DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TriplTek 8 - disappointed

I’ve had my Tripltek 8 for about 6 months now. If it wasn’t for the bright screen, it would have been returned. Really dislike the Android system, it’s too heavy and it’s very confusing to upgrade DJI fly. If I had that brightness on my IPad mini , I’d be a happy camper. Really don’t understand why it had to be so heavy. The battery on the mini lasts plenty long. I only use mini when in the middle of the day here in the desert.
I have the Tripltek 7" pro and its super for me. Yes it is thick and heavy because i guess
it is classified as military grade.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I have the Tripltek 7" pro and its super for me. Yes it is thick and heavy because i guess
it is classified as military grade.
I think you're responding to a 3 month old comment on a 5 month old post. lol
However, you're RIGHT. This thing is practically bullet proof. I saw a youtube video of a truck running over it and it worked flawlessly. Not even a cracked screen.

I love my Tripltek but I understand its NOT an iPad and not really to be used for anything except flying a drone unless you want to be frustrated comparing it to your current zFold 4 or something..

Its a MARVELOUS dedicated device for your drone and I don't think you could find better if you want a big bright screen with ZERO ISSUES EVER with updates.

cables ,dji and andriod argh I got a box of of cables but i do have a few in the fly box you run into a good one every now and then

I have been reading all the rave reviews about the TriplTek 8 on this board and bought one a few days ago. Arrived today. I love the heavy, sturdy feel, robust case, bright screen, etc. I've never used an android device but it was quick and easy. Very intuitive.
Logged into my wifi, downloaded DJI Fly, but I had a difficult time syncing to drone - Mini 2. It kept intermittently saying "aircraft not connected to remote device." One minute it worked, the next it didn't. I had the cable fully pushed into both the controller and new TriplTek 8. Seemed like it wouldn't make a good connection.

I tried reversing the connector on the controller and triptek 8, used a different cable, but it kept connecting and disconnecting. Eventually I got a steady connection.

I went into ... settings and configured all 5 sections. I'm used to the apple devices. Apparently the DJI Fly software works differently on the android.
First there is no "phone charging" button.
Second, you can't configure the top left function button to any of the 6 otions in the IOS software. Only FPV/Follow and Gimble forward/down. There is no toggling to map, not changing the EV in camera settings... only those 2 options as tap and double tap.

This without even flying because I don't trust the connection from controller to TriplTek 8. So I think I'll box it up and return to amazon for the $775 refund.
Am I doing something wrong or is this the way DJI Fly works on an android?
Thanks for any advice.
I am wondering if I have a similar issue. I purchased my Pro 8 in January of last year. I haven't done much of anything with it (mostly because I use IOS devices primarily). I recently purchased an ebike and thought I might use the Pro 8 with it. When I started playing with it and comparing it to my drone controllers, I thought I might use it with my Mavic Air 2. When I connected the MA2, (with TriplTek's drone cable) the tablet pulsed, like it was connecting and disconnecting. The charging indicator on the tablet also turned on and off with the pulses. After trying a number of settings, use of elevated privileges, and factory reseting, I reached out to TriplTek support. They created an RMA and asked me to send it in. This tablet had never had anything other than the charging cable attached to it prior. TriplTek support told me that there are bent pins on the USB-C port and the tablet would require a new motherboard to fix it. Aside form the port issue, the tablet is like new. I am working through to an outcome with TriplTek

Greetings comrades

Up until recently was was just using the H.264 video encoding and 4K 30FPS format MP4 Normal.
Was able to download via the DJI Fly app directly to my TriplTek 8Pro and the only issue I had was that video playback on the TriplTek 8 Pro is often a bit jittery, not 100% smooth but not too bad.

I have recently tried taking video using H.265 (HEVC) since, 4K,30FPS,MP4,Normal. The theory for this change is so that I can get longer video footage on the same size file due to the superior compression. I understand that encoding/decoding with H.265 consumes greater CPU but this TriplTek 8Pro is quite new and running on what I expected to be decent hardware with Android10.

However, with H.265 videos I can no longer download the videos directly to my TriplTek 8Pro via DJI Fly app, the error I get is "Only JPEG Images and H.264 videos are downloadable." This sucks... I have no problem downloading the same to either my iPhone11, or my Asus ZenPad Z500M (Android7) which is 7years old.
Both of these other devices also playback both H.264 and H.265 video super smooth, way better than my TriplTek 8Pro.

I have now reached out to TriplTek for an explanation. The suspicion here is that either the graphics performance on the TriplTek just sucks or maybe just and issue with H.265 support. Needless to say I am pretty disappointed with the video playback performance of the TriplTek 8Pro.

If anybody else is seeing this issue using a TriplTek 8Pro, I'd be interested to here your feedback.

...However, with H.265 videos I can no longer download the videos directly to my TriplTek 8Pro via DJI Fly app, the error I get is "Only JPEG Images and H.264 videos are downloadable." This sucks... I have no problem downloading the same to either my iPhone11, or my Asus ZenPad Z500M (Android7) which is 7years old.
Both of these other devices also playback both H.264 and H.265 video super smooth, way better than my TriplTek 8Pro.
According to a page on the TriplTek site The TriplTek 8Pro uses a Mali T880 processor. This chipset should have hardware support for decoding H.265 encoded video. Mali T880 is just the model designation from ARM, the actual chip vendors may have made a version for TriplTek with different performance characteristics.

You are saying that you can't download the videos. That's different than not being able to play the videos. Not being able to download a file is an issue with the app trying to download the video, not with the underlying hardware.

According to a page on the TriplTek site The TriplTek 8Pro uses a Mali T880 processor. This chipset should have hardware support for decoding H.265 encoded video. Mali T880 is just the model designation from ARM, the actual chip vendors may have made a version for TriplTek with different performance characteristics.

You are saying that you can't download the videos. That's different than not being able to play the videos. Not being able to download a file is an issue with the app trying to download the video, not with the underlying hardware.
Sir, no, that is the TriplTek 7 Pro. The TriplTek 8 Pro uses the ARM Mali-G72 MP3 GPU. Trying to see where it states that this GPU has hardware support of HEVC.

Sir, no, that is the TriplTek 7 Pro. The TriplTek 8 Pro uses the ARM Mali-G72 MP3 GPU. Trying to see where it states that this GPU has hardware support of HEVC.
According to this source and this one, that GPU supports the encoding and decoding of H.265 video.

According to this source and this one, that GPU supports the encoding and decoding of H.265 video.
Yes, the TriplTek 8 Pro does seem to support H.265: Helio P60 | Intelligent Edge-AI Infusion I can also see when using Media Codec Info that the HEVC decoder is present. This makes things even more mysterious. Hopefully TriplTek support have an answer.
  • Using Media Codec Info, I checked my ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M. It has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and HEVC (H.265) ENCODER & DECODER present. Not bad for a 2016 Android7 tablet. I have no issues here.
  • I then checked my TriplTek 8 Pro tablet. I has both MPEG-4 AVC (H.264/) ENCODER & DECODER and only an HEVC (H.265) DECODER present. No HEVC(H.265) ENCODER, which I think is surprising on what I though was a superior device. This may explain why I cannot download via the DJI App any H.265 videos. It does not explain why the video playback is no poor though.

Attachments

• codec1.png
    codec1.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 4
  • HEVC.png
    HEVC.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 4
  • medietek1.png
    medietek1.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Still awaiting for a technical explanation from TriplTek support.
TriplTek did respond after several days with an unsatisfactory reply, to which I responded too and waiting again.

I even joined the "TriplTek Tablet User's Group" facebook group and posted my issue there, to see what other T8 users are seeing. This FB group is managed by a Board Member at TRIPLTEK. Without the courtesy of providing a reason, the Admin (the TriplTek person) deleted this FB group... This type of behavior isn't a good sign... Clearly the admin has determined that my feedback is not something they want address professionally nor do they want it known publicly.

I have now re-created the Facebook "TriplTek Tablet User's Group" - please join if you are interested in TriplTek tablet community.

Last edited:
TriplTek support have explained that the H.265 codec on the TriplTek 8 Pro has been disabled as a precaution to prevent overheating. Interestingly, the display on the TriplTek 8 Pro is the same as on the TriplTek 9 Pro, both are 2560x1600 (4millon pixels), which is known as Quad HD or QHD or simply 2K. However, because the TriplTek 9 Pro has a superior CPU and GPU (Hyper-Engine can handle 4K at 60 frames) it can downscale 4K video and play smooth.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54