DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS Traffic Management Pilot Program (UUP)

MotoSavy

Part 107 Remote Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
proviewdrones.com
A video six month old video put out by the FAA I guess trying to explain how Remote ID will be used. The video includes a playlist of nine other videos that came before this one. I ran across it on YouTube in some YouTuber's Channel.

So, what do you guys think about this video?

A video six month old video put out by the FAA I guess trying to explain how Remote ID will be used. The video includes a playlist of nine other videos that came before this one. I ran across it on YouTube in some YouTuber's Channel.

So, what do you guys think about this video?

Nice explanations of terms, but didn’t say anything about implementation.

About the only thing that surprised me and which I didn't know about, that with RemoteID the FAA plans to keep a database of all our flights. So, be sure to not break any regulations. If you bring up their attention, they can go back and pull all your flights to scrutinize them.

I guess they do it for all manned flight, so that will be the price we have to pay for flying drones.

Last edited:
About the only thing that surprised me and which I didn't know about, that with RemoteID the FAA plans to keep a database of all our flights. So, be sure to not break any regulations. If you bring up their attention, they can go back and pull all your flights to scrutinize them.

I guess they do it for all manned flight, so that will be the price we have to pay for flying drones.

If this actually comes to fruition, and that's a ginormous IF, it will be many years in the future. The technology as currently required can not support this, and the infrastructure build out necessary will take a lot of time, law and regulatory changes, and here's the biggie: Money.

The simple BT implementation currently required can't not realize this sort of tracking.

Last edited:

Before you get too concerned about the FAA having a database of all your flights bear in mind that the FAA has no infrastructure in place to gather all the RID signals in the first place. That would require WiFi receivers in a network more extensive than what our current cellular network providers have in place.

Reactions: Torque and MotoSavy
Before you get too concerned about the FAA having a database of all your flights bear in mind that the FAA has no infrastructure in place to gather all the RID signals in the first place. That would require WiFi receivers in a network more extensive than what our current cellular network providers have in place.

...and the wifi transmission mode really couldn't do it.

This would require switching to LTE, which is in the spec, but not required, and not implemented yet for RID. It's the only way to have the range and coverage.

And no RID compliant drones being sold now and into the forseeable future will then work with this new requirement.

It's something some apparatchiks in the FAA would like if they could have a pony for Christmas too, but the socioeconomic barriers will always be too high to implement it.

...and the wifi transmission mode really couldn't do it.

This would require switching to LTE, which is in the spec, but not required, and not implemented yet for RID. It's the only way to have the range and coverage.

And no RID compliant drones being sold now and into the forseeable future will then work with this new requirement.

It's something some apparatchiks in the FAA would like if they could have a pony for Christmas too, but the socioeconomic barriers will always be too high to implement it.
Lots of places I fly and shoot don't even have LTE coverage 😁

That type of airspace isn't something the FAA cares about in the first place. All of the examples in the FAA discussions to date are for populated areas where the types of flight conflicts like the scenarios in the videos above could take place.

I'm not worried, I just didn't know they planed to record all flights. I don't plan to break any regulation, so not worried if they ever put the infrastructure in place to do it.

If people learn about the scanner app and use it, that can be used to transmit some of the data to the FAA. But like I said, I am not worried about it.

Just something for pilots to remember, that someday all our flights may be recorded. I realized it's a big maybe and may be a long time before it happens, if it does.

Last edited:
Lots of places I fly and shoot don't even have LTE coverage 😁

That type of airspace isn't something the FAA cares about in the first place. All of the examples in the FAA discussions to date are for populated areas where the types of flight conflicts like the scenarios in the videos above could take place.

...and for that increasingly crowded airspace collision avoidance will be peer-to-peer using RID in a manner analogous to TCAS, not a centralized command/control system monitoring all traffic and directing flights.

There is so much incredibly overblown paranoia about RID being some way to watch everyone and bust every flight to 405' AGL, anything that looks like it might be BVLOS, flying in a prohibited park, etc.

Really, people, it's not that the FAA doesn't care about such things, but they've got much, much more important things to spend resources on.

You did not know about it because the FAA never mentioned it before. The FAA's future plans for network RID are documented in various places. The two together will allow governmental monitoring and recording of all flights in central database. Its an incremental process. Like boiling a frog. If done correctly you get Cuisses de grenouille.

1704146175190.png

Reactions: PhilJenkins

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne