DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK 50m rule relating to persons and property.

Pedro

Reactions
We have a new residential development literally next to the beach on the South coast. With previous similar developments I've taken monthly progress videos and photos to help promote the projects and as a record for ourselves.

I wrote to the CAA several weeks ago with specifics about the site, what I wanted to do and showed them a plan of the site. I did receive a response from them but with no specific answers about the site instead referring me to the regulations for me to make my own mind up whether my proposals complied with or contravened their regulations.

They did confirm that this will not be classed as a commercial operation as "generation of self-marketing material to display an object, event or other activities through the application of Drone is not considered by the CAA to be Commercial operations (i.e. a charity, educational establishment, local authority or business). In such instances, you do not require a permission from the CAA."

My question here is, and this sounds naive, does the 50m rule apply vertically and horizontally? In other words, if I take off 30m away from people and property not under my control, fly up to say 100m, am I allowed to fly over other people's property and people not under my control or are all areas of towns regarded as 'congested areas'?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a cartoon on their wesbite which showed a drone flying over someones house with the 50M distance indicated and a big green tick indicated that it was ok. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me

Thanks Darren. So basically in a town you can't overfly buildings not under your control or get within 150m of them..

Thanks Darren. So basically in a town you can't overfly buildings not under your control or get within 150m of them..
There appears to be no hard and fast rules. They say "built up areas" or crowds, if you are on the outskirts of town in a park flying 50m over a couple of houses you will be ok in the eyes of the code, but there is no way to quantify built up, is that 5 houses, 20 people ? it's a bit of a judgement call.

I think it all depends on your definition of built up. Looks like some of the flight would be breaking the "code" but again no real hard and fast rules, just guidelines.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The CAA rules on their own site and DroneSafe.co.uk are disgracefully ambiguous.

They use words like "congested" to add drama that need not be made. But, I understand they want to protect those below the drone - but flipping the coin, there's nothing stopping an aircraft flying over towns and cities too.

When you look DEEP into it, Mavic Air and Pro in FPV action (+ a visual spotter) is allowed to 1000ft legally lmao

It's so so murky out there.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
The regulations are largely designed to try and make things as safe as possible - now the rule is 50 metres from property, but it also states not over property - property means buildings, because all land is ultimately property, though over will mean without consent of the owner. I myself don't consider this sufficient so if I'm in a location likely to get busy, a castle or ruin for example, then I go long before opening hours, often at and for shortly after sunrise when few are around. The danger of course, is largely a bird strike so you have to take this into account and for that I have appropriate insurance with photoguard covering damages up to a million.

Regards filming, be advised you can be done for filming gardens and people in their gardens if you upload such footage to YT or whatever - not so, if they're out in public.

Reactions: GiT Airways
Eddie.jpg

Insurance I think too is a must, but it needs to be more proportional. £240 a year for £5m PLI is just madness.

But look at the image above. Pure, ill-written, ambiguous guidelines. That image says to anyone you CAN fly over a house, just stay 50m+ away but don't fly within150m or over crowds and built up areas (with no definition of built up areas).

CAA and the Government have a lot of work to do.

View attachment 38081

Insurance I think too is a must, but it needs to be more proportional. £240 a year for £5m PLI is just madness.

But look at the image above. Pure, ill-written, ambiguous guidelines. That image says to anyone you CAN fly over a house, just stay 50m+ away but don't fly within150m or over crowds and built up areas (with no definition of built up areas).

CAA and the Government have a lot of work to do.

Do you really need it for £5 million? I got a million, equipment up to £4,000 for about £75 a year from photoguard

New The CAA rules on their own site and DroneSafe.co.uk are disgracefully ambiguous

Amen to that my brother!

Not sure where you got that quote from mate, but check out FPVUK as they're only £20 for £5m.

Or BMFA is about £34 for £25m.

Just depends how much damage you're expecting to cause I guess :D

Reactions: FL1H1
Amen to that my brother!

Not sure where you got that quote from mate, but check out FPVUK as they're only £20 for £5m.

Or BMFA is about £34 for £25m.

Just depends how much damage you're expecting to cause I guess :D

£20 a month ain't it for £5m? £240 a year...?

I was reading it wrong lmao - it's £20 a year! OOOOOSH!

Reactions: Ping^Spike
That's you sorted then Paulie Gualtieri :D

So what are we gonna do about our poxy CAA vagueness mate?

I reckon we just get Furio to handle it Thumbswayup

Heh, if that isn't just about the best TV show I've ever seen in my life (seven times now)... even got it on bluray :rolleyes:

Still gutted about Adrianna though :oops:

All of the limits re 7KG too... does my tree in, don't they know 99% of recreational drones in the UK weigh about a kilo?! :mad:

I'm well into double figures with it fella. Greatest show ever, hands down.

All the others... Whatchagonnado?

I'm sure very soon the wonderful Government will come up with some fact rules that allow the CAA to go even further.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe