DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to understand Attitude Indicator MA2

The first method is excellent confirmation - the Alternate Method only works when the Blue Dot is visible. The red line is always the direct line between the Drone and the HP or RC but doesn’t indicate the direction the antennae are pointing. You have to scale so all the indicators are visible.

Here is a new video showing the three modes of the indicator:
So to find my drone in the sky if I lose track of it I just spin around till the arrow is pointing to it??

I see there is another update available, unfortunately it does not fix the indicator!

Learning better to use the map overlay, it seems to serve a purpose where as ,to me anyway, the attitude indicator does not.
I keep playing with the indicator and I don't really see a use. I never piloted a real plane so there is no correlation there. And the little blue dot with the pointer , on mine anyway, doesn't point properly/ If I point the controller directly at the drone the pointer points 90 degrees off.

It still has to rely on the device compass. If the device compass is off by 90 degrees, so will the blue dot. That has not changed with the attitude indicator or use of map for orientation.

What has changed though is you now have an external reference: the N on the outer circle.

I believe it's showing the position of the RC/HP in relation to the AC, the opposite of what's desired.
The old indicator showed things from your perspective. No matter where you moved, you are still where you are. From the indicators point of view, the RC never moves, the world moves around it. so you/the RC are always in the center.

The new indicator shows things from the aircraft's perspective. So it is always in the center. and everything rotates around it.

The triangle is the RC.

The old indicator showed things from your perspective. No matter where you moved, you are still where you are. From the indicators point of view, the RC never moves, the world moves around it. so you/the RC are always in the center.

The new indicator shows things from the aircraft's perspective. So it is always in the center. and everything rotates around it.

The triangle is the RC.
I'm thinking when I'm flying "my perspective" is all that really matters. Its the only perspective I have after all.

Wow. It’s amazing that a company as big as DJI can create something so confusing to so many of its customers (or just a poor design). It’s a little confusing to me as well and although I understand it better now, it just seems like a crappy design. Regardless, they should make an official explainer video, especially for things relating to in-flight assistance features. Not much assistance if you just leave it up to your customers to figure it out. If this was a product that didn’t have any real world concerns if problems were to arise ,then I wouldn’t think twice.. but for a small aircraft in a world already largely on edge about them.. not the smartest move on DJI’s part. If they are going to dominate the drone market, then they should have the care and desire to make every change or update complete with detailed instruction, no matter how small. Even if a large portion of users don’t need them, there will always be plenty that really need the factual data.. not consumer guesswork. As a drone pilot, we are expected to take every detail very seriously, it’s only fair that the manufacturer should be taking it 100 times more seriously. If they aren’t, then they are taking the current boom in drone enthusiasm (huge profits) for granted. I really wish 3DR had stayed in the game. They wouldn’t do crap like this.

Reactions: A.O.
Thinking it through . . . WATCH
BrokenAero, thanks for the video. I was reading through this thread, I was asking myself why is this topic needed. After watching your video I confirmed my question as , it is not needed. When GPS is working this should not be needed anymore than the AC and the HP if you lose sight of your drone and need to get closer to HP. I’m not sure if the compass requires a GPS to be accurate and provide any help. Maybe I’m missing a point and why this is important.

The new indicator is 'drone' oriented not 'controller' or 'drone operator' oriented as the drone sign always stations at the centre with blue dot representing the drone operator moving around. It is difficult for drone operator to intepretate swifely and take quick action to change the controller orientation as needed to get better signal. In particular, the controller is required to be adjusted upright when the drone is right above the controller.

On the other hand, the indicator is good to provide pitch and rolling information so that operator can know the wind condition and adjust the drone accordingly if necessary.

I suspect DJI took their current approach of AC centered they could show the HP and RC position at the same time. You can always get the RC centric orientation from the map.

The RC orientation is in the attitude indicator, though hard to see and often hidden by the HP indicator.
But it still has the same problems the other orientation indicator had, relying on the device compass and possibly offset by the app.

I think most of us can be made happy if we had settings as to what object is centric.

I thought that's what an attitude indicator was supposed to do... no?

The old style one on the DJI FLY any way did just that, I could look at the screen and see what direction the drone was from me and which way it was pointing , this one tells me almost nothing.
exactly mine is off by 40deg and I am afraid to even use it

exactly mine is off by 40deg and I am afraid to even use it
I agree the one that was always in the center on the bottom I could easily understand what it was telling me to do but this new one is garbage at least I don't get it at all

To everyone on this thread: “Attitude” is not synonymous with “orientation.” Must be clear with your terms. Attitude is about the drone’s relationship to the horizon. That’s not what the map/orientation visual is communicating. It’s simple: Yellow dot with H is your Home Point (where the drone launched from); blue triangle is drone and direction of its heading (point is front); blue dot is controller and the tiny blue triangle attached to it is direction of antenna signal.

I know one thing, this thread has changed the attitudes of some of the pilots here. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Winngrip and A.O.
Not mine though! ?

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580