DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with FAA and Police

I would like to see the video of the planes taking off and landing over him.
How about uploading some pics/video from the flight?

I doubt that there is a place within 20 miles of that flight that would be a more dangerous place to use a flying toy camera. So Kudos for taking maximum risk just to prove you can.

ETA; If they took your info, and ATC said they where turning you in to the FAA, your journey is just beginning. This will be an expensive lesson, weather you win lose or draw. Maybe you can hire some of the expert part 107's posting here telling you you were in the right to represent you in federal court?

I doubt that there is a place within 20 miles of that flight that would be a more dangerous place to use a flying toy camera. So Kudos for taking maximum risk just to prove you can.

ETA; If they took your info, and ATC said they where turning you in to the FAA, your journey is just beginning. This will be an expensive lesson, weather you win lose or draw. Maybe you can hire some of the expert part 107's posting here telling you you were in the right to represent you in federal court?
That's a fact Jack...be safe, fly SMART

This isn't about whether it is wise or not to fly so close to an airport; most of us would never have flown that close for the safety reasons you and others have pointed out; but the OP asked for options: and his options are to do nothing--he broke no law and he's not going into any federal court--LOL But this is a great example as to why uninformed folks (and many cities states feds Congress) all want to restrict the UAV hobby

Reactions: Drgnfli
This isn't about whether it is wise or not to fly so close to an airport; most of us would never have flown that close for the safety reasons you and others have pointed out; but the OP asked for options: and his options are to do nothing--he broke no law and he's not going into any federal court--LOL But this is a great example as to why uninformed folks (and many cities states feds Congress) all want to restrict the UAV hobby
He had the option to fly elsewhere

You should represent the OP.
The ATC he supposedly got permission from is also the complainant, the police where called, and information was recorded. The ATC said they were going to report to the FAA. I am sure the ATC is more familiar with FAA rules that any hobby drone jockey. Otherwise what would be the reason to call police and report to the FAA?

That flight was far beyond any reasonable measure of safety, and should be made an example of. I am sorry it has to happen to anybody, but big mistakes are followed with big consequences.

The ATC he supposedly got permission from is also the complainant, the police where called, and information was recorded. The ATC said they were going to report to the FAA. I am sure the ATC is more familiar with FAA rules that any hobby drone jockey. Otherwise what would be the reason to call police and report to the FAA?

That flight was far beyond any reasonable measure of safety, and should be made an example of. I am sorry it has to happen to anybody, but big mistakes are followed with big consequences.
That being said...even though he wasn't flying for$, he holds a 107 cert and should have known better and should be held to a higher standard than a hobbyist.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
He had the option to fly elsewhere

There’s was a parade so I was taking a video of everyone in the parade before we started moving. I know you can not operate a drone from a moving vehicle which is what the waivers are for.

This is a bad deal, I hope you keep us posted on how this plays out. There seems to be too much confusion on what you can and cant do with drones. It would be of great value to all of us if you let us know what happens with this. My bet is at least a letter from the FAA is on its way.

This is a bad deal, I hope you keep us posted on how this plays out. There seems to be too much confusion on what you can and cant do with drones. It would be of great value to all of us if you let us know what happens with this. My bet is at least a letter from the FAA is on its way.

I will keep everyone posted. We all know how slow the FAA works so it could be weeks or months until I hear anything. I hope nothing happens.

There’s was a parade so I was taking a video of everyone in the parade before we started moving. I know you can not operate a drone from a moving vehicle which is what the waivers are for.
Assuming you were not flying right above the people in the parade, because of course, that too is illegal. Remember that a drone can suddenly drop out of the sky and you would not want to be liable for that heavy thing to drop on someone's head.

OP can represent himself--he broke no law: FAA gets thousands of calls a day from people that do not know the law; IOP stated their complaint was only one: That he did not yield to other aircraft; OP said he did
That being said...even though he wasn't flying for$, he holds a 107 cert and should have known better and should be held to a higher standard than a hobbyist.
I agree that there is a lot of confusion! That is why I went and got my Part 107 license (Airman's Certificate) so I would not be confused; and although I may come across to you as a 'hobby drone jockey' it is because we need to pass along correct information in these forums when we see someone state a rule/law incorrectly; OP has his Part 107 license; he knew the law; made the required notification and did everything required by the FAA to take footage of a parade; I looked at the sectional chart for that airport and he is in Class G airspace without a control tower so all he has to do is notify the airport operator (manager) and he did that; From FAA website:

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

These forums are for us all to learn; I know I have learned a lot between forums; YouTube; FAA website; and studying for my exam--I hope the OP comes out OK which I think he will if everything he has told us is correct--Later boys; Texans are on and Astros tonight!

OP can represent himself--he broke no law: FAA gets thousands of calls a day from people that do not know the law; IOP stated their complaint was only one: That he did not yield to other aircraft; OP said he did

I agree that there is a lot of confusion! That is why I went and got my Part 107 license (Airman's Certificate) so I would not be confused; and although I may come across to you as a 'hobby drone jockey' it is because we need to pass along correct information in these forums when we see someone state a rule/law incorrectly; OP has his Part 107 license; he knew the law; made the required notification and did everything required by the FAA to take footage of a parade; I looked at the sectional chart for that airport and he is in Class G airspace without a control tower so all he has to do is notify the airport operator (manager) and he did that; From FAA website:

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

These forums are for us all to learn; I know I have learned a lot between forums; YouTube; FAA website; and studying for my exam--I hope the OP comes out OK which I think he will if everything he has told us is correct--Later boys; Texans are on and Astros tonight!
All that having been said COMMON SENSE AND SAFETY rule the day...be SAFE, fly SMART!!!

There is also a statement I remember reading when I registered with the FAA ,

"NEVER FLY NEAR OTHER AIRCRAFT"

"Anyone operating a UAS is responsible for flying within FAA guidelines and regulations. Operators should be aware of where it is and is not safe to fly."

And finally,

"Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Conducting an operation in spite of the objection of an airport operator MAY BE EVIDENCE THAT THE MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATOR WAS ENDANGERING THE SAFETY OF THE NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM."

i thought if you were with in 1 mile radius the drone would not even take off,outside a mile but with in 5 miles your required to notify atc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stormsignal