DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK CE to FCC working

For those having issues, I read something on another forum, can you guys try the same thing while keeping your phone in airplane mode? No mobile data, no Wi-Fi.

Reactions: gb160
I prepare FCC at home and go outside start drone and take off (without phone ) , connect phone and see for a moment FCC but it switches back to CEE in few secs
Nope, working perfectly for me here.
Hovered it for five minutes in my garden, landed, switched everything off, left it a few minutes and repeated the process and at no point did the dB change from 87.IMG_ED227309616D-1.jpeg

Seems to me the only people having problems are those using android.

I’m using Android and still with sticky FCC.
I too suspect some firmware or version issue here..
Aircraft FW 01.00.0130
RC FW 01.00.0108
Fly safe database 01.00.01.17
Fly safe database for apps 01.00.01.18
App version 1.1.0

Im on exactly the same versions as you are, and it's still working perfectly for me from what I can see.
Im only testing it on the table though, with the motors running.

Does it only switch to CE when you are actually flying, or does it switch with the drone on the ground with the motors running?

Both, makes no difference

Nope, working perfectly for me here.
Hovered it for five minutes in my garden, landed, switched everything off, left it a few minutes and repeated the process and at no point did the dB change from 87.View attachment 101621

Seems to me the only people having problems are those using android.

Could be a display error. As when you're in FCC mode, the Channel Mode offers the two options (even on iOS). Maybe this is just a bg in the iOS software display, as this is a hardware issue with the drone, and we all have same drone. iOS vs Android might display differently, but ultimately what is happening is the same for all of us

Not sure what you mean?

Either that we're all in FCC mode, despite the Android app (and to some extent, iOS app) suggesting we're not. Or (more likely in my opinion) none of us are in true FCC. Best way to prove one way or the other is to do a number of controlled flights to test: fly it in both CE and pseudo-FCC and see if range is any different. The app displays are quite inconsistent and unrealiable at this point.

The app displays are quite inconsistent and unrealiable at this point.
The iOS one isn't. The only thing that changes is the dB line which signals whether you're in FCC or CE mode...whats inconsistent or unreliable about that?

Either that we're all in FCC mode, despite the Android app (and to some extent, iOS app) suggesting we're not.
Where does the iOS app suggest its not in FCC mode? Its only android users that have no idea what mode they're in.

This hack has been tested and working on other drones in the past, signal strength measured etc.

Although it would be good to have a true signal measurement done, its the only way to have unarguable conclusive evidence...even range tests can be questionable as there are too many environmental variables in play.

Last edited:
The iOS one isn't. The only thing that changes is the dB line which signals whether you're in FCC or CE mode...whats inconsistent or unreliable about that?
Theres no reason to believe its not in FCC mode on iOS, its only android users that have no idea what mode they're in.

This hack has been tested and working on other drones in the past, signal strength measured etc.

Although it would be good to have a true signal measurement done, its the only way to have unarguable conclusive evidence...even range tests can be questionable as there are too many environmental variables in play.

I dont think it has anything to do with the phone app.

After another test I'm quite confident that this is the case. The drone will prompt a switch back to CE mode once it picks up satalites.

I just did the following test: phone in airplane mode and location spoofed. Put drone in FCC mode indoors. I put the drone on a plastic lid, so I could carry it outside once the engines were on. I turned on props and carried it outside, FCC appeared to be maintained. Then the exact split second the drone got enough satalites (you know, when the indicator turns from red to white, after it gets 10 or so satalites) the transmission switched back to CE. I repeated the test and managed to take off with the drone (2m high). Again, the instant it got satalite lock, it switched to CE (despite being in the air).

The key thing about this test is that it controls for influence of phone. I kept my phone in airplane mode and with gps spoofed, so nothing on the phone changed at all. I was on USA as far as phone is concerned. The only variable that was introduced was the drone moving from inside (no GPS) to outside (GPS in CE zone). The split second it found itself in CE, it switched the transmission. So it has nothing to do with what app you're on. The drone initiates this itself, and would presumbly do so without any phone plugged in.

iOS users can also try this. When you enable FCC indoors, you'll see the dB line shift to -87, and the Channel Mode will offer Auto and Manual (compare the two pictures in 1st post of this thread). Turn on props and then carry the drone outside (or fly it outside if you can). Keep an eye on your transmission page, as soon as the drone locks into the satalites, I bet you'll see the Channel Mode switch to auto only (like in your pic above). I am pretty confident this is the drone switching to CE mode. The fact that the dB line sticks on -87 is probably a display bug, in the same way the Android app shows 90 regardless of what mode you're in.

The hack may have worked on previous drones, but the difference seems to be that DJI have developed the MA2 such that it can switch between FCC and CE whilst in flight. They must have found a safe way to do this perhaps.

The only way to prove this would be to do some range tests in a reasonably controlled environment (flat ground, away from interference/variables). I would be interested if someone could go out and try this? There should be a sufficiently large difference between CE and FCC, that 2-3 tests should be enough to prove one way or the other beyond resonable doubt.

I dont think it has anything to do with the phone app.

After another test I'm quite confident that this is the case. The drone will prompt a switch back to CE mode once it picks up satalites.

I just did the following test: phone in airplane mode and location spoofed. Put drone in FCC mode indoors. I put the drone on a plastic lid, so I could carry it outside once the engines were on. I turned on props and carried it outside, FCC appeared to be maintained. Then the exact split second the drone got enough satalites (you know, when the indicator turns from red to white, after it gets 10 or so satalites) the transmission switched back to CE. I repeated the test and managed to take off with the drone (2m high). Again, the instant it got satalite lock, it switched to CE (despite being in the air).

The key thing about this test is that it controls for influence of phone. I kept my phone in airplane mode and with gps spoofed, so nothing on the phone changed at all. I was on USA as far as phone is concerned. The only variable that was introduced was the drone moving from inside (no GPS) to outside (GPS in CE zone). The split second it found itself in CE, it switched the transmission. So it has nothing to do with what app you're on. The drone initiates this itself, and would presumbly do so without any phone plugged in.

iOS users can also try this. When you enable FCC indoors, you'll see the dB line shift to -87, and the Channel Mode will offer Auto and Manual (compare the two pictures in 1st post of this thread). Turn on props and then carry the drone outside (or fly it outside if you can). Keep an eye on your transmission page, as soon as the drone locks into the satalites, I bet you'll see the Channel Mode switch to auto only (like in your pic above). I am pretty confident this is the drone switching to CE mode. The fact that the dB line sticks on -87 is probably a display bug, in the same way the Android app shows 90 regardless of what mode you're in.

The hack may have worked on previous drones, but the difference seems to be that DJI have developed the MA2 such that it can switch between FCC and CE whilst in flight. They must have found a safe way to do this perhaps.

The only way to prove this would be to do some range tests in a reasonably controlled environment (flat ground, away from interference/variables). I would be interested if someone could go out and try this? There should be a sufficiently large difference between CE and FCC, that 2-3 tests should be enough to prove one way or the other beyond resonable doubt.
I suppose without a proper test being performed it's all just guesswork mate.
I suppose if @Zombie Todd could try his range test in stock CE mode and see if he gets out as far without signal breakup would be a good indication.

I've had a quick look at signal meters, but the half decent ones are quite expensive.

Unfortunately I have the same feeling as @bennohimself

First day when I was able to maintain FCC during flight I have tried several flight at same route and altitude and cannot notice huge difference compared to CEE mode.
I saw some yt movies from chinese guy that uses "tweaked" DJI fly APP on IOS but not sure whether it works really.
For me the only one reliable test would be measuring signal using some profesional spectrum device

While I tend to believe something is not quite straight with the ce and fcc thing here is a picture of my fly app with GPS locked and phone not spoofed.
IMG-20200517-WA0031.jpg

In my case still selectable auto and manual.

Reactions: gb160
I can hereby confirm what @bennohimself and @danik102 says is correct.
I have a Samsung S7 galaxy edge (Android 8.0.0) , i live in Belgium (Europe)

DJI Fly app 1.1.0
test:
Wifi switched off on mobile (i was at home) "fake GPS" switched to America.
Turned the drone on in the garage where there is no GPS fix, (you can see this in the FLY app)
The Fly app tells me "channel mode: auto & manual" + the 1km marking is higher as -90dBm -> so FCC mode

I took off (hoovering inside the garage) and left it there for 5min.
After 5min he was still on FCC and found 0 satalites.
Flown out of the garage and waited outside for satalites, after about 30sec. I had +10 satellites.
After 2 minutes (give or take) it was NO longer in FCC mode, but Channel mode: Auto + the 1km mark was equal to -90dBm -> so it changed to CE mode during flight!
I was actually flying in the air all the time during this process.

At least that's what the app shows me.

I also have an iPad that I can fly with, but I don't know how to try that with the Ipad.
What exactly do I have to install on the Ipad? (It has no jailbreak)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciobi
I can hereby confirm what @bennohimself says is correct.

DJI Fly app 1.1.0
test:
Wifi switched off on mobile, "fake GPS" switched to America.
Turned the drone on in the garage where there is no GPS fix, (you can see this in the FLY app)
The Fly app tells me "channel mode: auto & manual" + the 1km marking is higher as -90dBm -> so FCC mode

Flown out of the garage and waited outside for satalites, after about 30sec. I had +10 satellites.
After 2 minutes (give or take) it was NO longer in FCC mode, but Channel mode: Auto + the 1km mark was equal to -90dBm -> so it changed to CE mode during flight!

I also have an iPad that I can fly with, but I don't know how to try that with the Ipad.

Can you try all that while in airplane mode? No mobile data, no WiFi

Can you try all that while in airplane mode? No mobile data, no WiFi
tried again but in airplane mode from the start (i had to put GPS on, for fake GPS app)
In the garage i see it's in FCC mode (with 0 satalites), hoover there for a few minutes.
I fly outside of the garage ... (i did not land her)
once outside she finds the satalites and adjusts the home point automatically.
from then on she jumps back to CE mode.

Last edited:
I can hereby confirm what @bennohimself and @danik102 says is correct.

DJI Fly app 1.1.0
test:
Wifi switched off on mobile (i was at home) "fake GPS" switched to America.

you can configure FCC using androig and then start drone and when it is in the air then connect Ipad ...in my case it will show FCC:) and does not change it during the flight.:)

Guys ,
today I made several tests with using Galaxy S9, Iphone 6 and Ipad air.

I have spoofed gps on S9 and Ipad so I can prepare FCC using them (iphone is without anyd modification)

So regardless S9 or IPAD preparing FCC goes very easy.When I go outside and use S9 (android) it goes to CE immediately. But when I connect any IOS it stays in "FCC". I use quotes as I am still not sure if FCC according to DJI FLY from IOS means stronger signal.

I made some range tests today for one place where there is a lot of buildings and my position is obscured by them .I achieved 650 metres on FCC and at least the same on CE;)

Maybe DJI have patched the hack, however forgot to patch it for ios? ?

And tbh, in china the android users greatly outnumber the IOS users!

I just got back from 3 flights.
at home with the android (indoor) i put it in FCC mode.
started the engines outside on location and then attached the IPAD (IOS) to her, it then remained in FCC mode and I could take off.
Of course forget that I had to close the app before landing, from the moment it landed it jumped to CE mode.
Returning her to FCC on location (outdoors) is very difficult, no effort has been made to get this done.
Next time I put it back on FCC when I get home (indoors) with the android smart phone.
I made 1 long distance flight of 4km (13.000ft) and 100m height (328ft) without any signal loss.
I can not confirm whether there is an effective difference between CE and FCC, but it should :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez