UK dji drone insurance.

Bala

Reactions
British Model Flying Association
Sport & recreation
Send Message
British Model Flying AssociationLike Page
Yesterday at 18:22
The BMFA has today agreed to partner with FlyIcarus.com, a leading provider of both Commercial and Hobbyist drone insurance.
The BMFA have negotiated a 50% discount off FlyIcarus.com’s existing hobbyist accidental damage drone insurance cover, making it now the most affordable accidental damage insurance product available on the market.
FlyIcarus.com launched in August 2017 and have since then issued over 15,000 quotes to UK multi-rotor drone operators. Feedback from many of these operators came from BMFA members who were specifically after an accidental damage only policy.
Members of the BMFA already benefit from the Public Liability Insurance they automatically receive as a part of their membership. This new offering from FlyIcarus.com fills the ‘accidental damage’ gap that, up until now, has not been available to Hobbyist multi-rotor drone operators.
Initially, FlyIcarus.com will be focussing on Hobby drone insurance for DJI manufactured multi-rotor drones only. Further down the line this may be expanded to include other manufacturers.
David Phipps – Chief Executive of the BMFA commented: -
“The BMFA is pleased to announce this new partnership with FlyIcarus which provides a great optional benefit for those members operating DJI Drones”.
Chris Holloway – Managing Director of FlyIcarus.com commented: -
“We are very excited to announce this partnership with the BMFA. As the first company in the UK to offer accidental damage only cover to hobbyist multi-rotor drone operators, we believe this latest product offering is ground breaking, and something the multi-rotor drone hobbyist community have been crying out for, for quite some time”.
For further information about the accidental damage only policy visit - www.flyicarus.com

Thanks for the links, I have just purchased the insurance for my Mavic pro and joined the BMFA as well, got a total of 60% discount on my cover,well worth it, it has just cost me this amount to repair the drone after a crash,
so it seems I will be even if it happens again, touch wood it won't

Thanks for the links, I have just purchased the insurance for my Mavic pro and joined the BMFA as well, got a total of 60% discount on my cover,well worth it, it has just cost me this amount to repair the drone after a crash,
so it seems I will be even if it happens again, touch wood it won't
Excellent! Glad to be of help. It is an excellent deal. Such a better experience when you've got that peace of mind! Fly safe.

I cancelled my FlyIcarus insurance within the 14 day cooling off period and got a my money back.....Why?
If you flaunt the laws of flying your drone then you're not covered.
If you make a claim they'll want to see your flight record.

So if you fly 410 ft high ...drone drops out of sky...You're not covered because you're above the legal height of 400ft

If you lose your drone at a distance of 501meters... You're not covered because you've flown your drone beyond the law of 500meters.

It does have water damage cover which is rare for companies BUT as I say if you're breaking UK drone laws and you have a mishap of sorts then you're not covered.

It's all in the 27 page smallprint document they provide you with when you join.

easy reply, don't break the law then!. if you cannot fly your drone within the parameters of the law, well, you take the risk of having to replace iit on your own cost.

easy reply, don't break the law then!. if you cannot fly your drone within the parameters of the law, well, you take the risk of having to replace iit on your own cost.
Exactly lol that's why I cancelled.
Obviously if you stay within the law/guidelines then you'll be just fine.

It's no different from any other sort of insurance in that respect, if you were doing something you shouldn't most insurance would refuse to pay out. And as all flight details are logged you do not have any excuses.

I presume the restriction you are thinking of is "You shall comply with all air navigation and airworthiness orders rules regulations and other requirements issued by any competent authority
affecting the safe operation of the Drone"

Interestingly they don't cover night flying either which is perfectly legal.

it seems a bit ironic, we are all on here because we fly drones, and rightly so some get criticism for where they fly, but people will print that they will flout the law/rules of what we all allegedly
go by,just because an insurance will not pay out for there disregard of the rules.
eg 400ft Max and within sight,

Don't want to get into a teenage girl style of debate here with you dude.
I simply advised that you won't be covered if you flaunt the laws of flying as they'll ask for your flight record.

As we all know it's very tempting to go just that bit further or higher when we fly our drones.

But I don't do such a thing [emoji6]

Don't want to get into a teenage girl style of debate here with you dude.
I simply advised that you won't be covered if you flaunt the laws of flying as they'll ask for your flight record.

As we all know it's very tempting to go just that bit further or higher when we fly our drones.

But I don't do such a thing [emoji6]
Does it actually specify "500m" ?. Is it possible to copy and paste that particular section of the policy on here? I have no problem abiding by the 400ft rule but............

Does it actually specify "500m" ?. Is it possible to copy and paste that particular section of the policy on here? I have no problem abiding by the 400ft rule but............
I called the company in person before I committed to the insurance
The guy I spoke to is an X aviation official and we had a great and informative discussion about the rules of flying etc.

I gave him examples such as flying over the legal limits and rightly so he advised me the do's and don'ts as to what I should and shouldn't be doing once I'm airborne.

As I say I took up the insurance but after flying my drone it is hard to stay within the boundaries of what the policy holds.

I don't fly in my city (I have once) and I drive upto an hour into the countryside where I know places that are clear and rural where I fly with confidence I'm not putting anyone/anything in danger..
Only my wallet if my drone fails and drops or gets lost.

It's all about what kind of flying the individual does.

By all means lads give this fella a call and I'm sure he'll advise the same onto yourselves,which will enable you to decide whether the policy is for you and your style of flying.

The policy is great in relation to water damage for its the only one that has this type of cover.

I printed the policy off but I'm sure it's on their website.
Like all insurance policies unless one is a Philadelphia lawyer we'll never fully understand the wording.DSC_0012~2.JPGDSC_0013~2.JPG

The only boundary that's a concern here really is the 500m distance one. I have just spoken to a guy at FlyIcarus and he's gonna look into that in depth. Said he'd be in touch in half an hour. I'll let you's know the outcome. I have been on the CAA website and can find no restrictions on distance apart from 'line of sight'. As everyone knows the height limit is the law but i can see no such thing for distance. FlyIcarus go by CAA rules.

The only boundary that's a concern here really is the 500m distance one. I have just spoken to a guy at FlyIcarus and he's gonna look into that in depth. Said he'd be in touch in half an hour. I'll let you's know the outcome. I have been on the CAA website and can find no restrictions on distance apart from 'line of sight'. As everyone knows the height limit is the law but i can see no such thing for distance. FlyIcarus go by CAA rules.
Good lad...

This is what I'm in effect trying to highlight about the policy or policies.

The laws about flying seem to be critical in itself and I'm sure an insurance policy can be more critical for when paying out on a claim we all know how stipulate and particular these companies act.

The line of sight I've questionioned many times for we all have different level of sight ability....therefore the 500m range has to be abided by as to set a legal level for all to adhere too.

Why do I feel a powerful sense of fecken De Ja Vu...

What about the height?
Are you saying I can send my drone into orbit!

The CAA website in various places defines line of sight to be up to 500m
for example
Guidance for flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

This has been stated in previous versions of the Drone Code, however the current version of the CAA Drone Code just says "keep your drone within sight".
if my mav is 500m from me i can just about see it and because of this i have set my max distance at 500m at which time i get a warning on screen max distance reached and the mav will not fly any further ie it geo fences at that distance i think that setting your mav to do this will prevent you from exceeding 500m the same as the 120m height restiction if you are challenged by police you can show them the on screen settings and then they will know you are following the drone code every little helps you to fight your corner if accused of illegal flying just my thoughts on the matter thats all

What is proven here is the ignorance and lack of knowledge in flying a drone.

For the insurance company not in a position to give advice on the laws etc and to then state they need to look into a simple rule of sight,which IS 500m proves my point from the beginning of this post that your wasting your money AND thats why I cancelled and got a refund.

Or you must be a rep for the company to give it such a big up.?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom