DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two guys in the same area flying within 5 miles of airports

And he should be fined for not having a part 107 as well as other rules he's breaking. Since his main form of income are his videos, by rule, he needs to pass his Part 107 to be able to make money using his drone(s).

Do we know that he doesn't have his 107?

And he should be fined for not having a part 107 as well as other rules he's breaking. Since his main form of income are his videos, by rule, he needs to pass his Part 107 to be able to make money using his drone(s).
Anyone tried turning him in?

So is people like Casey Neistat and everyone else that flies in the city contacting all those little heli pads in B4UFLY or just saying screw it and flying anyway?

The problem with B4UFly app is that it really doesn't give you enough information to contact all those places, especially the helipads. I have several in my vicinity which simply say "private helipad" how is anyone supposed to figure out how to contact that? I really wish the app had a phone number for each one so you knew how to contact them. The FAA must keep a database of that info, correct?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Andrew F
The problem with B4UFly app is that it really doesn't give you enough information to contact all those places, especially the helipads. I have several in my vicinity which simply say "private helipad" how is anyone supposed to figure out how to contact that? I really wish the app had a phone number for each one so you knew how to contact them. The FAA must keep a database of that info, correct?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It is actually quite easy. You could use Skyvector or AOPA or FAA, and there's more.

Do we know that he doesn't have his 107?

I'm quite sure neither had Part 107 though they didn't say either way. Both struck me as newbies that had just picked up there first drone. Don't know that for sure, but if either had Part 107 I'm sure they'd have mentioned it.

Brian

Who? Raptorman?
yes Raptorman. I keep seeing people freak out about things others are posting. What if.... what if they have permission? What if, this isn't their first drone?
I am quite familiar with all these things, my father just got his 107. I won't be, but I am very familiar with it all.

Reactions: jasoraso and auen1
Agreed. People like him try to find the negative and look for faults in most things. I am a private pilot (and own two airplanes) as well as a part 107 holder and I still get people trying to tell me about airspace all the time.

Last edited:
The first video is mine (I took it down because of people like you).

I have spoken with the airport managers. I am flying legally. I have the B4UFLY app. Stop assuming every person is breaking the rules.

Here's the deal ... if they have Part 107 AND have properly contacted the three or four airports and helipads within there area then fine, they'd respond with that and all is good. If, on the other hand they do not have the permission and are flying within the confines of the airport boundary they need to be informed of it before they do something bad and both you and I have more restrictions put on us. So, on the one hand if they have permission then they say so and everyone moves on, but if they don't and are newbies as I surmised than it's imperative that someone tell them they should not be doing that!

So, I will do this again as I feel I'm doing them, us and the flying public a service. I should also add that both of these guys were flying within 45 miles of where I live so anything they do that's bad will have a regional consequence even if there's no national one.

Brian

Reactions: Cimriver and kmaluo
Here's the deal ... if they have Part 107 AND have properly contacted the three or four airports and helipads within there area then fine, they'd respond with that and all is good. If, on the other hand they do not have the permission and are flying within the confines of the airport boundary they need to be informed of it before they do something bad and both you and I have more restrictions put on us. So, on the one hand if they have permission then they say so and everyone moves on, but if they don't and are newbies as I surmised than it's imperative that someone tell them they should not be doing that!

So, I will do this again as I feel I'm doing them, us and the flying public a service. I should also add that both of these guys were flying within 45 miles of where I live so anything they do that's bad will have a regional consequence even if there's no national one.

Brian

Casey is hardly a newbie to drones. You aren't the FAA but we all appreciate that you are looking out for all drone operators and the industry as a whole but don't assume everyone is guilty and go on witch hunts. Enjoy flying and play by the rules.

I agree guys. We aren't the police! Simply inform them of what the rules are but I just hope we ask them what they know/did before we start pointing fingers. I just flew in a restricted area within 1.5 miles of an airport. I have a 107, got permission from FAA, ATC and airport ops come to find out the DJI Go app restricted me and I couldn't even take off!!! Had to contact DJI Hong Kong and give them a copy of my 107 license, drivers license and proof of authorization from Airport and then they sent me a code to unlock the restricted area. Wasn't that bad but, we don't know what we don't know but if we all pull together, we'll enjoy the hobby/industry for a long time to come.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm guessing Mr Raptor hasn't gotten his Mavic yet and has taken it upon himself to be the drone police.

No. do not have the Mavic yet, I do however have an Inspire 1 Pro -- does that count?

So, just to clarify, you claim the first video is your and you have taken it down, did you do so because someone pointed out improper behavior or did you do so because you didn't want to be caught doing something improper.

You were flying
The first video is mine (I took it down because of people like you).

I have spoken with the airport managers. I am flying legally. I have the B4UFLY app. Stop assuming every person is breaking the rules.

So you spoke to the airport managers and were in full compliance with the rules but you felt the need to take the video down -- OK, I'll buy that. :D

Brian

No. do not have the Mavic yet, I do however have an Inspire 1 Pro -- does that count?

So, just to clarify, you claim the first video is your and you have taken it down, did you do so because someone pointed out improper behavior or did you do so because you didn't want to be caught doing something improper.

You were flying

So you spoke to the airport managers and were in full compliance with the rules but you felt the need to take the video down -- OK, I'll buy that. :D

Brian

No, that doesn't count. He was referring to the Mavic. Check the forum you are in.

Yes, that was his video. He clearly stated that he took it down because of accusers like you.

Yes, and again, he clearly says he spoke with the airport manager(s) and was flying legally. Interesting how you seem to look for being accusatory of people and imply that you deserve to see proof. Strange behavior and very negative vibe. As the kids say, "you must be fun at parties".

Last edited:

How many 750g mavic's are scarier than one 3500g inspire?

Consumer drones are trending towards smaller, more autonomous, higher quality, cheaper. In 10 years time we'll see 50g fully autonomous 8K drones free with every phone. But only if we push innovation. It'll take a lot of dumb pilot crashes to get there, but someone has to do it.

No, that doesn't count. He was referring to the Mavic. Check the forum you are in.

Yes, that was his video. He clearly stated that he took it down because of accusers like you.

Yes, and again, he clearly says he spoke with the airport manager(s) and was flying legally. Interesting how you seem to look for being accusatory of people and imply that you deserve to see proof. Strange behavior and very negative vibe. As the kids say, "you must be fun at parties".

Please, he took it down because someone questioned the legality of it -- not buying that for a second.

But, I'd be more than interested to know why my comment was enough to have him pull the video.

Here's the deal ... there are a bunch of whiners flying drones that want to do as they please and don't much like being told they shouldn't. This is very similar to folks using firearms improperly and being bent out of shape when someone calls them on it. For many years the public could go to open land on the west side of Utah Lake to shoot there guns. On weekends there could be a hundred people there shooting targets or plinking. Then, a couple idiots decided to go there and shoot some incendiary rounds and wound up starting a wildfire. Guess what, immediately after that it became illegal to go there to shoot so folks like me that went there once or twice a year are no longer allowed to do so.

If you want to continue doing something it's up to you to make sure that those around you follow the rules or we risk losing the right. In the case of the two videos that started this thread the second guy very quickly corrected his behavior and as a consequence he's less likely to do something that could get our right to fly banned. If the first guy, Parker, had replied on his video that he HAD gotten the OK to fly that would have been the end of it but instead he deletes the video and that makes me wonder just how honest he's been when saying he did get the OK.

You want to continue to be permitted to fly drones you need to make sure that you and others around you don't F it up for the rest of us. That should not be hard to understand but apparently we have children here that would rather stomp there feet and pout there lips...

Brian

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada