DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV Forecast - "Satellites Locked"

Tshred57

Reactions
I use UAV Forecast to judge when it's good to fly. The app settings read if there are less than 12 satellites locked it's not good to fly.

Should u pay strict attention to this? If there are 11, could you have a flyaway?

Asking because kp Index is another thing the app keeps track of, and I've read you don't really need to pay attention to that reading unless you're somewhere in the far north (Aurora territory).

Any experience?

Thx,
~TC

The app settings read if there are less than 12 satellites locked it's not good to fly.
The satellite count is not important. Make sure the GPS health is at least at 4. That means 4 of the GPS bars will be white here at the top of DJI GO:

Sat.png

Asking because kp Index is another thing the app keeps track of, and I've read you don't really need to pay attention to that
You got it. I've never seen a flyaway caused by a geomagnetic storm.

Lots of apps like to warn people about the Kp-index. I guess they need some kind of features to promote in order to sell their software...

I use UAV Forecast to judge when it's good to fly. The app settings read if there are less than 12 satellites locked it's not good to fly.
Should u pay strict attention to this? If there are 11, could you have a flyaway?
You really shouldn't have any worries about the number of GPS sats if you are flying in the open and your drone has a good skyview.
There are enough sats in orbit to provide a good coverage anywhere in the world at any time.

The number of satellites you need is more complicated than a single number.
With earlier drones that just used US GPS satellites, DJI required 6 sats to use P-GPS mode.
But all current models now use US GPS sats + Russian Glonass sats.
For P-GPS mode, you need 6 of either sat type.
UAV Forecast has several arbitrary or even useless things in their default settings (cloud cover or KP index).
Their decision to set 12 sats probably falls into that category.

If the number of sats your drone is receiving drops to <6 GPS and <6 Glonass, your Mavic won't fly away.
It just won't have horizontal position holding ability because it will be in atti mode.
But as mentioned at the start of this post, the only way you are going to have such a low number of sats is if your drone's skyview is blocked by obstacles.

Reactions: LaaLaa
The satellite count is not important. Make sure the GPS health is at least at 4. That means 4 of the GPS bars will be white here at the top of DJI GO:

View attachment 50442

You got it. I've never seen a flyaway caused by a geomagnetic storm.

Lots of apps like to warn people about the Kp-index. I guess they need some kind of features to promote in order to sell their software...

I like your answer and it makes sense. I was hoping there was a way to check, before I travel 30 minutes, if it's going to be okay to fly. It appears the answer from Meta4 might cover it? You folks know way more than I do. I just want to take photos. :)

Reactions: Orpcivamtnanmer
I like your answer and it makes sense. I was hoping there was a way to check, before I travel 30 minutes, if it's going to be okay to fly. It appears the answer from Meta4 might cover it? You folks know way more than I do. I just want to take photos. :)
The number of sats in the sky is never a problem.
There's no need to check that in advance.

You really shouldn't have any worries about the number of GPS sats if you are flying in the open and your drone has a good skyview.
There are enough sats in orbit to provide a good coverage anywhere in the world at any time.

The number of satellites you need is more complicated than a single number.
With earlier drones that just used US GPS satellites, DJI required 6 sats to use P-GPS mode.
But all current models now use US GPS sats + Russian Glonass sats.
For P-GPS mode, you need 6 of either sat type.
UAV Forecast has several arbitrary or even useless things in their default settings (cloud cover or KP index).
Their decision to set 12 sats probably falls into that category.

If the number of sats your drone is receiving drops to It just won't have horizontal position holding ability because it will be in atti mode.
But as mentioned at the start of this post, the only way you are going to have such a low number of sats is if your drone's skyview is blocked by obstacles.

I understand location of the satellites matters as well (at least when flying between buildings, say), but it's really that easy? As in don't worry about it, pretty much. If that's the case, I've been missing some good flying time lately!

I understand location of the satellites matters as well (at least when flying between buildings, say), but it's really that easy? As in don't worry about it, pretty much. If that's the case, I've been missing some good flying time lately!
If you fly in canyons between buildings or other situations where terrain or obstacles block the drone's abiilty to receive satellite signals, that's always going to cause issues.
If you are flying in the open where your drone's GPS antenna has an unobstructed sky view, you will always have more satellites than you need.

I have been flying for years with drones that did not have the GPS strength of the Mavic 2. I would often get off the ground with 6 and hope to pick up 7 or 8 once up a ways. Once I was able to upgrade to better GPS units and get the count from 10 into the teens I never worried about it.

Even with the Mavic 2 I notice that in some spot I launch from the count goes up once airborne.

I haven't been in a canyon (man made or natural) yet but I think I would give it a try with 8.

I flew in a canyon in Utah last summer and had no issues at all. I used the Titan Switch but didn't really think about drone to GPS connection. I guess ignorance is bliss. :/ I'll pay more attention to those GPS bars from now on, for sure.

I think I've read about ADS-B in regards to FlightAware. I'll just keep fingers crossed that a question about that won't be on the new FAA test for recreational pilots (if there is such a thing as a recreational pilot with the new US laws). Neat info.

hi,
Any reason no one has addressed the Kp part of this question?
As stated I call BS on what " he has read"
Kp index refers to solar flares/storms which do interfere with both satellites AND radio waves.
Need I say more?

I think the part about what you have read is along the lines of ,.. the aurora is the obvious reaction (you can SEE it) caused/created by the flares/storms passing thru the earths atmosphere so *IF* you are seeing it then you don't really need an app to help you with it.
Low index is a good fly day. If I recall somewhere around a 6 or higher (as I was learning but since revised to 7) you should become very aware of possible issues- YMMV.

If with the better higher quality of technology things have changed then please I'm open to facts. But, this is the way I've learned over the past few years I've been doing this. Others go with just clear skies, no rain or bugs.

Here's a Rabbit hole for those interested especially if you follow some of the links offered, very informative ;)
Kp-index - important or myth?
ALL the best

Well, this is "he," and there was a long thread about it. I'm sure you can do a search. Since I went through it, I've not paid attention to kp index, and beside being attacked by a raptor, I've never had an incident. Certainly the experts will have opinions. You're an expert, I assume?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga