DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK governing bodies / insurance

Dragon7

Reactions
As I can see there are two bodies in the UK representing drone fliers, British Model Flying Association and FPV UK. Both of these offer insurance.

I am leaning towards joining FPV UK since it seems more relevant to drone flying.

Does anybody have experience of either of these bodies?

As I can see there are two bodies in the UK representing drone fliers, British Model Flying Association and FPV UK. Both of these offer insurance.

I am leaning towards joining FPV UK since it seems more relevant to drone flying.

Does anybody have experience of either of these bodies?

BMFA every time, beyond question.

Several reasons:

1) They have been going since 1922, so their value as a user database for their insurer is unrivalled.

2) Their community is also very large.

3) They have been appointed as "trustees" of the sport by the Royal Aero Club, so enviable credentials.

4) In terms of its ability to kill or maim, your drone is at the bottom of the ladder. Imagine being flown into by a gloplug-engined aircraft of 100cc or more flying at 60mph or even more? Or a 20-foot wingspan, four jet engined scale model 747 falling on your head? There's no contest.

I thinks it's fair to say that in all respects their insurance offering will be more rigorous and fit for purpose.

It's also worth remembering that, unlike most RC model aircraft, the drone has telemetry that could prove useful - one way or another! - in the event of an accident. I don't know what insurers are like in this respect but I'd be all over it like a rash if I were them.

I would also question the relevance point you make. A drone is no different to any other RC aircraft and frankly way easier to control. The only difference of note to a potential insurer is the growing plethora of people owning and flying drones who, to put it politely, probably shouldn't....

Reactions: SaOuGenLa
Thanks, you raise some good points there.

By relevance I just meant that FPV UK seem to specialize in drones. I was just looking at the BMFA site

Hi

Completely take on board what has been said above but looking at the two sites FPV UK do seems to be focused on 'Drones' compared to BMFA ... has anyone on this forum joined either? Apart from insurance what are the main benefits you get for joining?

Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada