DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turn off engines or not?

HerManSoft

Reactions
Bad experience ending up in a tree and I tried it for the first time, a few days ago.

What I wonder now is:

I was right to lower the levers to turn off the engines?

maybe not..

here are my considerations:

while he chopped branches or rolled down between them, he somehow held back his fall.

With the engines off he fell on the ground.

The question is:

if I had left everything turned on, did you have any hope of stabilizing yourself before you hit the ground?

or did I do well to turn it off?

thank you for future advice that I hope you will not need in the future.Screenshot_20190324-150715_Video%20Player.jpeg

I think the answer to that will always vary on the particular crash.
Sometimes you’ll hit a branch one way and break props, lose total control, same branch might deflect and control regained.
Very hard to make those calls at the time, you have like a matter of a second or two to decide amongst the chaos / panic of the crash.

Reactions: CJH92474
I think the answer to that will always vary on the particular crash.
Sometimes you’ll hit a branch one way and break props, lose total control, same branch might deflect and control regained.
Very hard to make those calls at the time, you have like a matter of a second or two to decide amongst the chaos / panic of the crash.
true, every case is in itself.

But do you think it's better to turn off the engines, or let them go, hoping it will regain control and stability?

I was wondering what the minor damage is, not having much experience (fortunately) with branches, shrubs, trees or other similar obstacles.

thank you for your kind reply

Reactions: Leelec
But do you think it's better to turn off the engines, or let them go, hoping it will regain control and stability?

thank you for your kind reply

I think it might be like flipping a coin to decide what’s best (heads or tails ?) every time you bump into something.

Of course by the time you grabbed a coin and did that it’d be all over.

Fine tree branches are often hard to see (as are power lines and spider webs etc) on the monitor when flying, they always show up later on ‘the big screen’ though.

Engines = internal combustion powered

Or steam. :)

Was I right to lower the levers to turn off the engines?

HMS: I second the emotions of others, it's a toss up but I think most of us would keep trying to fly until it became obvious that wouldn't work and by then, in most cases I suspect, the drone is on or near the ground anyway with no time to turn off the engines...er motors. <bigger grin>

Glad she escaped without damage and I also agree that it can be very difficult to see fine branches or wires even with a large, bright display. For SURE you'll be watching out now. :)

I think it might be like flipping a coin to decide what’s best (heads or tails ?) every time you bump into something.

Of course by the time you grabbed a coin and did that it’d be all over.

Fine tree branches are often hard to see (as are power lines and spider webs etc) on the monitor when flying, they always show up later on ‘the big screen’ though.
Bad experience ending up in a tree and I tried it for the first time, a few days ago.

What I wonder now is:

I was right to lower the levers to turn off the engines?

maybe not..

here are my considerations:

while he chopped branches or rolled down between them, he somehow held back his fall.

With the engines off he fell on the ground.

The question is:

if I had left everything turned on, did you have any hope of stabilizing yourself before you hit the ground?

or did I do well to turn it off?

thank you for future advice that I hope you will not need in the future.View attachment 67067
I'd let them go just let go of the sticks and 50/50 chances it will be hovering in place that's from my experience

so I wanted to be clever and active track my walk from the parking area of the trailhead down to the lake... I had the AC maybe 8' to 10' off the deck. It did just fine as the trail was about 10' wide and there was plenty of room between the trees...

or so I thought - a small tree had some long skinny limbs which the blades barely snipped at.. I was able to lower the AC and it traveled on out... thought I had won...

then the next tree which I should have seen grabbed the AC and started punching it in the mouth. The M2Z tried to tackle low and grabbed the limb at the ankles but wound up with its belly up like a defeated dog submitting to his alpha counterpart...

then it rocketed to the ground -props down and started banging its head until submission... passed out...

that was the long version...

the short version only took about 3 seconds... heart in throat... a blade was chipped... I managed to assess and found no major damage that I can tell so far...

afterward, we worked as a team to get footage of our triumphant return from the wild...

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22 and TR Ganey
so I wanted to be clever and active track my walk from the parking area of the trailhead down to the lake... I had the AC maybe 8' to 10' off the deck. It did just fine as the trail was about 10' wide and there was plenty of room between the trees...

or so I thought - a small tree had some long skinny limbs which the blades barely snipped at.. I was able to lower the AC and it traveled on out... thought I had won...

then the next tree which I should have seen grabbed the AC and started punching it in the mouth. The M2Z tried to tackle low and grabbed the limb at the ankles but wound up with its belly up like a defeated dog submitting to his alpha counterpart...

then it rocketed to the ground -props down and started banging its head until submission... passed out...

that was the long version...

the short version only took about 3 seconds... heart in throat... a blade was chipped... I managed to assess and found no major damage that I can tell so far...

afterward, we worked as a team to get footage of our triumphant return from the wild...

I'll attempt to upload the documentary video for validation.

As I have written elsewhere a few times. I have managed to first prune some thin branches of my apple tree quickly followed by mowing the lawn after the drone inverted and hit the deck (lawn). They do seem to be the Timex of drones - take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
That is a nice, clear distinction. Is it recognized in the engineering world? Being a poet type, I always want to try to get respect from from the hard science fellows.

Yes - this distinction is the industry standard.

What are the stick combination to turn off propellers spinning? The manual mavic air does not say. Belly up manual says propellers dont spin.

Motors is the genus classification and includes internal combustion types as well as others, e.g., recall the twisted rubberband spinning propeller balsawood tissuepaper toy glider airplane, or that pumped water in toy pressurized plastic rocket.
Engine connotes intricate mechanicals and is also named for software too

Reactions: GMav380
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew