it was trying to correct itself on the way down (I could be wrong but I was hoping it was!), before hitting the ground, front left antenna leg snapped off, rear right foot snapped off, and the camera/gymbal face-planted, scraping in to hell, and busting the rotation of the camera. Depressing.

Anyhow, I have the refresh insurance, so just did a claim, looks like it will come though and they will fix it right up.

No blame on the drone or DJI. All blame on me. Terrible piloting. I guess everyone does something when flying in cities at some point (and before you ask, yes I am allowed to fly around here).

Cheers.

Captain Sad Mavic Pilot.

Were you in sport mode? I would have expected the obstacle avoidance features to have stopped the drone otherwise.

No blame on the drone or DJI. All blame on me.
Thank you for sharing your story and lesson-learned. I really appreciate you not blaming the factory and being accountable for your flying. Enjoy your new-again Mavic Air.

So glad this wasn’t a “send me your DAT files” thread, where our resident analysts tell you what we’re all already thinking. Your drone street cred is high here, so welcome to the forum, and keep on flying!

Reactions: Dat_kiwi_78
Were you in sport mode? I would have expected the obstacle avoidance features to have stopped the drone otherwise.

OA could / would / should have helped if the wind wasn't strong enough to overpower the regular flight systems.
Wind funnels through and around buildings quite strongly sometimes, like gully winds in hills.

You also have to watch out for 'low pressure' on the leeward side of large objects / buildings that can drag you into them.
I learned that very early on getting too close downwind filming some large silos.

OA could / would / should have helped if the wind wasn't strong enough to overpower the regular flight systems.
Wind funnels through and around buildings quite strongly sometimes, like gully winds in hills.

You also have to watch out for 'low pressure' on the leeward side of large objects / buildings that can drag you into them.
I learned that very early on getting too close downwind filming some large silos.
And OA on the Mavic Air is only on-axis; you can put your bird into a wall sideways any time. Ask me how I know this.

And OA on the Mavic Air is only on-axis; you can put your bird into a wall sideways any time. Ask me how I know this.

True, my BIL with his Air knows this too !!
I was with him the day be did a lovely backwards flight off the ocean / sunset, couldn't work out why it stopped flying backwards, just hovered.
With left stick down he then put a little yaw into the picture.
Shortly after put his Air gracefully obeyed, and turned right into a 100' granite cliff face :confused:

Yes I was.. completely unneeded as well. I put it in sport mode to get into position, but didn't switch it off when i went off to film.

I won't do that again...

Thank you for sharing your story and lesson-learned. I really appreciate you not blaming the factory and being accountable for your flying. Enjoy your new-again Mavic Air.

So glad this wasn’t a “send me your DAT files” thread, where our resident analysts tell you what we’re all already thinking. Your drone street cred is high here, so welcome to the forum, and keep on flying!
Yeah. To be fair it's a cautionary tale of don't run before you can walk!

Can't wait for my replacement so I can NOT do this again! ?

Where are you recording video when you flew into the building? I’d like to see your artistic skills! If you have the video you should post it! We have all had our share of accidents!
I was.. I haven't extracted it yet. It's been too raw.. ?

But I'll do it soon and upload it. It's not going to win any Oscars

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman