DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turn props off in mid-air for fast descent (and on again :-)

No need to do this, Do the software hack and use DJI assistant program via your PC and change the vertical
accent /deccent speed to 10m/s and Max speed value to 10.
Change Max tilt angle from 30 degrees to 50 degrees.
You'll then decend and accend at 10m/s and you top horizontal speed will also jump from 70km/hr to 82-85km/hr.

In my opinion it's a must, only being able to decend at 3m/s is frigging boardereing on dangerous because if you need to get down and fast to avoid a bird or something then you are a sitting duck, a bird will run circles around a Mavic 2 descending that slow.
Also falling at 10m/s is like woww..... Wait till u try it... You won't go back.

I only modified mine in sports mode, I left the normal mode as is as it's good for more docile flying and battery optimisation
i agree, i also did mine in sports mode,,,,,but be carfeulll,,,,,she will fall fast,,,,i suffered a water incident because i was not fully paying attention and was low to the water and pushed stick down a bit only to see my camera underwater,,,,,,haha, but yes this is the best way to fly,u can change decent assend to what u want.

Presumably you haven't actually read this thread - it includes flight records showing exactly this maneuver working just fine.
This might work provided drone haven't tilted. My mavic tilted 90 degrees won't start motors.

OK - apologies for my impatience there but the thread was getting cluttered with bad information. Personally I don't think I would try this with any of mine either. I'd be worried about the restart and would feel very foolish if I crashed trying. But - it's clear that it does work and that the motors are easily able to arrest the resulting descent.
Yes, I'm sorry I didn't take time to let it load at first read too.. My bad!!

It's very scarying to try this... I wonder how can we be sure of the drone altitude (and attitude) when it's dropping throttle off from the sky, to apply power again for a safe flight recover...
I saw some videos... Looks to work great for some fortunate people...

I see one and only one reason To try this: if an airplane or a rescue helicopter come over the place I fly, and no time to make the drone come home, I'll probably try this to not hit the plane, last trial...

But it's not the thread's matter...

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't take time to let it load at first read too.. My bad!!

It's very scarying to try this... I wonder how can we be sure of the drone altitude (and attitude) when it's dropping throttle off from the sky, to apply power again for a safe flight recover...
I saw some videos... Looks to work great for some fortunate people...

I see one and only one reason To try this: if an airplane or a rescue helicopter come over the place I fly, and no time to make the drone come home, I'll probably try this to not hit the plane, last trial...

But it's not the thread's matter...

I've not seen enough tests, especially with more recent aircraft and firmware, to know what the failure rate might be for this maneuver. The data above show that it needs at least 50 m to recover from the fall. The onscreen altitude display should still be working, as one method to determine when to restart. This is not something to be attempted from 120 m AGL though.

Reactions: jason38
There is a video from some guy named Chris ...... , sorry I can’t remember last name. He has a decent following on YouTube back when I saw this, around a year or so ago. I think the feature just came out and I believe he was flying a phantom. He was successful with killing motors, he restarting them and gained control all before crashing. I don’t follow the guy on YouTube but I’m sure there are plenty more “people” that have tried this and posted it. I do understand the question was for a Mavic, just trying to share.

No - you are looking at the wrong axis. The motor speed axis is on the right and the recorded motor speed goes to zero because the motors are off. The props are undoubtedly autorotating, but that's not recorded.

It clearly is stabilizing the drone to some extent - the aircraft is wobbling and spinning but not tumbling.

Yea, I made the same mistake.

So, we know it takes about 50m from the time the motors turn on til it stabilizes itself. My question is, how long do you have to wait between turning the motors off and turning them back on? Is there a buffer period for it to reset or can the actions be done back to back almost instantaneously? My worry is I would turn them off, then do the command to turn them back on, but input it too soon so it doesn't take, then precious seconds go by til I realize they're not on, then turn them on for real, and then the drone hits the ground because I input the command too late. I've got an old Phantom I don't fly anymore. Maybe??

Reactions: Smalls
It's been suggested in this thread, that this 'shut-down' manouvre could be used as a way to out-descend birds that are hassling your drone. I'm wondering if the drone comes down any faster, if you 'forward-stick' to get max speed, hold that speed, and then push down-stick along with left-rudder (or right) - so that you are in a powered spiral. It would be interesting to see if that gets any more negative metres/sec over just holding down-stick???

I trust my drone to recover, I don't trust myself.

Reactions: offtheback
This sounds like a fine experience to be enjoyed by all. Why doesn't DJI just add this maneuver in the app. Maybe call it the "drone gonee" It would then be far less stressful to the uninitiated as well.

Last edited:
Must be some tough birds where you guys fly. Around here it's mostly turkey buzzards and an occasional hawk and they are obviously fearful of drones.

Hello,
a rather theoretical question:
The Mavic 2 props can be turned off by pulling both sticks down/inside. With the same function they can be turned on again.
Can that be used in mid-air for a fast descent?

When flying up to 500m, the descent takes very long because the descent rate is rather slow (~2-3 m/s). So what would happen if I just turn off the props at 500m above ground, and turn them on ~200m above ground? Would the Mavic 2 stabilize again, or crash?
Anyoney ever tried?

best regards
mariachi76
It has been tried and the experiment is on YT, I will go see if I can find it.

I guess if one is really going to try this, they had better have tons of open space with no parked cars, property or people anywhere nearby since there seemed to be quite a bit of drift unless it was just the angle of the camera. Because if it really drifts that much and fails, the splat might not only be the drone.

SAR, the MPP would shut the motors off somewhere around 70° tilt. The early days of the M2 it would not. Do you know if that is still the way. I can try it Sunday when I get back, just curious.

I haven't tested that on any of the versions.

Reactions: Turn11
It's been suggested in this thread, that this 'shut-down' manouvre could be used as a way to out-descend birds that are hassling your drone. I'm wondering if the drone comes down any faster, if you 'forward-stick' to get max speed, hold that speed, and then push down-stick along with left-rudder (or right) - so that you are in a powered spiral. It would be interesting to see if that gets any more negative metres/sec over just holding down-stick???

The firmware limits the vertical speed independently of the horizontal speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121