DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

True low temp flying M2P

Aikidoamigo

Reactions
What’s the lowest temp you’ve flown in without issue?

Appreciating flight times are reduced has anyone flown circa -10 or lower?

We have a trip to Sweden this next month so would like to get some great footage with our M2P

What’s the lowest temp you’ve flown in without issue?

Appreciating flight times are reduced has anyone flown circa -10 or lower?

We have a trip to Sweden this next month so would like to get some great footage with our M2P
About minus 4 Inthink but had to warm battery up in my pocket first as Dji GO kept warming that battery was too cold. I seem to recall I did lose flight time, was down by maybe 15 percent.

Hi! I’ve flown in -20 F with batteries warmed by remaining in my coat pocket. Keeping the batteries warm & not at ambient temperature is the key. No issue & no appreciable decline of flight time.

The draw of the batteries will be enough to keep them warm during flight.

Reactions: Aikidoamigo
Great thanks it’s the kind of info I was hoping for, if we keep the batteries warm then at least we can get some shots?

Reactions: Vitamin-J
Great thanks it’s the kind of info I was hoping for, if we keep the batteries warm then at least we can get some shots[emoji106]
Yes keep them in your pocket and take them out last minute and you should be fine. Keep a close eye on the app for any warnings and be aware you will likely get decreased flight time and you should be fine.

I have flown at -20 c many times. Keep MP2 warm and batteries warm. One important thing to remember is when you bring the drone back into a warm environment there could be condensation collect on all the surfaces. I take the battery out right away and leave the gimbal cover off for a while to let the drone normalize to the inside temp. Light rub with a dry cloth - good for next flight.

Reactions: Gindra
I have flown at -20 c many times. Keep MP2 warm and batteries warm. One important thing to remember is when you bring the drone back into a warm environment there could be condensation collect on all the surfaces. I take the battery out right away and leave the gimbal cover off for a while to let the drone normalize to the inside temp. Light rub with a dry cloth - good for next flight.
The method I've used for regular camera equipment is to put camera bag+all into a trash bag ,seal it,and let it warm for an hour+.Then you can remove it without condensation being an issue.

Being from northern Ontario I fly in the cold quite a bit. My coldest flight has been -36 C/-32 F. I have noticed only a very slight reduction in flight time at this temp.
My best recommendation is to make sure your batteries are warm before takeoff. When I've finished flying I usually put the drone into a ziplock bag and suck all the air out before I bring it inside, this prevents condensation on the craft.
Cheers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan