DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two Close Calls with my Mavic Mini while Flying over Sawluctus Island

PBDawg

Reactions
I was flying my drone to shoot video of Sawluctus Island in beautiful Saanich Inlet on southern Vancouver Island. The shoot was technically challenging due to a deep inlet, steep terrain and overhead power lines. See how I went about shooting the video and how I had a couple of close calls!

I have also posted the final video in this forum. Link: Sawluctus Island - A Tiny Island nestled in Saanich Inlet at Vancouver Island.

Well that was worth a watch. I think once you've given your conclusion at the end it's easy to say "oh but you assumed... " but that didn't occur to me until afterwards :)

Reactions: PBDawg
I was flying my drone to shoot video of Sawluctus Island in beautiful Saanich Inlet on southern Vancouver Island. The shoot was technically challenging due to a deep inlet, steep terrain and overhead power lines. See how I went about shooting the video and how I had a couple of close calls!

I have also posted the final video in this forum. Link: Sawluctus Island - A Tiny Island nestled in Saanich Inlet at Vancouver Island.
Wow, I had almost had to change my pants after that one! Great video.

• Haha
Reactions: Max67 and PBDawg

Nice recovery, kinda makes the heart quicken, eh!

Thanks RkyMtnHigh. Sorry I almost made you do some unnecessary laundry!
No worries. By the way, I love Victoria and BC in general. Beautiful part of the world!

Back in the early 1980's I was living in Seattle and would take the old ferry up to Victoria. I believe the name was the Princess Marguerite. I'm sure I have pictures of her around here somewhere. Beautiful ship and a great trip.

Reactions: Max67
Back in the early 1980's I was living in Seattle and would take the old ferry up to Victoria. I believe the name was the Princess Marguerite. I'm sure I have pictures of her around here somewhere. Beautiful ship and a great trip.
I remember being on one of the first trips on the Princess Marguerite after her complete refit, just before she started regular service between Seattle and Victoria.

Do you remember the jingle from the TV ads that they played in Washington State?

Take a princess to sea,
take a princess to sea,
have a crumpet and tea,
have a crumpet and tea,
she's fun aboard, all the way,
sail away for the day, hey, hey, hey,
let's go to Victoria, with Princess Marguerite!

Princess Marguerite.jpg

I remember being on one of the first trips on the Princess Marguerite after her complete refit, just before she started regular service between Seattle and Victoria.

Do you remember the jingle from the TV ads that they played in Washington State?

Take a princess to sea,
take a princess to sea,
have a crumpet and tea,
have a crumpet and tea,
she's fun aboard, all the way,
sail away for the day, hey, hey, hey,
let's go to Victoria, with Princess Marguerite!

View attachment 105842
I don't remember the jingle at all, but that's definitely her. It was a beautiful boat. I hate to admit but there were a couple of trips where I had, well, just one or two too many Irish Coffees on the trip but I always loved it. Beautiful ship and Victoria is one of my favorite Canadian cities.

Reactions: PBDawg
Personally I wouldn't suggest flying anywhere near power lines like that. I understand your reasons for choosing that launch location, but the absence of good alternatives doesn't really make it right. As a pilot, sometimes the best decision is choosing not to fly that day.

The other issue is that it seems like you were flying outside VLOS, which is also a problem. (especially when there are serious obstacles in the area)

The video was still useful as a lesson of what not to do, so I appreciate you sharing it.

Reactions: Lurch003

wow you scare there brother. Power lines and trees is our mortal enemy. ?⚽️? I learn a lot from your flight re:color of power lines

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka