DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trust Card

leghold

Reactions
Are part 107 Pilots required to have a trust card or is that just required by recreational pilots?

Yes. My understanding is that Part 107 pilots need the Trust certification too. If you're already Part 107 do the Trust thing when you have a few minutes to spare. I did mine in the car with slow internet in about 15 minutes. IMO it's kind of stupid to require Part 107 pilots to go through the nonsense when they've already been tested to death with much more depth without anything new to bring to the party.

Part 107 allows you to fly for any purpose, including recreation, as long as you are licensed and abide by all portions of Part 107. There is no need to take the TRUST exam in order to fly under Part 107.

Section 44809 is the exception to Part 107 that allows someone to fly without a license, providing they comply with all of the section 44809 limitations. One of the limitations is passing the TRUST exam and carrying proof of passage. Another section 44809 limitation is flying for strictly recreational purposes.

A part 107 pilot may fly under section 44809, but in order to do so, he must pass the TRUST exam and carry proof of passage.

On one hand, there aren't many things that 44809 would allow someone with a Part 107 license to do, which he couldn't already do with just his Part 107 license. So there's little reason to take the TRUST exam.

On the other hand, the TRUST exam is free, quick, and easy. It's always possible you could run into a law enforcement officer who is familiar with the TRUST exam requirement but unfamiliar with the Part 107 rules, and such a person may be under the mistaken idea that all drone pilots must carry a copy of certificate showing TRUST passage. So having that TRUST exam certificate on hand might be a useful shortcut to end a law enforcement encounter, even in situations where it's not technically required.

I have both my 107 license and TRUST certificate, and carry them both when I fly. I've never been asked to show either. Almost all of my flying would be legal under either set of rules. It was easier to get the TRUST certificate than it has been to type up this post.

Part 107 allows you to fly for any purpose, including recreation, as long as you are licensed and abide by all portions of Part 107. There is no need to take the TRUST exam in order to fly under Part 107.

there aren't many things that 44809 would allow someone with a Part 107 license to do, which he couldn't already do with just his Part 107 license. So there's little reason to take the TRUST exam.

True, it makes very little sense for a part 107 pilot to have to do the Trust test / carry the certificate.
Dealing with govcos worldwide sometimes makes very little sense.

Not sure you are right on a part 107 not needing Trust for rec flights.
In many threads to do with Trust, there are numerous pilots in the industry that say yes, a part 107 does need Trust to fly recreational.
If so, perhaps it's just to ensure LEO and other such officials know what to ask for in the vent they are asked to check out a particular drone flight.

I'm sure from those same threads / members comments, that if flying for a commercial reason, then the part 107 is fine.
Obviously a pilot might have some form of document to show when asked by a LEO etc.

I found this, when searching part 107 section 44809 . . .

Is this from May 2019 pre Trust, and only deals with rules at that time for rec and commercial flight ?

True, it makes very little sense for a part 107 pilot to have to do the Trust test / carry the certificate.

In many threads to do with Trust, there are numerous pilots in the industry that say yes, a part 107 does need Trust to fly recreational.
If they're using "fly recreational" as a shortcut term for "fly under the recreational rules", in other words, "fly under 44809", they're correct. Anyone, even someone with a Part 107 license, needs to pass the TRUST exam to fly under those rules. Just read 44809 (a)(7) if you doubt.

If they're using "fly recreational" to mean "fly for recreational purposes", they're wrong. You can fly for recreational purposes using Part 107. Part 107 does not contain the word "recreational" nor does it contain the word "commercial". It makes no distinction about whether a flight is for one reason or the other (or something somewhat in between).

But suppose I'm totally wrong, and Part 107 prohibits recreational flight under its rules. If challenged, a Part 107 pilot would just have to say, "but officer, I was making this flight with the idea that I could post some video footage on a monetized YouTube channel, so my flight is not recreational, and therefore qualifies as a Part 107 flight".

But that's baloney. Part 107 doesn't insist you collect money for every flight you make.

But suppose I'm totally wrong, and Part 107 prohibits recreational flight under its rules. If challenged, a Part 107 pilot would just have to say, "but officer, I was making this flight with the idea that I could post some video footage on a monetized YouTube channel, so my flight is not recreational, and therefore qualifies as a Part 107 flight".

But that's baloney. Part 107 doesn't insist you collect money for every flight you make.

No, as far as I've gathered if you are part 107, you can fly rec anytime as a 'normal person', and yes you can always make something up to get out of any drama.
That's perhaps why some say / think they should be Trust-ed to show LEO and such if asked.
I'll go find a few posts / threads, hopefully by some of the people I assume would be aware.

These are actually in support of what you said Rich . . .

* See below notation . . .

* This is just one thread of many, Vics first post above "Those with the Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate can still fly recreationally without a TRUST, as long as they are flying under the Part 107 regulations. In that case, they don't need a TRUST completion cert on them."
So what differences are there ?
"If they fly outside those rules, they do need one. The examples are if you want to fly an aircraft over 55 pounds, or if you want to fly at night under a CBO that doesn't require 3SM strobes. If that case, you need to have your TRUST."

Thanks, good to know in most normal circumstances US pilots flying part 107 don't require Trust certification.
I hope LE are trained to know this.

Reactions: dronerdave
@Rich QR et al..
It’s interesting that you did point out all of the technicalities between 44809 and part 107. Let’s face it, the FAA rules are often goofy if not both confusing and ludicrous. What makes it confusing is that a part 107 pilot can fly commercially, or can fly recreationally, but it is often confusing at the time of flight. What makes it confusing is it a part 107 pilot flying in filming recreationally can at a later date decide to turn it into a commercial project. Or at least that’s the way it was. But if somehow you were forced to declare but you were flying under 44809, even-so it would seem you could turn into a part 107 project. Would converging a recreational film for commercial use be against the new regulations?

In short the rules have become nuanced to the points of ridiculous stupidity.

@Rich QR et al..
It’s interesting that you did point out all of the technicalities between 44809 and part 107. Let’s face it, the FAA rules are often goofy if not both confusing and ludicrous. What makes it confusing is that a part 107 pilot can fly commercially, or can fly recreationally, but it is often confusing at the time of flight. What makes it confusing is it a part 107 pilot flying in filming recreationally can at a later date decide to turn it into a commercial project. Or at least that’s the way it was. But if somehow you were forced to declare but you were flying under 44809, even-so it would seem you could turn into a part 107 project. Would converging a recreational film for commercial use be against the new regulations?

In short the rules have become nuanced to the points of ridiculous stupidity.
If a Part 107 pilot is flying to maintain proficiency then perhaps it is not a recreational flight as much as training.
I would think a 107 pilot could turn anything into a commercial flight on the spot. And in reality, I can't imagine a scenario where a 107 pilot would be called out for not having a TRUST card....can you? But in the end, it is 5 or 10 minutes of your time to just do it.

If a Part 107 pilot is flying to maintain proficiency then perhaps it is not a recreational flight as much as training.
I would think a 107 pilot could turn anything into a commercial flight on the spot. And in reality, I can't imagine a scenario where a 107 pilot would be called out for not having a TRUST card....can you? But in the end, it is 5 or 10 minutes of your time to just do it.
You make my point and then some.
Flying is a perishable skill and requires constant practice to become and remain proficient. I'm in a project drought right now and 90% of my flying is for practice and proficiency... and to check to see if my drones develop any issues that I can catch in practice before I get out on a project, especially a paid one.

And as you say, I'm sure that if you have a Part 107 cert in your pocket nobody is going to ask to see your Trust document. A good parallel to show the idiocracy that seems replete in current day bureaucracy is the example of a requiring trucker with a CDL license (commercial) to take a second test to drive a car.

Again, even as Part 107 pilot I did take the Trust "test" just to see what it was about. I suppose for non Part 107 flyers the Trust thing isn't a bad idea. We all need to know the basic rules. But is anybody even going to attempt enforce something like that?

Everyone should go along with it even though it is a little Mickey Mouse in the fact that I'm not sure that a record is kept by the FAA. It is informative and for that reason alone well worth the time. I have a 107 for the same reason, just to show good intent, but I have to admit that as a licensed fixed wing pilot the exam was no more difficult than the TRUST.

Everyone should go along with it even though it is a little Mickey Mouse in the fact that I'm not sure that a record is kept by the FAA. It is informative and for that reason alone well worth the time. I have a 107 for the same reason, just to show good intent, but I have to admit that as a licensed fixed wing pilot the exam was no more difficult than the TRUST.
No record is kept by the FAA nor the testing site. It is up to you to print it out and keep it with you.

IMO when you have laws and regulations that make no practical sense, have confusion or overlap or carry no real weight it causes people to ignore it. But not only that it devalues not only that rule/law but other laws and regulations. How many times are we seeing authorities, even those who write the laws allow massive violations of those very laws? Common sense seems to have left the building a few decades ago.

Reactions: hiflyer201
No record is kept by the FAA nor the testing site. It is up to you to print it out and keep it with you.

That seems crazy, here we have a fairly new 'Operator Accreditation' we need an ARN (Aviation Reference Number) through CASA, and do a fairly straight forward test showing we know the rules (so ignorance of rules is not an excuse if breaking them !).
The test and accreditation is all recorded to your file and you can go in and see your info via your CASA account.

How many times are we seeing authorities, even those who write the laws allow massive violations of those very laws?

Indeed !
And then if there's a problem, they introduce a new slightly modified law, when they have at least one perfectly relevant existing law that could have dealt with whatever issue it was / is.

The brief amount of time it takes to get the TRUST certificate is much less than the time it takes to review the links and posts referencing the need to have both Part 107 and TRUST certificate. IMHO having both is the most cost/time effective means to solve the issue so I can spend more time flying ?

The brief amount of time it takes to get the TRUST certificate is much less than the time it takes to review the links and posts referencing the need to have both Part 107 and TRUST certificate. IMHO having both is the most cost/time effective means to solve the issue so I can spend more time flying ?
Exactly! Just take the TRUST test. It is a few minutes, one time and you are done.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Are part 107 Pilots required to have a trust card or is that just required by recreational pilots?
According to Greg at the Pilot Institute, YES. I did mine and it only took 15 minutes. It is in my wallet along with my 107 Card and drone registration cards.

To Fly Rec, you are correct, you need TRUST, even if you have part 107.

To go from a Rec flight to a Commercial, all you have to do is say you are taking images to "consider" using on your instagram, website, facebook for advertising or for a friend. It is immediately a commercial part 107 flight, even if you don't actually end up using any of the photography. Of course we won't know for sure until a judge rules on it. I am not sure why anyone would want to claim a Rec flight if you have Part 107 done. Every flight I make is part 107, because if I get a really cool unique photo or video, I am 100% going to try and use it, and if I get a bunch of junk images I don't want to use, well my intent was still commercial in nature. I take dozens of photos each flight, and then might use 1, 10, or none just based on what's in them.

Having said that, to the OP as everyone else has said, just take it. It took more to post this and read the responses than it would to get the Cert, print it out and carry it with your 107 license or drone (I keep a copy in my wallet with 107 card, and a copy in each of my drone cases with registration paperwork).

To Fly Rec, you are correct, you need TRUST, even if you have part 107.

After reading @Rich QR posts, I searched and it SEMS to be that if you are flying under most conditions we pilots would be for recreation, a part 107 would be ok . . . to quote my post at post #8 . . .

* This is just one thread of many, Vics first post above "Those with the Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate can still fly recreationally without a TRUST, as long as they are flying under the Part 107 regulations. In that case, they don't need a TRUST completion cert on them."
So what differences are there ?
"If they fly outside those rules, they do need one. The examples are if you want to fly an aircraft over 55 pounds, or if you want to fly at night under a CBO that doesn't require 3SM strobes. If that case, you need to have your TRUST."

Obviously this would be very rare for most of us here.

To go from a Rec flight to a Commercial, all you have to do is say you are taking images to "consider" using on your instagram, website, facebook for advertising or for a friend. It is immediately a commercial part 107 flight, even if you don't actually end up using any of the photography.

For sure, in fact someone above pointed out all they need to say is it's a training (or settings) flight.
Rules that are so difficult . . . no impossible to enforce really are a waste of everyones time.

Section 44809 is the exception to Part 107 that allows someone to fly without a license, providing they comply with all of the section 44809 limitations. One of the limitations is passing the TRUST exam and carrying proof of passage. Another section 44809 limitation is flying for strictly recreational purposes.

A part 107 pilot may fly under section 44809, but in order to do so, he must pass the TRUST exam and carry proof of passage.

On one hand, there aren't many things that 44809 would allow someone with a Part 107 license to do, which he couldn't already do with just his Part 107 license. So there's little reason to take the TRUST exam.

On the other hand, the TRUST exam is free, quick, and easy. It's always possible you could run into a law enforcement officer who is familiar with the TRUST exam requirement but unfamiliar with the Part 107 rules, and such a person may be under the mistaken idea that all drone pilots must carry a copy of certificate showing TRUST passage. So having that TRUST exam certificate on hand might be a useful shortcut to end a law enforcement encounter, even in situations where it's not technically required.

I have both my 107 license and TRUST certificate, and carry them both when I fly. I've never been asked to show either. Almost all of my flying would be legal under either set of rules. It was easier to get the TRUST certificate than it has been to type up this post.
I have come to the conclusion that since I may use any footage that I fly for my Youtube channel, website or Marketing, I will never really fly under the Recreational Carve out again. Any flight for fun for me is testing equipment capabilities, proficiency and training.
Will have my wife take the TRUST test tough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661