DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turning off Auto reFocusing

ChopSticks

Reactions
Can't remember where I saw the video a couple days ago after the firmware update, but there is a setting that can turn off the auto-refocusing that occurs when the Mavic stops moving, any idea what's it call?

DJI-GO-Enabled-AFC-Mode.jpg

Ah okay I'm not going crazy, I don't have that setting! is it because I upgraded with the firmware released 02/14?
It sounds like you're running an old version of DJI GO 4.

Which version of DJI GO 4 are you using?

It depends, the periodic refocusing can sometimes happen at a bad moment.
But it's annoying if you forgot to do it manually or it drifted out after a while.
It might focus badly in low light though.
On balance I'd leave it off.

I don't understand why people are setting focus manually on infinity! Surely it would be better to use the hyperfocal distance of the Mavic's lens which would give the greatest depth of acceptable focus. Manually focussing on infinity means that people are missing detail in objects closer to the camera.

What is the difference between turning auto focus off and turning manual focus on?

Reactions: Porky and Norval
I don't understand why people are setting focus manually on infinity! Surely it would be better to use the hyperfocal distance of the Mavic's lens which would give the greatest depth of acceptable focus. Manually focussing on infinity means that people are missing detail in objects closer to the camera.

Can you elaborate on the manual focus on infinity? What's the problem with just flying up 10M then pressing the focus button on the RC?

Can you elaborate on the manual focus on infinity? What's the problem with just flying up 10M then pressing the focus button on the RC?
Nothing at all if you are focussing on the object you want in focus. Just focus on infinity and you are missing half of the area of acceptable sharpness that the lens is capable of.
Landscape photographers want to get as much in focus (acceptably sharp) as they can, from closeup to infinity. Hence the hyper focal distance, part way to infinity, gets you infinity in focus as well as things in the foreground.

Nothing at all if you are focussing on the object you want in focus. Just focus on infinity and you are missing half of the area of acceptable sharpness that the lens is capable of.
Landscape photographers want to get as much in focus (acceptably sharp) as they can, from closeup to infinity. Hence the hyper focal distance, part way to infinity, gets you infinity in focus as well as things in the foreground.

oh so you can't just focus to the horizon and call it a day? I'll be shooting a lot of random stuff next month on this motorbike tour and won't have much time to fiddle with settings and stuff, just want to know the best all around out of box that I can just fly and shoot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS