DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two questions regarding Mavic protection and landing pad

I got the Adorama package a few months ago. It included the Flymore, a Lowe backpack, landpad, sd card and maybe some other things. I THOUGHT that they did offer the Care Refresh insurance as an add-on cost. But I believe you can purchase it from DJI with like 48 hours (check that) of purchase?????
They do, and I got it. Did you find the package a good value? I have Shoprunner, so that gave me free 2-day shipping (should be here Wednesday) and free return shipping if needed. That kind of sealed the deal for me. I had a 5% coupon code for DJI, but I never could get it to work right on my iPad, so I said screw it.

Reactions: ff22
I am looking at a Mavic Mini Fly More combo from Adorama that also includes a landing pad. If I don’t buy from Mavic directly, can I still purchase their protection plan? Also, is a landing pad helpful? Does the drone remember the pad itself or only the location from which it took off?
bought a mavic mini from walmart then got my dji care refresh from dji website. Enjoy flying and keep safe

Reactions: Kyle76
I bought my Mini from Amazon. The first time I started the DJI Fly app and connected to the drone it asked me if I wanted to purchase DJI Care which I did at that point.

Reactions: Kyle76
Yes u can get drone for anywhere n still get the dji care it’s on they’re app

I am looking at a Mavic Mini Fly More combo from Adorama that also includes a landing pad. If I don’t buy from Mavic directly, can I still purchase their protection plan? Also, is a landing pad helpful? Does the drone remember the pad itself or only the location from which it took off?

Yes you can, i purchased the Care Service a couple of weeks and few close shaves later. just go on their site and put in your drones serial number and they ask you to upload a video to qualify

There is the link for joining it after the initial 48 hours - DJI Care Refresh after 48 Hours

If you are flying from sandy areas, you might want to still research how to hand launch/land. Sand can still make its way into your drone even if you use a landing pad. Hand launching and landing the drone is a better way to protect it from those hazards.
Hmmm... no thanks -- I've gotten very averse to unnecessary risks in my old age, and I've even gotten old enough that I don't mind telling you that. I might do it if there was some compelling reason, but carrying a folding pad is too easy of an alternative.

Hmmm... no thanks -- I've gotten very averse to unnecessary risks in my old age, and I've even gotten old enough that I don't mind telling you that. I might do it if there was some compelling reason, but carrying a folding pad is too easy of an alternative.

In my experience, a folding pad doesn't really protect the drone from sand that is blowing around at ground level.

DJI refresh is well worth it. I have experience using it with my Mini. Service was timely, good status communication (online). Return was within 10 days of prepaid mailing, with a new (refurbished) Mini. On the question of a pad. I have a collapsible one and use it occasionally, when I am concerned about ground debris or tall grass. As stated, it also marks my field space, as occupied. Enjoy your safe flying.

A9CD934C-33DF-4DF9-B0FB-2447D5FC4813.jpeg

Bath mat, bin lid & Velcro. Produces excellent contrast and geometry on almost any surface which are the keys to DJI Precision Landing. Bullseye every time - even in low light.1595695838062.jpeg

Thanks, I wondered if it recorded a picture of the takeoff spot, but I guess not.
I think I read somewhere that it does take a picture along with GPS location so a bright high contrast could help but I have sometimes used a piece of duct tape (on a hard surface) and it worked fine. One thing is that if you go to a different location it's a good idea to re-calibrate the compass just to be safe. The good thing about the pads is they keep dirt out of the camera and drone during takeoff and landing. Also I recommend the Litchi App because you can program a mission (like in waypoints) without being connected to anything, a really nice feature. I use it almost exclusively now. They're tech support responds very fast as opposed to DJI's which is terribly slow

The drone will remember it's take off point but it may be a few feet out. If the terrain is rough then you need to be careful landing it automatically. IMO best take control about 6ft from the ground and manually put it down on your mat. If I'm on unsuitable ground for a take off or landing I've taught myself to fly and land from the palm of my hand. Always handy as a back up.

I always use my front door mat, it’s thick rubber prevents it from blowing away in the wind, and if I forget the doormat at home I use my car mat.

At 70 years old, I can understand your reasoning, but after some hand launches/recoveries after purchase, I considered "unnecessary risks" to be placing the MM on the ground. As a guitarist, even at my age, I try to look out for my hands and fingers, but I can also proudly proclaim that my MM has never been on the ground. YMMV. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser