DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK CAA Cap 1789. New Eu Regulations up to 2022

theairbase

Reactions
Spent sometime reading this new legislation. What a load of . ........ anyway the drone industry will be taking a knock from the UK financially. I know it it needed against the flying idiots of every country but the UK has more than it’s share of jobsworths and money making exercises sanctioned by MPs if anyone stays awake whilst reading this new legislation you will be depressed when you have finished reading it. Bottom line it is going to cost more to fly your drone. Even the old boys flying model aircraft for the last 50 years have to pay a fee.

Jobsworths, yes, but the counterpoint is in the Science and Technology Committee (Commons) hearing (340kb PDF) on drones held a few weeks ago. Besides all the registration stuff (which there was some scepticism about, btw, including that the cost was too high) and the risks of Chinese manufactured drones (sigh!), there's some quite interesting forward-looking stuff being considered, ultimately enabling integration with ATC and the removal of the current VLOS restrictions. Sure, a lot of that is driven by potential commercial drone operators like Amazon Prime Air, but, given the right licenses & registations, I see no reason why that might not enable more flexibility for regular pilots too.

FYI, the next SCT hearing on drones in the UK will be held this Wednesday (26th June) at 09:30 and includes representatives from BALPA, NATS, a drone pilot from Lincolnshire Police, and Amazon Prime Air. Should be interesting...

Newspaper here in Austria wrote, that the risk-based approach of Austria went deeply into this new regulation.
Thus said and already having these strict view here, I wonder why they even lower height to 120 m AGL, where we nowadays have 150 m AGL.

The fee, which will certainly come for registration and approval, might be quite lower than now, where Austrians need to pay ~ 330 EUR annually to the national air service provider (with the strange justification that photos and videos apply for these charges made with a drone).

I do wonder with BREXIT if UK really incorporates this law ...

Jobsworths, yes, but the counterpoint is in the Science and Technology Committee (Commons) hearing (340kb PDF) on drones held a few weeks ago. Besides all the registration stuff (which there was some scepticism about, btw, including that the cost was too high) and the risks of Chinese manufactured drones (sigh!), there's some quite interesting forward-looking stuff being considered, ultimately enabling integration with ATC and the removal of the current VLOS restrictions. Sure, a lot of that is driven by potential commercial drone operators like Amazon Prime Air, but, given the right licenses & registations, I see no reason why that might not enable more flexibility for regular pilots too.

FYI, the next SCT hearing on drones in the UK will be held this Wednesday (26th June) at 09:30 and includes representatives from BALPA, NATS, a drone pilot from Lincolnshire Police, and Amazon Prime Air. Should be interesting...

Thanks for your constructive comments. We will have to wait and see what the future holds. However I have a sneaking feeling that airspace from the ground up to 400 ft will have new classification in the future so that all drones can be located and I assume have to pay for the privilege of taking off and using your drone. All science fiction stuff 10 years ago.

Thanks for your constructive comments. We will have to wait and see what the future holds. However I have a sneaking feeling that airspace from the ground up to 400 ft will have new classification in the future so that all drones can be located and I assume have to pay for the privilege of taking off and using your drone. All science fiction stuff 10 years ago.

Yes, it's definitely "wait and see". Some of what is being discussed clearly requires technology that isn't in place yet so the timescales are not likely to be quick, but it does seem like there's a roadmap of sorts there. I'd guess things might start moving a bit more quickly if the likes of Amazon Prime Air need things in place for their service rollouts though.

FWIW, I also think the total costs that resulted in the £16.50pa figure is ludicrously expensive for what is needed (the CAA apparently "outsourced" this to their parent body, the DfT, so why this isn't just hosted alongside some other similar DfT DB using existing hardware/software is anyone's guess.) However, I don't think the eventual requirement for active transponders on UAVs and NATS/ATC integration is a bad thing, especially if it ultimately enables BVLOS flights, prevents accidents, and at least partially deters Gatwick-style disruption.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth...

Spent sometime reading this new legislation. What a load of . ........ anyway the drone industry will be taking a knock from the UK financially. I know it it needed against the flying idiots of every country but the UK has more than it’s share of jobsworths and money making exercises sanctioned by MPs if anyone stays awake whilst reading this new legislation you will be depressed when you have finished reading it. Bottom line it is going to cost more to fly your drone. Even the old boys flying model aircraft for the last 50 years have to pay a fee.
My catchphrase - If it moves, TAX IT. If it doesn't move, TAX IT ANYWAY!

How is this General Mavic2 related? :rolleyes:

There is a separate section dedicated to Rules and regulations....