DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK COVID Tier 4 & Drone Flying: Allowed?

CJG

Reactions
Good morning all,

Here in sunny Hampshire UK, we will be in Tier 4 on Boxing Day.

Any thoughts on its impact on drone flying? My take is that it is OK as long as you don’t - of course - travel out of a Tier 4 area to fly.

The relevant advice would seem to be:

“Sports and physical activity​

Indoor gyms and sports facilities will close. Outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges, riding centres and playgrounds can remain open for individual exercise, and for people to use with others within your household, support bubble, or with one person from another household. Organised outdoor sport for under 18s and disabled people will be allowed”.​
Drone flying seems to me to come under the category of outdoor individual exercise.

Do you all agree? Or am I wrong (I often am!!)

CJG

It’s some of the best exercise that I get each week. Often it requires hiking to and from difficult to reach paces. I enjoy the physical requirements necessary to get to those locations.

Reactions: CJG and Mavikhan
It’s some of the best exercise that I get each week. Often it requires hiking to and from difficult to reach paces. I enjoy the physical requirements necessary to get to those locations.
That’s great thinking and a great approach Tony!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I think you’d have a job convincing anyone that standing still and flying a drone is exercise. But, walking to and from said point would count. Just make sure you’re out of anyone’s way.

apart from the Physical aspect .there is also the mental aspect as well ,and in my eyes old as they are ,then the pleasure i get from flying my drone ,is beneficial to me ,as long as you are sensible and fly in a quiet place, away from others ,then you are not putting yourself ,or others in danger of contracting the virus

Drone flying seems to me to come under the category of outdoor individual exercise.

Do you all agree? Or am I wrong (I often am!!)

CJG
Its not exercise at all. You cant argue "walking" as you can do that without stopping to fly a drone.

Some of it will be down to the local forces interpretation of the rules. Where i am in Wales in all the lockdowns so far (this is the 5th....) the police have been stopping people doing ANYTHING that wasnt outright exercise (even taking photos whilst taking a walk).

Their take is you need to be in your house for as much as possible and spend minimal time outside as practical.

And the Gestapo in charge have instructed police here from now on to do "enforcement first" as opposed to "Education first".

Certainly their argument used here is if you've stopped you're not exercising and the other activity can be done WITHOUT a drone.

Also don't under-estimate the number of curtain-twitchers around now who would see/hear it and cant wait to inform on you thinking theyre "saving the world".

You're not allowed "mental health" in the UK any more. Or in fact much physical health. All of that is banned. Only covid matters and only covid death matters, nothing and nobody else is important to the authorities.

You could potentially ask your local police force but i'm fairly sure what their answer would be.
Theres a huge amount of local variation depending on the chief constables policy to officers. Its a very weak excuse though. I'd struggle to class it as "exercise".

I think you’d have a job convincing anyone that standing still and flying a drone is exercise. But, walking to and from said point would count. Just make sure you’re out of anyone’s way.
Yes, I agree: all my drone flying will be early morning, out of anybodies way and as high as possible (up to the 400ft) mark to be as unobtrusive as possible. I came across this approach to low-key droning on this forum some time ago!

Reactions: Lastrexking
Its not exercise at all. You cant argue "walking" as you can do that without stopping to fly a drone.

Some of it will be down to the local forces interpretation of the rules. Where i am in Wales in all the lockdowns so far (this is the 5th....) the police have been stopping people doing ANYTHING that wasnt outright exercise (even taking photos whilst taking a walk).

Their take is you need to be in your house for as much as possible and spend minimal time outside as practical.

And the Gestapo in charge have instructed police here from now on to do "enforcement first" as opposed to "Education first".

Certainly their argument used here is if you've stopped you're not exercising and the other activity can be done WITHOUT a drone.

Also don't under-estimate the number of curtain-twitchers around now who would see/hear it and cant wait to inform on you thinking theyre "saving the world".

You're not allowed "mental health" in the UK any more. Or in fact much physical health. All of that is banned. Only covid matters and only covid death matters, nothing and nobody else is important to the authorities.

You could potentially ask your local police force but i'm fairly sure what their answer would be.
Theres a huge amount of local variation depending on the chief constables policy to officers. Its a very weak excuse though. I'd struggle to class it as "exercise".
A lot of food for thought there Cymru.....

apart from the Physical aspect .there is also the mental aspect as well ,and in my eyes old as they are ,then the pleasure i get from flying my drone ,is beneficial to me ,as long as you are sensible and fly in a quiet place, away from others ,then you are not putting yourself ,or others in danger of contracting the virus
Good advice!

We are in Tier 4 already (East Sussex) and I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m new to drones, about 3 weeks, and it’s frustrating not being able to get out and about. I drove to the beach, it’s only 5 minutes away and flew my drone for a while, I felt a bit nervous about it, feeling maybe I shouldn’t be there and will probably wait until the new year before doing that again. I will feel happier once I’ve had the vaccine. Because of my age I keep thinking that it should be any day now but no sign yet.

Reactions: CJG
We are in Tier 4 already (East Sussex) and I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m new to drones, about 3 weeks, and it’s frustrating not being able to get out and about. I drove to the beach, it’s only 5 minutes away and flew my drone for a while, I felt a bit nervous about it, feeling maybe I shouldn’t be there and will probably wait until the new year before doing that again. I will feel happier once I’ve had the vaccine. Because of my age I keep thinking that it should be any day now but no sign yet.
What model have you got? And a very merry Xmas to you! It is certainly a weird one this year......

Reactions: A.O.
What model have you got? And a very merry Xmas to you! It is certainly a weird one this year......
Mavic Air 2. I bought a Holy Stone HS720E but it kept dropping it’s connection, works on it’s own wi-fi and only had a range of about 400 yards. I bought it from Amazon so returned it for full refund, spent a lot more money and went for the Mavic, haven’t regretted it for one moment, it makes the Holy Stone seem like a little toy.

Reactions: A.O. and CJG
Mavic Air 2. I bought a Holy Stone HS720E but it kept dropping it’s connection, works on it’s own wi-fi and only had a range of about 400 yards. I bought it from Amazon so returned it for full refund, spent a lot more money and went for the Mavic, haven’t regretted it for one moment, it makes the Holy Stone seem like a little toy.
Yes, DJI stuff is pretty impressive. I had a Mavic Pro and then a M2P: the ability to hover in place and take great images remains truly outstanding

I am based in Tier 3 in the NW UK and want to go out more, I usually drive 10 minutes to an isolated reservoir where no one seems to go but unfortunately its just over the Lancashire Yorkshire border so its a no no.
I have a Mavic Air 1, a Mavic Air 2 and recently got a Mini 2 which was fortunate as its a great little drone where I can go fo walk, take off from my hand where walking and land on my hand when bringing it back...yes I know I am stretching it a bit but at least if pulled by the police I have a 50% better chance of justifying it.....ha ha
The good news is my mini 2 as I have taken the A2CofC course and from January 1st can legitimately fly from my back garden and at least fly around where I live as long as I do not fly directly over people and stay 150 feet or above that takes care of the privacy aspect as it has a camera....At least I can play out a bit....

Reactions: CJG
I am based in Tier 3 in the NW UK and want to go out more, I usually drive 10 minutes to an isolated reservoir where no one seems to go but unfortunately its just over the Lancashire Yorkshire border so its a no no.
I have a Mavic Air 1, a Mavic Air 2 and recently got a Mini 2 which was fortunate as its a great little drone where I can go fo walk, take off from my hand where walking and land on my hand when bringing it back...yes I know I am stretching it a bit but at least if pulled by the police I have a 50% better chance of justifying it.....ha ha
The good news is my mini 2 as I have taken the A2CofC course and from January 1st can legitimately fly from my back garden and at least fly around where I live as long as I do not fly directly over people and stay 150 feet or above that takes care of the privacy aspect as it has a camera....At least I can play out a bit....
That’s interesting, was the course very difficult?

I’ve just looked up the course, it’s on offer at the moment for £99 until the end of the year. Think I might have a go at that.
Can I ask you about insurance as well? I’ve got the refresh but I’m more worried about the drone falling on someone’s property and causing damage. What insurance do you have?

I’ve just looked up the course, it’s on offer at the moment for £99 until the end of the year. Think I might have a go at that.
Can I ask you about insurance as well? I’ve got the refresh but I’m more worried about the drone falling on someone’s property and causing damage. What insurance do you have?
Initially for my Mavic Air 1 2 years ago I took took out “FPV UK“insurance which covers me for all my leisure flying, cheap and cheerful but more than adequate for 3rd party liability. At this point with my first drone I did not take out DJI care or any other drone replacement insurance particularly after reading tales of woe when drones had been lost over water and no replacement was provided. As I got my MA2 I looked into different options for drone replacement and settled on “Coverdrone” to insure with. I insured my MA2 combo kit which includes all ground equipment, even if stolen from my car for full replacement for £89 per annum, later I added my MA1 to the policy which took the annual total to £117 per annum and after Christmas I will add my dji mini 2 not the policy. There is an excess to pay for each claim but still I and many others think its worth while.
I completed the A2CofC qualification over a 3 week period with UAVHUB, once enrolled you are given access to online resources and follow a very structured course which covers flying, weather, the law, what you can and cant do, code of conduct, relevant safety instruction, up do date drone laws as we move into the new systems 2021, detailed information about exactly what is covered when in the open categor, in A1, A2 and A3. I am 75 years of age and like me if you have not studied for many years you can go at your own pace with access to go back over material. Their is an online classroom you attend until the virus allows us to return to normal when you may have to attend a single session. At the end of the course you sit an online exam of 40 questions which are all covered throughout the course.
Ther reason I took the course is after 1st January and when the first “Certified” drones appear between now and 2022 you will still follow safety rules but for example 30 mtrs not 50 mtrs from uninvolved people, in slow speed 5 mtrs, this is because the A2CoC shows a level of competency you have proved you have whereas those without will remain in the A3 category. Also following the rules applied to the A2CoC you can charge for any work you carry out with your drone as you no longer need the higher qualifications to do so. If you decide to carry out paid work there are still jobs where you will need permission from the CAA but in my case I already have jobs lined up firstly an estate agent wants me to film property on private land from 40 feet around 4 corners and secondly a large multiple factory owner want me to map out the windows and gutters on each building on a day when the factory is closed, its much cheaper than hiring scaffolding or cranes. Having the A2CoC makes me really confident to do this. I will be contacting Coverdrone to include limited commercial work on my policy.
Sorry its long winded but I hope this helps you decide, I am really glad I did it and I just have to live long enough to benefit from it...ha ha.

Initially for my Mavic Air 1 2 years ago I took took out “FPV UK“insurance which covers me for all my leisure flying, cheap and cheerful but more than adequate for 3rd party liability. At this point with my first drone I did not take out DJI care or any other drone replacement insurance particularly after reading tales of woe when drones had been lost over water and no replacement was provided. As I got my MA2 I looked into different options for drone replacement and settled on “Coverdrone” to insure with. I insured my MA2 combo kit which includes all ground equipment, even if stolen from my car for full replacement for £89 per annum, later I added my MA1 to the policy which took the annual total to £117 per annum and after Christmas I will add my dji mini 2 not the policy. There is an excess to pay for each claim but still I and many others think its worth while.
I completed the A2CofC qualification over a 3 week period with UAVHUB, once enrolled you are given access to online resources and follow a very structured course which covers flying, weather, the law, what you can and cant do, code of conduct, relevant safety instruction, up do date drone laws as we move into the new systems 2021, detailed information about exactly what is covered when in the open categor, in A1, A2 and A3. I am 75 years of age and like me if you have not studied for many years you can go at your own pace with access to go back over material. Their is an online classroom you attend until the virus allows us to return to normal when you may have to attend a single session. At the end of the course you sit an online exam of 40 questions which are all covered throughout the course.
Ther reason I took the course is after 1st January and when the first “Certified” drones appear between now and 2022 you will still follow safety rules but for example 30 mtrs not 50 mtrs from uninvolved people, in slow speed 5 mtrs, this is because the A2CoC shows a level of competency you have proved you have whereas those without will remain in the A3 category. Also following the rules applied to the A2CoC you can charge for any work you carry out with your drone as you no longer need the higher qualifications to do so. If you decide to carry out paid work there are still jobs where you will need permission from the CAA but in my case I already have jobs lined up firstly an estate agent wants me to film property on private land from 40 feet around 4 corners and secondly a large multiple factory owner want me to map out the windows and gutters on each building on a day when the factory is closed, its much cheaper than hiring scaffolding or cranes. Having the A2CoC makes me really confident to do this. I will be contacting Coverdrone to include limited commercial work on my policy.
Sorry its long winded but I hope this helps you decide, I am really glad I did it and I just have to live long enough to benefit from it...ha ha.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply, particularly on Christmas Day.
I’ve had a quote from Coverdrone for £91 for my MA2 Combo. I’ll probably go ahead with it. I basically would like to be able to fly from my back garden, straight up for couple of hundred feet, so as not to annoy the neighbours, then over to the sea which is only 500 yards away in a straight line. My wife thinks I should take the course, thinks it will give me something to think about. I normally play bowls (indoors) about 2 or 3 times a week during normal times but I think it will be several months before we can even think about re-opening our club. We had about 800 members before the pandemic, I expect it will be quite a bit down on that due to age, illness etc. I know of at least 3 who have passed away (not due to the virus).
I’m 6 years older than you so I know what you mean when you say about living long enough to enjoy it.
Sorry, I’ve rather got off the subject. I’ve managed to visit 3 areas before we went into tier 4 and had a few successful flights although twice I had forgotten to press record, watching it on my phone and being impressed then landing and finding nothing recorded, so frustrating.
Anyway thanks for all the advice and a happy new year.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54