DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turnigy LiHV Batteries

That's the way, thanks.

I realise what sub-forum I'm in and have no experience with the MP, but I take it this one doesn't have the smart battery interface of the newer equipment?

And if that's the case, assuming the MP has a 4S battery, the only concern is that the HV batteries are 0.15v higher at full charge, per cell, than regular LIPO batteries. Thus, for a 4s battery, your drone would be expecting 16.8v max while the HV will deliver 17.4v. Most electronic components have between 5% and 15% headroom for overvoltage, but not always. The esc and motors especially would probably be fine but the camera and flight controller may have at least hotter mosfets and at worst, something failing from heat.

Do you know if it's been done before? My money is on it probably working, but be aware you have a flying computer and camera rather than just a bunch of motors and ESCs, which can typically take the extra heat.... Typically!

That's the way, thanks.

I realise what sub-forum I'm in and have no experience with the MP, but I take it this one doesn't have the smart battery interface of the newer equipment?

And if that's the case, assuming the MP has a 4S battery, the only concern is that the HV batteries are 0.15v higher at full charge, per cell, than regular LIPO batteries. Thus, for a 4s battery, your drone would be expecting 16.8v max while the HV will deliver 17.4v. Most electronic components have between 5% and 15% headroom for overvoltage, but not always. The esc and motors especially would probably be fine but the camera and flight controller may have at least hotter mosfets and at worst, something failing from heat.

Do you know if it's been done before? My money is on it probably working, but be aware you have a flying computer and camera rather than just a bunch of motors and ESCs, which can typically take the extra heat.... Typically!

At least with the Mavic Pro those batteries are high voltage already

That's the way, thanks.

How do you intend to hook up the external battery? You don't usually see external batteries with mavic smart battery interfaces

I have used a lot of Turnigy batteries for my rc planes and heli’s. They come in different grades. There is the Turnigy, the Turnigy Nano-Tech and others. In my experience the simple Turnigys have not lasted as long as other batteries I’ve used. They are relatively cheap and you get what you pay for. The internal resistance of the individual cells can vary causing uneven charging and discharging among cells. The Nano-Techs are somewhat better and last longer but I have had a number of them puff up faster than other more expensive batteries. There are a number of really good batteries out there with more quality control than Turnigy. Reasonably priced ones that I have had good experiences with include Glacier, Venom and Pulse but you will pay more than for Turnigy. Thunderpower batteries have a lot of followers who will swear by them but they are very expensive. They do last but they are more than twice as much as a comparable Turnigy. So you could actually compare how long two Turnigy batteries last compared to one Thunderpower. The more expensive tend to have higher C ratings but few manufacturers labeled C ratings are accurate.

Reactions: sprtbkrydr
I have used a lot of Turnigy batteries for my rc planes and heli’s. They come in different grades. There is the Turnigy, the Turnigy Nano-Tech and others. In my experience the simple Turnigys have not lasted as long as other batteries I’ve used. They are relatively cheap and you get what you pay for. The internal resistance of the individual cells can vary causing uneven charging and discharging among cells. The Nano-Techs are somewhat better and last longer but I have had a number of them puff up faster than other more expensive batteries. There are a number of really good batteries out there with more quality control than Turnigy. Reasonably priced ones that I have had good experiences with include Glacier, Venom and Pulse but you will pay more than for Turnigy. Thunderpower batteries have a lot of followers who will swear by them but they are very expensive. They do last but they are more than twice as much as a comparable Turnigy. So you could actually compare how long two Turnigy batteries last compared to one Thunderpower. The more expensive tend to have higher C ratings but few manufacturers labeled C ratings are accurate.
Thank you for all the great info!

Reactions: Former Member
The more expensive tend to have higher C ratings but few manufacturers labeled C ratings are accurate.

Yep. And most people just buy it based on what the MFG says.

How did you like Venoms? I had a few for my RC cars and trucks, because I could buy them quickly at the Hobbytown if it was a race day and I needed an extra. Never liked them much, felt they were overpriced and underperformed, maybe due to Hobbytowns markup on them.

I have had some Thunderower, Maxamps and other top brands, and you really get what you pay for in quality and durability. In the stretched Mavic Im working on, it will prob use a Maxamps or TP external 3s.

I'll add on turnigy batteries that the Graphene units aren't all that great. I doubt graphene is even in them.

Until recently, nano-tech is the one I've always liked best. Recently, the turnigy heavy duty batteries have been really good. Again, I'm just one person here but I have over 50 currently in service ranging from 100mah 1s to 5A 8S.

Standard turnigy units are the two that were below expectations as noted earlier.

How do you plan to interface it with your Mavic? Does it take simple batteries that you can make an adapter for? I expected they'd use a smart battery like the newer ones but maybe this isn't the case...

Not an insurmountable obstacle, true, but it won't be just connecting + and - terminals.

How do you plan to interface it with your Mavic? Does it take simple batteries that you can make an adapter for? I expected they'd use a smart battery like the newer ones but maybe this isn't the case...

Not an insurmountable obstacle, true, but it won't be just connecting + and - terminals.
Well you can either go inside and hardwire a couple of pigtales or you can use the clip mod such as this one.
DJI Mavic 2 Battery Adapter (Pro / Zoom)

That's pretty cool! Thanks for the info.

(Though, looking at the photos, their little gizmo seems quite hand made - those battery slots aren't a uniform length for a start. There's $3 in parts in what they're asking $65 for, though granted it'd mostly be for the R&D and effort getting it out, but still... Ouch!)

Reactions: mnis and sprtbkrydr

(Though, looking at the photos, their little gizmo seems quite hand made - those battery slots aren't a uniform length for a start. There's $3 in parts in what they're asking $65 for, though granted it'd mostly be for the R&D and effort getting it out, but still... Ouch!)
Yeah I agree that it's a little pricey. They have them in stock here cheaper I think.
DJI Mavic 2 zoom mods Mavic Air battery mods and New spark battery mod adaptor PLUS MAIVC PRO REPAIR

I've used Turnigy high discharge batteries of various sizes at state and world level competition and seen them used widely. As far as quality goes, I've had maybe 1 in 25 be less than expected, while my expectations for performance have often been exceeded.

People have different experiences with hobbyKing and with various brands, but personally at least, as an experienced and heavy user of these brands, I'm very satisfied.

I haven't used a Mavic-specific Turnigy battery before, though. Having trouble finding it - got a link? Cheers
Where do you find the maxamp batteries, and also does batteries plus offer them?

If you build it, they will come. Build one for people and sell it for less.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast