DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Trip to Bavaria, Germany

rwarrior

Reactions
Hi mates!
Been awhile since I visited..
So I managed to safely make my trip to Bavaria and back; it was really nice but weather was cold (about -3 in most places..)
I managed to do some flying (not a lot), due to the strict rules here, but nonetheless, really glad that I brought my MA2 along.
I thought I'd post some pics here, while I work on the full videos...
Pics are MA2 AEB shots merged to HDR in Affinity Photo
Thanks, and fly and stay safe!
Cheers,
Ranjit

Attachments

• DJI_0275_0279 AP HDR.jpg
    DJI_0275_0279 AP HDR.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 45
  • DJI_0485_0487 PX HDR.jpg
    DJI_0485_0487 PX HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 47
  • DJI_0470_0472 PX HDR.jpg
    DJI_0470_0472 PX HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 42
  • DJI_0460 PX HDR.jpg
    DJI_0460 PX HDR.jpg
    10 MB · Views: 47
  • DJI_0428_0430 PX HDR.jpg
    DJI_0428_0430 PX HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 45
  • DJI_0422_0424 PX HDR.jpg
    DJI_0422_0424 PX HDR.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 44
  • DJI_0405_0407 PX HDR.jpg
    DJI_0405_0407 PX HDR.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 45
  • DJI_0333_0335 NC HDR.JPG
    DJI_0333_0335 NC HDR.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 43
  • DJI_0293_0297 NC HDRv2.JPG
    DJI_0293_0297 NC HDRv2.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 45
Nice work. Going there this summer and working on getting my EASA cert (I am a 107 in US). Did you get your EASA cert, and if you did, was it difficult?

Nice work. Going there this summer and working on getting my EASA cert (I am a 107 in US). Did you get your EASA cert, and if you did, was it difficult?
Hi PHZ, thanks, glad you liked the pics!
I'm sure you'll have a great time there, especially in summer. I'd re-visit in a heartbeat, but my wallet wouldn't agree..haha
In my preparation for flying my MA2 there, there were 3 main hoops to jump through:
1. As you rightly pointed out, getting my EASA certificate (referred to as Remote Pilot Certificate)
For this, I applied for the online exam via the Luxembourg portal (Where and How Do I Train?) for 2 reasons:
- it's in English, whereas the german site is in, well, german
- it's free; the german site charges a fee of Euro 25
You can take the exam up to 3 times to pass, and you need a score of 75% to pass
Note : Getting yr EASA cert from Luxembourg is fine as a certificate issued by any EU country is recognised throughout the EU
2. Getting drone insurance
- this is mandatory throughout EU
- i found a German insurance provider (HDI) that can do short-term coverage, and importantly, that was accepted by the German LBA (aviation agency) when I applied for registration as an Operator (see 3 below)
- the premium was Euro 30 for a 30 day coverage policy
- you'll be issued a digital copy of the insurance policy and you'll have to enter the Policy Number and the address of the insurer when you apply for registration as an Operator
3. Registration as an Operator via the German Agency LBA
- website link : LPLUS TestStudio
- you will need to provide proof of identity, and also provide the insurance policy number and name and address of the insurer
- you will be notified via email of your registration; this can take a few days
- You will be issued a unique Operator Registration Number which you must attach to your drone. You must attach the same number to all your drones, even if you have multiple drones.

Other Tips:
1. Use the Droniq app (Droniq App) to check if your flying location is a no-fly-zone. But note that the app can only work if your GPS indicates yr location is in Germany. I used "Fake GPS" to trick my phone's GPS when I wanted to check in advance if my planned flying locations were NFZs.
2. However, I also had 1 instance where I could not takeoff even tho' the Droniq app cleared me, and this was because DJI's Fly Safe database prevented me. So this can happen, and it was annoying, to say the least.
I've also attached an outline of the current regulations; hope this helps.
In summary, I would say that I was not challenged by anyone when I flew, but it could also be that I took pains to fly from less crowded locations. in general, stay away from city areas, nature parks / reserves, highways, and roads.
Cheers, and let me know if you need further info.

Attachments

• lucidcam.com-Germany Drone Laws 2022 Top Full Guide For You.pdf
    135.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: PHZ
Dear Rwarrior:

Thank you so much for this fantastic explanation. It makes it so much easier, especially the tip about going through Luxembourg. I began using the German site with Google Chrome which has a translate feature. Not ideal.
I also have commercial operator insurance which I have been assured is good worldwide, but for €30 I will buy a policy from LBA because they will recognize and readily accept that.
You have really raised the bar in terms of quality help and information.
This is so appreciated!
I fly an Inspire 2 for work, and sometimes my Mavic 2 Pro, but will most likely buy a Mini 3 (?), or an Autel Nano+ to eliminate those annoying DJI restrictions. Sub 250 gram equipment eases some of the EASA restrictions as you know. I will be sure to send you some photos upon my return in late July.
Again, thank you for being so thorough, thoughtful and helpful.
Phillip

Reactions: rwarrior
Hi,

Alternatively you could take your exam here: AustroControl

This gives you the Austrian version of the drone "driver's license" that is also valid all around the EU . The course and exam are both free of charge. Also available in English.

Reactions: rwarrior
Dear Rwarrior:

Thank you so much for this fantastic explanation. It makes it so much easier, especially the tip about going through Luxembourg. I began using the German site with Google Chrome which has a translate feature. Not ideal.
I also have commercial operator insurance which I have been assured is good worldwide, but for €30 I will buy a policy from LBA because they will recognize and readily accept that.
You have really raised the bar in terms of quality help and information.
This is so appreciated!
I fly an Inspire 2 for work, and sometimes my Mavic 2 Pro, but will most likely buy a Mini 3 (?), or an Autel Nano+ to eliminate those annoying DJI restrictions. Sub 250 gram equipment eases some of the EASA restrictions as you know. I will be sure to send you some photos upon my return in late July.
Again, thank you for being so thorough, thoughtful and helpful.
Phillip
Hi Phillip, most welcome, and glad that I could help. I similarly received tips before my trip, from other members such as @FlyingFilmmaker. Great thing about our community is the ready help from everyone.
I look forward to hearing your feedback on your choice of next drone, as this is a decision I'm considering as well. A sub-250 gm drone with improved performance would be so useful when travelling...
And yes, pls share your photos when you're back in July. In the meantime, feel free to ask if you need more info...
Finally, if you're ever planning to come by tiny Singapore, give me a shout...would be delighted to show you around.
Cheers mate!
Ranjit

Hi rwarrior. Can I know how many days you get your eID from LBA? I just submitted mine today.
How to buy a policy from LBA? I bought mine from Getsafe. Not sure if they accept it or not.

Hi rwarrior. Can I know how many days you get your eID from LBA? I just submitted mine today.
How to buy a policy from LBA? I bought mine from Getsafe. Not sure if they accept it or not.
Hi Changhooi, if I recall correctly, it took about a week or so to get the approval from LBA.
As for the insurance, I got mine from HDI, which is based in Germany, and it is recognised by LBA.
Also, be sure to download the Droniq app, which helps you identify the no fly zones.
Hope this helps.
PS : When do you plan to visit Germany?
Cheers

Hi Changhooi, if I recall correctly, it took about a week or so to get the approval from LBA.
As for the insurance, I got mine from HDI, which is based in Germany, and it is recognised by LBA.
Also, be sure to download the Droniq app, which helps you identify the no fly zones.
Hope this helps.
PS : When do you plan to visit Germany?
Cheers
Hi. I got mine done within 3 days. Thank for your info. I got my eID with LBA. I am ready to go.
I am going to Germany on the 24th of May.
Cheers. Hope all is smooth and good weather.

Hi. I got mine done within 3 days. Thank for your info. I got my eID with LBA. I am ready to go.
I am going to Germany on the 24th of May.
Cheers. Hope all is smooth and good weather.
Ok, great news.
Have a great trip, and fly safe
Cheers

For the insurance, can i check what address did you have to input? and do you need to stay there for the entire duration of your trip? seems like only german addresses work..

I am planning to drive around Bavaria - down to Austria and Italy. Potentially also going to other countries in Europe.

Last edited:
For the insurance, can i check what address did you have to input? and do you need to stay there for the entire duration of your trip? seems like only german addresses work..

I am planning to drive around Bavaria - down to Austria and Italy. Potentially also going to other countries in Europe.
Hi there, I input a friend's residence in Germany. And there's no requirement to be staying at this address at all, much less for the whole duration of the trip.
Hope this helps, and have a wonderful holiday.
Cheers,
Ranjit

Reactions: sidewindingroads
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eng.Sabri