DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV FORECAST "best threshold settings"?

mavic6611

Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm unfortunate enough to live in the wet windy miserable UK! I was wondering what you guys recommend having the threshold settings set to on UAV FORECAST? It seems every single day is "Not good to fly"!! But I'm suspicious thinking my settings are set too high or whatever.
I'm using a Mavic Pro.
I'm not too sure what's the best settings for wind, Kp, and SATS LOCKED.

Advice would be appreciated.

It really all depends on your comfort level.

Here's what I have set. Note that I am fairly conservative with my settings. And I am typically flying to get good pictures and video so I prefer clear skies. And also note that these are "your" thresholds. So even if it says "Not good to fly", you can still choose to fly.

Also, winter sucks. ;)

Max wind 20mph
Min temp 40 degrees F (I don't like the cold.)
Max temp 95 degrees F
Max precip prob 40%
Max sky cover 50%
Min visibility 3 miles
Max Kp 5

Reactions: mavic6611

Here's what I have set. Note that I am fairly conservative with my settings. And I am typically flying to get good pictures and video so I prefer clear skies. And also note that these are "your" thresholds. So even if it says "Not good to fly", you can still choose to fly.

Also, winter sucks. ;)

Max wind 20mph
Max temp 95 degrees F
Max precip prob 40%
Max sky cover 50%
Min visibility 3 miles
Max Kp 5
Thanks for the help.

40F is a summers day here [emoji23]

Also, winter sucks. ;)

Max wind 20mph
Max temp 95 degrees F
Max precip prob 40%
Max sky cover 50%
Min visibility 3 miles
Max Kp 5
Man I am in Arizona... I do get battery temp warnings but usually in the summer I will fly where the sun is blocked by a mountain side or before 10am so I have good light around 7am. I will usually leave the house way before sunrise to get to my location and get ready. We regularly have 110-115f days during july, August and September.

I find UAV very useful but I make the decision on whether it's "good to fly" based on the numbers. Recently discovered the 'Windy' app Great for animated wind direction on your map Call me chicken but after an early flyaway lucky escape, I always fly out into anything near 15mph.

Last edited:
Same here have had drone nearly a month and tomorrow is showing safe to fly for the first time[emoji16][emoji106]im in the wet south west,and have ignored it when wind hasnt been too high.ps saturday looks good here too.

Yep, like a few others I usually just focus on wind. If it’s anywhere near the top speed of the Mavic, especially gusts, it’s a no fly for me. I don’t need an app to tell me not to fly in the rain I fly for fun more than photography, so being cloudy or whatever doesn’t bother me either.

I use UAV also. The concern I have is around gusts. At ground level the wind maybe 15mph, but at 200', 300', or 400' the wind gusts can be 35mph, or more. While the MP speed in sport mode is 40 mph, there would be little forward progress against those higher gusts of wind.
The problem is that there is no way of determining the frequency of the gusts of wind, or whether or not the gusts are sustained.
In the end, I turn off/on the gust threshold setting, and look at the difference in wind speed at the various elevations. If with gust off, the wind speed is 20mph or less, I go for it hoping the gusts are not sustained, or frequent.
I certainly don't want to lose my MP, but if I let the gusts dictate flying time, I'll have few opportunities to fly
Thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569