DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV part 107 vs part 336 question

kbeeg

Reactions
Newbie here.

I just purchased a Mavic Air and have not yet registered it with the FAA and I won’t fly until I do.

At first, I plan to only fly for hobby and recreational use, but I am not a part of any flying club. I may at some point decide to get my 107 certification so I could potentially make money doing photo or video work, but even then it would only be occasional.

My question is how do I register my Air? Do I register it under 336, then can I change to 107 later? I am sure if I was really serious about the commercial end of it I would upgrade to a Mavic 2 Pro or whatever is out then, but could potentially start trying to make small money with my Air.

Does the 107 craft registration directly correlate to the pilot being 107 licensed or not?

For now and the foreseeable future I only plan on recreational use, but don’t want to cut myself off for future possibilities.

With that long explanation, how do I register this thing properly?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots, and Happy Thanksgiving!

My question is how do I register my Air? You start at FAADroneZone.

Do I register it under 336, then can I change to 107 later? [Edited] See below post from @sar104. Section 336 registration is per person, whereas Part 107 registration is per drone (i.e. if you have two drones in your fleet, you have to pay ten bucks).

Does the 107 craft registration directly correlate to the pilot being 107 licensed or not? I believe it does. I did not try to make a Part 107 dashboard until my name was in the airmen registry.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots, and Happy Thanksgiving!

My question is how do I register my Air? You start at FAADroneZone.

Do I register it under 336, then can I change to 107 later? Yes, you register under Section 336. When I got Part 107-certificated, I re-registered my drone (and paid another five bucks) to register it under Part 107.

Does the 107 craft registration directly correlate to the pilot being 107 licensed or not? I believe it does. I did not try to make a Part 107 dashboard until my name was in the airmen registry.

Good luck!

You don't have to be Part 107 certified to register aircraft under the Part 107 dashboard.

You don't have to be Part 107 certified to register aircraft under the Part 107 dashboard.
Darn ... Oh, well ... At least it's only five bucks.

Darn ... Oh, well ... At least it's only five bucks.

Yes - it's not a big deal if you do the 336 first. I did that originally before even thinking about getting Part 107. There is also the possible advantage that the 336 registration applies to all your aircraft whereas the 107 has to be done individually, so you can fly anything recreationally.

If you register under 336 and then want to fly under 107, you will have to re-register. Ask me how I know!!!!

if you registered 107, and don't plan to get a pilot license or sell your footage, can you still fly during night time?

I should've registered under 336.

if you registered 107, and don't plan to get a pilot license or sell your footage, can you still fly during night time?

I should've registered under 336.
If you're not yet flying commercially and/or are not Part 107 certified then you shouldn't be registering Part 107. Regardless of how you register the rules remain the same for hobby flight or commercial flight.

I registered 107 like a lot of people did thinkng it’s separate from being commercially certified and just to get a # for the uav as required. I guess I have to cancel and switch to 336 so I can fly at night.

I registered 107 like a lot of people did thinkng it’s separate from being commercially certified and just to get a # for the uav as required. I guess I have to cancel and switch to 336 so I can fly at night.

It is separate and no - you don't have to do that. Whether the registration number on the aircraft is your 336 number or the aircraft's 107 number makes no difference to your ability to fly under 336 rules. In fact without being Part 107 certified yourself that's all you can fly under.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925