DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with FAA and Police

zachschul22

Reactions
Opinions Requested
Today I few a drone on a road neighboring an airport. I call the ATC before I flew and they took down my info, license info and max altitude of 200ft. They didn't say no or give any warning not to fly. So when I landed it, the police started yelling at me and threaten to arrest me and I said the ATC said it was ok, no issues. The police took down my info.
I call the ATC and they said I violated the rules of flying near an airport, when I initially said I called and said the road was next to the airport. I'm left confused and nervous because the ATC said they are going to report me to the FAA.
What are my options and what can I do.
I was flying a Mavic Pro with a part 107 license.
They said I did not give way to planes taking off even though I was very low when I saw planes taking off. These are small single engine planes BTW.
If you need any more info let me know. I'm freaking out a little.

So what exactly did they say when you gave them your info and told them what you were doing?

All they did was take down my info and said I was good to go. I said I was on the neighboring street next to the airport.

.. Me. I wouldnt be flying near an airport.

...Me I would of gotten written permission signed / dated and checked and recorded call.

...Me. I wouldnt be flying near an airport.

I know, lesson learned to never fly near an airport. I got authorization but I guess that still wasn't enough for police or the ATC. I never heard of a written document for an ATC authorization.

Was this Class G airspace?

ATC doesn't and cannot grant waivers for airspace, the FAA does. What airspace were you flying in? That matters a lot yet you didn't say. Was it a hobby flight or commercial? As a 107 certificate holder your flight can be either hobby OR commercial. Both have different requirements for flight.

ATC doesn't and cannot grant waivers for airspace, the FAA does. What airspace were you flying in? That matters a lot yet you didn't say. Was it a hobby flight or commercial? As a 107 certificate holder your flight can be either hobby OR commercial. Both have different requirements for flight.
Flying by an airport!! Really!

Flying by an airport!! Really!

In many cases there is nothing wrong with flying by an airport; He has his Airman Certificate (license) and depending on the airspace he's in and whether or not he's flying commercial or hobby he might not have even had to notify the ATC--not enough info for any of us to pass judgment or to say yay or nay!

And you don't need an FAA waiver if you are flying by the rules; waivers are for not following the rules--And in many cases you don't even need ATC's permission and in some cases you only need to notify them--again--depends on the airspace/airport/commercial/hobby/etc--Also you don' t need written permission to just routinely fly your drone--you just need to notify--and his call log on his phone proves it--OP needs to give us much more info; Personally I would never fly adjacent to an airport because this is exactly what happens in many cases--people are uneducated on drone rules just as we all were at one time;

OP: Why did you notify ATC? Were you flying commercially or as a hobby? (It matters) What airspace were you in? Or what was the airport? If you can't answer all those questions we can't help you--

In many cases there is nothing wrong with flying by an airport; He has his Airman Certificate (license) and depending on the airspace he's in and whether or not he's flying commercial or hobby he might not have even had to notify the ATC--not enough info for any of us to pass judgment or to say yay or nay!

And you don't need an FAA waiver if you are flying by the rules; waivers are for not following the rules--And in many cases you don't even need ATC's permission and in some cases you only need to notify them--again--depends on the airspace/airport/commercial/hobby/etc--Also you don' t need written permission to just routinely fly your drone--you just need to notify--and his call log on his phone proves it--OP needs to give us much more info; Personally I would never fly adjacent to an airport because this is exactly what happens in many cases--people are uneducated on drone rules just as we all were at one time;

OP: Why did you notify ATC? Were you flying commercially or as a hobby? (It matters) What airspace were you in? Or what was the airport? If you can't answer all those questions we can't help you--

In AirMap it said to notify Atc so I did.
I did not check which airspace I was in. Just followed airmap and I was below 140 ft.
Orange County Airport in NY.
I have a part 107 flying under hobby.

Flying under Part 107 there are no advisories for the area, however it is not a good idea to fly that close even with ATC permission.
upload_2018-9-9_1-4-53.png

Reactions: Darth SHO and R.J.
Flying under Part 336 (Hobby) you will get the advisory to contact ATC.
upload_2018-9-9_1-8-31.png

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d