DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TSA & Extra batteries

GwynnLewis

Reactions
Has anyone gone through US TSA carrying 3 extra Mavic 2 Pro batteries? Any problems? Also, I'm traveling to Thailand with the batteries & drone, anyone have any experience doing that? I have Lipo bags for them & the controller.

While I wasn't traveling to Thailand, I've gone through TSA with two Mavic's and 7 total batteries. No questions were asked, though at a couple of places they did swab the batteries I guess looking for explosives.

Reactions: Carb63 and Thomas B
same, traveled plenty of times through various airports, to include stateside TSA ones without any issues carrying batteries and my drone(s).

I think this is probably technically over the airlines limit but I don't know that TSA shares this info with the airlines/ I've flown within the US and never has TSA say anything and I've had 6 batteries. I've never had TSA even review the batteries to see what the watts (?) add up to. I've heard of someone telling the airlines about the batteries and they did not allow him to board. So you may be "required" to follow the airlines rules but if they don't ask.....

Reactions: Badbart
I was flying stateside a month ago and waiting for my Delta flight. I saw a sign talking about lithium battery restrictions and anything over XXXwatt hours was not allowed. I quickly peeked in my case and checked a battery. Mavic2 batteries are well below the limit, they are only 60. Limit is 160 PER BATTERY not combined. (DJI Mavic 2 battery has 59.29wH )

Are lithium batteries allowed on Delta Airlines?
Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. ... Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage.

Baggage Restrictions & Restricted Items : Delta Baggage : Delta Air Lines

Per TSA website:
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours
Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: No
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours may be allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval, but are limited to two spare batteries per passenger. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.

Reactions: Badbart and Gindra
What dji battery is more than 100watt hours? Inspire?

Has anyone gone through US TSA carrying 3 extra Mavic 2 Pro batteries? Any problems? Also, I'm traveling to Thailand with the batteries & drone, anyone have any experience doing that? I have Lipo bags for them & the controller.
As far as Thailand... start here.

I normally put the whole padded MP2 case in a check bag with big signs on the case and i side saying there are NO BATTERIES in this bag and they look anyway and leave me their note. I carry the batteries and even the Smart Controller since it has a battery built in. I have had no problems internationally or regionally with that plan. I hand carry the works in a small Pelican case for the Mavic Mini. Again, no hassles. Have had batteries swabbed a couple times.

Last edited:
I've gone through TSA numerous times with three extra Mavic Air batteries in Lipo bags. They have NEVER been questioned. I carry them on in my camera case. I've been from Miami to Bozeman, Montana, Miami to Iceland, and Miami to Qatar/Zambia?madagascar, each time with four batteries- one in the Mavic Air and three in the lipo cases.

I travel extensively with my drone to FL and NY. They scan the carry backpack all batteries in lipo bags, an occasional swab of my mavic pro charger pack , other than that, the conversation is how does it take pictures ? Lol. ??

We travel with my drone and underwater photography equipment which includes a lot of rechargeable batteries and haven’t had a problem. I’m going to the Philippines this month and it’ll be my second trip in with my Mavic 2 Pro. Check for any rule changes before traveling to oversea destinations to make sure it’s leg, I found that Bonaire will not let you enter with your drone so I’ve crossed that dive location of the list. I just keep all my battery’s in a carryon and it hasn’t been a problem.

Reactions: TheRock and Badbart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman