DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK COVID Tier 4 & Drone Flying: Allowed?

I’ve just looked up the course, it’s on offer at the moment for £99 until the end of the year. Think I might have a go at that.
Can I ask you about insurance as well? I’ve got the refresh but I’m more worried about the drone falling on someone’s property and causing damage. What insurance do you have?
Join FPV and you get automatic public liability insurance as long as you are flying within the rules

Initially for my Mavic Air 1 2 years ago I took took out “FPV UK“insurance which covers me for all my leisure flying, cheap and cheerful but more than adequate for 3rd party liability. At this point with my first drone I did not take out DJI care or any other drone replacement insurance particularly after reading tales of woe when drones had been lost over water and no replacement was provided. As I got my MA2 I looked into different options for drone replacement and settled on “Coverdrone” to insure with. I insured my MA2 combo kit which includes all ground equipment, even if stolen from my car for full replacement for £89 per annum, later I added my MA1 to the policy which took the annual total to £117 per annum and after Christmas I will add my dji mini 2 not the policy. There is an excess to pay for each claim but still I and many others think its worth while.
I completed the A2CofC qualification over a 3 week period with UAVHUB, once enrolled you are given access to online resources and follow a very structured course which covers flying, weather, the law, what you can and cant do, code of conduct, relevant safety instruction, up do date drone laws as we move into the new systems 2021, detailed information about exactly what is covered when in the open categor, in A1, A2 and A3. I am 75 years of age and like me if you have not studied for many years you can go at your own pace with access to go back over material. Their is an online classroom you attend until the virus allows us to return to normal when you may have to attend a single session. At the end of the course you sit an online exam of 40 questions which are all covered throughout the course.
Ther reason I took the course is after 1st January and when the first “Certified” drones appear between now and 2022 you will still follow safety rules but for example 30 mtrs not 50 mtrs from uninvolved people, in slow speed 5 mtrs, this is because the A2CoC shows a level of competency you have proved you have whereas those without will remain in the A3 category. Also following the rules applied to the A2CoC you can charge for any work you carry out with your drone as you no longer need the higher qualifications to do so. If you decide to carry out paid work there are still jobs where you will need permission from the CAA but in my case I already have jobs lined up firstly an estate agent wants me to film property on private land from 40 feet around 4 corners and secondly a large multiple factory owner want me to map out the windows and gutters on each building on a day when the factory is closed, its much cheaper than hiring scaffolding or cranes. Having the A2CoC makes me really confident to do this. I will be contacting Coverdrone to include limited commercial work on my policy.
Sorry its long winded but I hope this helps you decide, I am really glad I did it and I just have to live long enough to benefit from it...ha ha.
This is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time!

I am based in Tier 3 in the NW UK and want to go out more, I usually drive 10 minutes to an isolated reservoir where no one seems to go but unfortunately its just over the Lancashire Yorkshire border so its a no no.
I have a Mavic Air 1, a Mavic Air 2 and recently got a Mini 2 which was fortunate as its a great little drone where I can go fo walk, take off from my hand where walking and land on my hand when bringing it back...yes I know I am stretching it a bit but at least if pulled by the police I have a 50% better chance of justifying it.....ha ha
The good news is my mini 2 as I have taken the A2CofC course and from January 1st can legitimately fly from my back garden and at least fly around where I live as long as I do not fly directly over people and stay 150 feet or above that takes care of the privacy aspect as it has a camera....At least I can play out a bit....
I’m originally from Lancaster; the NW is a great part of the world for scenery and countryside

Reactions: Nearlypastit
Good morning all,

Here in sunny Hampshire UK, we will be in Tier 4 on Boxing Day.

Any thoughts on its impact on drone flying? My take is that it is OK as long as you don’t - of course - travel out of a Tier 4 area to fly.

The relevant advice would seem to be:

“Sports and physical activity​

Indoor gyms and sports facilities will close. Outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges, riding centres and playgrounds can remain open for individual exercise, and for people to use with others within your household, support bubble, or with one person from another household. Organised outdoor sport for under 18s and disabled people will be allowed”.​
Drone flying seems to me to come under the category of outdoor individual exercise.

Do you all agree? Or am I wrong (I often am!!)

CJG
Litchi Waypoint Missions are great fun if your drone is compatible, don't have to leave the house, fantastic fun planning the mission on your PC or Tablet, & if you only want to fly local VLOS ones even better.

I am based in Tier 3 in the NW UK and want to go out more, I usually drive 10 minutes to an isolated reservoir where no one seems to go but unfortunately its just over the Lancashire Yorkshire border so its a no no.
I have a Mavic Air 1, a Mavic Air 2 and recently got a Mini 2 which was fortunate as its a great little drone where I can go fo walk, take off from my hand where walking and land on my hand when bringing it back...yes I know I am stretching it a bit but at least if pulled by the police I have a 50% better chance of justifying it.....ha ha
The good news is my mini 2 as I have taken the A2CofC course and from January 1st can legitimately fly from my back garden and at least fly around where I live as long as I do not fly directly over people and stay 150 feet or above that takes care of the privacy aspect as it has a camera....At least I can play out a bit....
Hi Claretcass. Firstly, unlucky against Leeds yesterday but think you'll come good in the next couple of months :)

If you want to stay in Lancashire then head down to Whitworth way. There are a few excellent reservoirs and moorland views, particularly around the Brown Wardle area. Plus there are no police around here - the nearest station is in Burnley and they'll be too busy chasing you lot to bother about a little village 12 miles away.

Thank you as well for the A2CoC information - very helpful and I'll look into it.

Good morning all,

Here in sunny Hampshire UK, we will be in Tier 4 on Boxing Day.

Any thoughts on its impact on drone flying? My take is that it is OK as long as you don’t - of course - travel out of a Tier 4 area to fly.

The relevant advice would seem to be:

“Sports and physical activity​

Indoor gyms and sports facilities will close. Outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges, riding centres and playgrounds can remain open for individual exercise, and for people to use with others within your household, support bubble, or with one person from another household. Organised outdoor sport for under 18s and disabled people will be allowed”.​
Drone flying seems to me to come under the category of outdoor individual exercise.

Do you all agree? Or am I wrong (I often am!!)

CJG
Not often wrong but right again

Leisure time
You can exercise or visit a public outdoor place:
  • by yourself
  • with the people you live with,
  • with your support bubble,
  • or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household.
  • There is no limit on the time allowed for recreation or exercise outdoors.
For club fliyers
"instruction is that you must stay at home, apart from a limited number of exceptions. One of those exceptions is “to visit a public outdoor place for the purposes of open air recreation” and the definition of a public outdoor place includes “outdoor sportsgrounds or sports facilities” and therefore it is possible for model flying clubs to remain open and for model aircraft flying to take place within the regulations.
However, the regulations restrict an outdoor gathering at outdoor sportsgrounds or sports facilities to a maximum of two people in Tier 4 areas. Clubs should carefully consider what steps they need to take to ensure that no more then two people gather together, or whether it is advisable to have more than two people at the site at any one time."
chevron.svg

Remember those rules are different in Wales or Scotland (where you cant meet ANYONE for example in Wales) and those things are specifically banned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej