DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK dji drone insurance.

120m.........
Exactly... So as I said from the start.
If one flys beyond the limits and have a mishap one is NOT insured.

In gonna leave this convo now.
It's getting ridiculous.
All the best [emoji106]

What is proven here is the ignorance and lack of knowledge in flying a drone.

For the insurance company not in a position to give advice on the laws etc and to then state they need to look into a simple rule of sight,which IS 500m proves my point from the beginning of this post that your wasting your money AND thats why I cancelled and got a refund.

Or you must be a rep for the company to give it such a big up.?
no just an ordinary guy doing my thing you are entitled to your thoughts on the subject and i have no problem with that we all choose how we do things thats what makes the world go round

Reactions: FoxhallGH
What is proven here is the ignorance and lack of knowledge in flying a drone.

For the insurance company not in a position to give advice on the laws etc and to then state they need to look into a simple rule of sight,which IS 500m proves my point from the beginning of this post that your wasting your money AND thats why I cancelled and got a refund.

Or you must be a rep for the company to give it such a big up.?
No, i'm not a rep or anything else to do with them. I haven't even signed up to this policy. I was going to. That's why i'm interested in what you said and why i have been in touch with them. If that 500m distance is set in stone by them, i will not be signing up. Simple as that. I completely get where your coming from with this but want to hear it from the horses mouth!

• We can categorically confirm that nowhere in any of our Policy Documentation does it state that Swiss Re (our insurer) restricts flying your drone to less than 500m VLOS.

There is in our documentation the following: -

This is a screenshot from Section III (B) – The Conditions Precedent from our Hobbyist Policy Wording:

thumbnail

The below is a screenshot from our Sample Hobbyist Product Information Document (that can be found in the navigation bar under Insurance Documents). We would refer you to bullets 3 & 4.

thumbnail

Most hobby drone operators are aware that the UK CAA “Dronecode” is now the Law. That said, nowhere in the “Dronecode” does it state there is a 500m VLOS restriction, it just says the you must make sure your always operate your drone within VLOS and never above 120m (400ft).

Yes we do request Flight Data in the event of a claim and yes we do state that should the Flight Data provided evidence of a total disregard for the regulations when the incident arose, then your claim may/will be denied. Insurers are not able to pay claims whilst an operator is clearly breaking the Law.

Angus, really appreciate you calling us today – thank you very much indeed for highlighting this post on the Mavic Pilots Forum. As you can tell from the above information, there is NO 500m VLOS restriction in any of our Policy Documentation – just the above.

Do hope this clarifies the situation, but if you have a further question, please feel free to get back in touch.

Once again our thanks.

Kind regards

Noel
    Address.
    20 - 22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU
    Tel. +44(0) 203 790 7385
    Email. [email protected] Web. www.flyicarus.com

IMPORTANT: This email is sent on behalf of FlyIcarus Ltd and is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email you must: (i) not disclose, copy or distribute its contents to any other person nor use its contents in any way or you may be acting unlawfully; (ii) contact FlyIcarus Ltd immediately on +44 (0) 203 790 7385 quoting the name of the sender and the addressee then delete it from your system. FlyIcarus Ltd has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are contained in this email, but does not accept any responsibility once this email has been transmitted. You should scan attachments (if any) for viruses. FlyIcarus Ltd. Registered in England no. 9859062 – Registered Office(s): 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, England, N1 7GU.

• Reply all
  • or
  • Forward
Send

This is the reply from them. I hope that clears that up. I will be insuring my Mavic with them.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
  • Most hobby drone operators are aware that the UK CAA “Dronecode” is now the Law. That said, nowhere in the “Dronecode” does it state there is a 500m VLOS restriction, it just says the you must make sure your always operate your drone within VLOS and never above 120m (400ft).

While I am completely in agreement with them requiring drone operators to stay within the CAA guidelines, there are some incorrect things in this reply.

The Drone Code is not law. The only part of the drone code which is law is the 400ft height restriction.

The current Drone Code does not state the 500m, but previous editions have and future editions may also. The CAA do define VLOS as 500m in other documents. The other part of the law, 1Km from airports, is also not mentioned in the current drone code.

Their T&C for the insurance states that you must comply with all CAA regulations and air navigation orders, not the Drone Code specifically, so I think despite the above they could refuse a claim if you flew beyond 500m.

Reactions: Bala
I chuckle when I read the bit on the policy that says "Accidental damage to your drone whilst In-Flight only"
My dark-side hears a phone conversation that goes along the lines of ... "No sir - your drone wasn't damaged in flight. It was the sudden impact with the earth that caused the damage. Admittedly, it may have been a rubbish landing, but the damage was post-landing!" :p

Reactions: old man mavic
Reactions: old man mavic
As posted above, curiously the 1Km law is not mentioned in the drone code. It just says "stay well away from".
It is strange, because it's not on the website, but if you download the .pdf reference page from the website, the corresponding picture number 6 on that, says:
DC5&6.JPG

Ah. Foolishly assumed the pdf was the same as the online version.
Don't underestimate the CAA's ability to confuse the heck out of this simple set of instructions! o_O

• We can categorically confirm that nowhere in any of our Policy Documentation does it state that Swiss Re (our insurer) restricts flying your drone to less than 500m VLOS.

There is in our documentation the following: -

This is a screenshot from Section III (B) – The Conditions Precedent from our Hobbyist Policy Wording:

thumbnail

The below is a screenshot from our Sample Hobbyist Product Information Document (that can be found in the navigation bar under Insurance Documents). We would refer you to bullets 3 & 4.

thumbnail

Most hobby drone operators are aware that the UK CAA “Dronecode” is now the Law. That said, nowhere in the “Dronecode” does it state there is a 500m VLOS restriction, it just says the you must make sure your always operate your drone within VLOS and never above 120m (400ft).

Yes we do request Flight Data in the event of a claim and yes we do state that should the Flight Data provided evidence of a total disregard for the regulations when the incident arose, then your claim may/will be denied. Insurers are not able to pay claims whilst an operator is clearly breaking the Law.

Angus, really appreciate you calling us today – thank you very much indeed for highlighting this post on the Mavic Pilots Forum. As you can tell from the above information, there is NO 500m VLOS restriction in any of our Policy Documentation – just the above.

Do hope this clarifies the situation, but if you have a further question, please feel free to get back in touch.

Once again our thanks.

Kind regards

Noel
    Address.
    20 - 22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU
    Tel. +44(0) 203 790 7385
    Email. [email protected] Web. www.flyicarus.com

IMPORTANT: This email is sent on behalf of FlyIcarus Ltd and is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email you must: (i) not disclose, copy or distribute its contents to any other person nor use its contents in any way or you may be acting unlawfully; (ii) contact FlyIcarus Ltd immediately on +44 (0) 203 790 7385 quoting the name of the sender and the addressee then delete it from your system. FlyIcarus Ltd has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are contained in this email, but does not accept any responsibility once this email has been transmitted. You should scan attachments (if any) for viruses. FlyIcarus Ltd. Registered in England no. 9859062 – Registered Office(s): 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, England, N1 7GU.

• Reply all
  • or
  • Forward
Send

This is the reply from them. I hope that clears that up. I will be insuring my Mavic with them.
Are you signing up then dude [emoji11]

Are you signing up then dude [emoji11]
Still considering. Actually, when you consider all that's been said today, there is still a very niggling grey area!!!! No black and white! I made sure i saved/archived that e-mail from them. That might come in very handy............

Still considering. Actually, when you consider all that's been said today, there is still a very niggling grey area!!!! No black and white! I made sure i saved/archived that e-mail from them. That might come in very handy............
Good idea.

Reactions: Bala
I need to renew the PfCO but I'm not doing anything commercial just yet, and probably won't be doing much this year. Is the 'Flock Cover Note' the answer ?

I need to renew the PfCO but I'm not doing anything commercial just yet, and probably won't be doing much this year. Is the 'Flock Cover Note' the answer ?
Flock cover on a pay as you fly basis... I think for a few hrs of flying it cost's £5.
Also I'm sure they don't cover for water damage or loss in water,whereas FlyIcarus covers this particular.
If that helps

Reactions: smartdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead