DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to understand Attitude Indicator MA2

A.O.

Reactions
Ok, first I put this in general discussions because this indicator seems to go across the board on DJI drones even though this new one is different than the Go app I'm thinking.
Been talking to Repaid 1 and others but not understanding..
In the Go app, and with the Spark and everywhere else I have looked at videos, the red drone indicator turns on its axis showing you the way it is heading, also the little white triangle indicator at the top of the circle stays in position and the home indicator stays in the middle of the circle.
On the new one for the DJI Fly fly app with my MA2 is COMPLETELY different. With mine the red drone indicator stays stationary in the center of the circle field, when I turn my drone the entire circle around the drone indicator turns/spins moving the RC indicator and the home point around the drone indicator. The drone indicator never moves, it doesn't turn, it doesn't move out of the center of the circle it is always stationary. And if while I'm standing there I turn, nothing on the screen changes...

So ALL the videos of the attitude indicator trying to explain it do NOT correlate to the one on the DJI Fly app/MA2...

So this one does not behave like mine at all!!

As I understand the movements of the drone and indicator in that video the pitch and roll seem to behave as an arificial horizon, indicating the horizon's positon as seen by a pilot, with a stiff neck, strapped to the drone.
With regards to yaw etc. the indicator shows what is in front of the the drone.
I like that but I would prefer the solid blue below the horizon of the Go4. The signal white line seems a bit thin but I suppose solid blue would mask a large portion of the display area which would be significant when the drone was pointing away from the hp.

From memory the go4 app shows the correct horizon response for either pitch or roll but the 'wrong' response for roll or pitch, I don't remember which way around the combination is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have watched that one it is how I learned to turn the Indicator on. it does not tell me how to use it however.
But that is the way the indicator works on my new DJI FLY App and the MA2... which is completely different than the others..
Got a video that explains how to use it?

Sorry I pressed the wrong button and posted the video without my text, I have added the latter now, I might try it if it comes out for android but will wait to see what bug reports come in first.

The indicator should be bigger too, same size as Go. Maybe it's the current size that had DJI swap positions of the AC and you/HP.

Yeah well it gives me no indication of anything going on!!

Are you saying it is stationary i.e. white line does not move and the display does not revolve?

Are you saying it is stationary i.e. white line does not move and the display does not revolve?
The red drone in the middle stays stationary in the middle, everything else revolves around it

With version 1.2.2 of Fly, it seems DJI didn't know if they wanted to integrate the functions of a turn and bank indicator or an artificial horizon into the attitude indicator. So, it appears they implemented both, with confusing results.

In the roll axis, the two white lines in the AI act like a turn and bank indicator on a fullsize aircraft by showing the bank angle of the quad. Bank left and the lines tilt to the left. Bank right and the lines tilt right.

However, in the pitch axis, the AI instead acts like the artificial horizon on a fullsize aircraft: lowering the quad's nose causes the whites lines to rise in the AI, and pitching the nose up moves the white lines down.

Very confusing. My personal preference would be for an artificial horizon to be correctly implemented into the AI, with different colors for the sky and ground (blue and brown, like in most aircraft artificial horizons). Visualizing a horizon to discern the attitude of an aircraft seems more intuitive, and the two separate blocks of colors would be far easier to see than the current two tiny white lines in the AI.

With version 1.2.2 of Fly, it seems DJI didn't know if they wanted to integrate the functions of a turn and bank indicator or an artificial horizon into the attitude indicator. So, it appears they implemented both, with confusing results.

In the roll axis, the two white lines in the AI act like a turn and bank indicator on a fullsize aircraft by showing the bank angle of the quad. Bank left and the lines tilt to the left. Bank right and the lines tilt right.

However, in the pitch axis, the AI instead acts like the artificial horizon on a fullsize aircraft: lowering the quad's nose causes the whites lines to rise in the AI, and pitching the nose up moves the white lines down.

Very confusing. My personal preference would be for an artificial horizon to be correctly implemented into the AI, with different colors for the sky and ground (blue and brown, like in most aircraft artificial horizons). Visualizing a horizon to discern the attitude of an aircraft seems more intuitive, and the two separate blocks of colors would be far easier to see than the current two tiny white lines in the AI.
But still it gives no indication of the position of the drone in the actual sky!:(

? It’s an attitude indicator... what did I miss?
I thought that's what an attitude indicator was supposed to do... no?

The old style one on the DJI FLY any way did just that, I could look at the screen and see what direction the drone was from me and which way it was pointing , this one tells me almost nothing.

Reactions: Winngrip
But still it gives no indication of the position of the drone in the actual sky!:(
I think it's there. I was watching this YouTube video of a gentleman explaining (in Spanish) the new features of 1.2.2, and noticed the AI had this:

2020-12-26_164730.jpg

Not being fluent in Spanish, I couldn't understand what he was saying, but it seems to me that the little blue triangle attached to the yellow "H" circle indicates the position of the quad relative to the homepoint, as the triangle was moving around the circumference of the circle when the gent was explaining something.

I might be wrong, though. Perhaps someone fluent in Spanish can watch the video and confirm if that's what the blue triangle indicates.

I think it's there. I was watching this YouTube video of a gentleman explaining (in Spanish) the new features of 1.2.2, and noticed the AI had this:

View attachment 120121

Not being fluent in Spanish, I couldn't understand what he was saying, but it seems to me that the little blue triangle attached to the yellow "H" circle indicates the position of the quad relative to the homepoint, as the triangle was moving around the circumference of the circle when the gent was explaining something.

I might be wrong, though. Perhaps someone fluent in Spanish can watch the video and confirm if that's what the blue triangle indicates.
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Hmmm... I'm thinking the blue triangle next to the home point is the RC

Last edited:
Reactions: Pautna

View attachment 120121

I believe it's showing the position of the RC/HP in relation to the AC, the opposite of what's desired.

Reactions: A.O.

understand Attitude Indicator?​

Attachments

• 20201227_152652.jpg
    20201227_152652.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Ok, first I put this in general discussions because this indicator seems to go across the board on DJI drones even though this new one is different than the Go app I'm thinking.
Been talking to Repaid 1 and others but not understanding..
In the Go app, and with the Spark and everywhere else I have looked at videos, the red drone indicator turns on its axis showing you the way it is heading, also the little white triangle indicator at the top of the circle stays in position and the home indicator stays in the middle of the circle.
On the new one for the DJI Fly fly app with my MA2 is COMPLETELY different. With mine the red drone indicator stays stationary in the center of the circle field, when I turn my drone the entire circle around the drone indicator turns/spins moving the RC indicator and the home point around the drone indicator. The drone indicator never moves, it doesn't turn, it doesn't move out of the center of the circle it is always stationary. And if while I'm standing there I turn, nothing on the screen changes...

So ALL the videos of the attitude indicator trying to explain it do NOT correlate to the one on the DJI Fly app/MA2...

So this one does not behave like mine at all!!

That video is so confusing and useless to me. Not your fault thanks for sharing but really lame layout on DJI part.

That video is so confusing and useless to me. Not your fault thanks for sharing but really lame layout on DJI part.
I agree, pretty useless video, that's the point I was trying to get across!!
Definitely a "lame layout", looks like I'll have to relearn to fly without an indicator, so a little blind! Sure wish I could figure out how to put the last version on my ipad, the one on my phone works perfect!

I agree, pretty useless video, that's the point I was trying to get across!!
Definitely a "lame layout", looks like I'll have to relearn to fly without an indicator, so a little blind! Sure wish I could figure out how to put the last version on my ipad, the one on my phone works perfect!
I am not sure why DJI has to constantly change thing up that work fine. Every company seems to do this too so aggravating.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98