DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two Discoveries Today

Guitarzan

Reactions
These are well known here, but I learned 1st hand today:

1. Motor ESC alert: I've had one of these alerts previously while doing hand recovery, but today got one when merely releasing the sticks in Position mode going from full up on left, and full forward on right. I can only assume that pitching up and stopping ascent was enough to trigger. Maybe the setpoint is just a wee bit too low. Inspected props and flew two more flights without issue, but eased off the control sticks while in "P" mode.

2. WiFi short range: Had three RTH initialisations today due to signal blockage by tall trees. Cancelled and recovered without issue. Standing in a fairway, while flying several fairways over, separated by tall trees. I would estimate range at 300+ yards. I've flown the mini much further away than that before, but terrain was much more open.

Modified Clint Eastwood quote: "A man has got to know his drone's limitations" Be safe! :)

These are well known here, but I learned 1st hand today:

1. Motor ESC alert: I've had one of these alerts previously while doing hand recovery, but today got one when merely releasing the sticks in Position mode going from full up on left, and full forward on right. I can only assume that pitching up and stopping ascent was enough to trigger. Maybe the setpoint is just a wee bit too low. Inspected props and flew two more flights without issue, but eased off the control sticks while in "P" mode.

2. WiFi short range: Had three RTH initialisations today due to signal blockage by tall trees. Cancelled and recovered without issue. Standing in a fairway, while flying several fairways over, separated by tall trees. I would estimate range at 300+ yards. I've flown the mini much further away than that before, but terrain was much more open.

Modified Clint Eastwood quote: "A man has got to know his drone's limitations" Be safe! :)
With the new spring foliage while looking pretty, I'm also getting more video signal breakup than with winter's bare branches and have to be more aware of the signal LOS. Might have to put on my parabolic reflectors and see if that helps.

its due to the sap rising in the trees to feed the leaf buds it absorbs and defuses more of the signal

Thank you all, never realized the sap and leaves could cause disruption but it makes perfect sense. I've been struggling to under why my flights near my home have shortened in distance. Have lots of trees (30+ in my yard alone).

Reactions: old man mavic
trees in leaf are the biggest drone killers ,and coming a very close second are pilots who fly them,

It is the water in the sap that is causing the problems. Water wherever you find it is like a short circuit for the control and video radio waves. They simply get sucked away into the ground if they come between the drone and transmitter. No technology - Occusync, boosters, etc can change this. They may give some improvement at the edges, but physics always wins in the end.

The frequencies used for the RC are in the microwave region of the spectrum and water is a pretty good absorber of microwaves. See what happens to a glass of water in a microwave oven that's switched on! Microwave ovens typically operate at about 2.4ghz, but 5.8ghz gets absorbed in much the same way.

It is most likely that if you fly your Mini under water you'll get very poor range. I've not tried this though.

Omm, It seems there's nothing you don't know about drones? Impressive!
actually theres a lot i dont know about drones,but i try to help others if i can, i learn something every day,

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying