DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK PfCO Renewals

Hiwayman

Reactions
What do we know about PfCO renewals and commercial operations in the UK as we head towards significant changes next summer..what is the future for CAA authorisations for commercial work and operations manuals?

What do we know about PfCO renewals and commercial operations in the UK as we head towards significant changes next summer..what is the future for CAA authorisations for commercial work and operations manuals?

Next to nothing, unless I've overlooked something on the CAA's site; they've commented on the new regs and essentially stated that they intend to adopt them in full, but not on the specific implications for future of the PfCO and renewals of same.

However, since the new EU regulations make no mention of commercial operation, I does seem likely that the PfCO as we know it seems likely to go away. My guess is that it will be replaced by something else that would grant permissions for things like flying over crowds, closer to buildings, at night, BVLOS, fully autonomous operation (e.g. delivery services) etc., if you have the appropriate training and certificate. If that is the case, then I'd expect current PfCO holders to be grandfathered into the new scheme somehow.

I'd suggest reaching out to the CAA directly if you currently hold a PfCO, but keep in mind that even if you no longer need it but you let it expire before the new regulations come in then you won't legally be able to undertake commercial operations in the meantime. If that's only a few weeks, you may be able to work around it; but if it's months I'd imagine that would be a major problem and you are basically over a barrel that forces you to renew regardless.

Reactions: Hiwayman
Next to nothing, unless I've overlooked something on the CAA's site; they've commented on the new regs and essentially stated that they intend to adopt them in full, but not on the specific implications for future of the PfCO and renewals of same.

However, since the new EU regulations make no mention of commercial operation, I does seem likely that the PfCO as we know it seems likely to go away. My guess is that it will be replaced by something else that would grant permissions for things like flying over crowds, closer to buildings, at night, BVLOS, fully autonomous operation (e.g. delivery services) etc., if you have the appropriate training and certificate. If that is the case, then I'd expect current PfCO holders to be grandfathered into the new scheme somehow.

I'd suggest reaching out to the CAA directly if you currently hold a PfCO, but keep in mind that even if you no longer need it but you let it expire before the new regulations come in then you won't legally be able to undertake commercial operations in the meantime. If that's only a few weeks, you may be able to work around it; but if it's months I'd imagine that would be a major problem and you are basically over a barrel that forces you to renew regardless.
Thank you for your thoughts on the subject... appreciated ?
It may well be worth a chat with CAA...not sure how helpful they can or will be, but if you don't ask....?

The 7th edition of CAP 722 was released in July 2019. This document seems to be what you are referring to above, in regard to the need for PfCO. It does appear that there will be a need for some kind of 'qualification' to undertake flying based on three different ranges of 'Risk'. The document is seeking to bring a common set of rules to all EU states.

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject... appreciated ?
It may well be worth a chat with CAA...not sure how helpful they can or will be, but if you don't ask....?

I believe they're generally pretty responsive. I've had fairly prompt replies to a couple of emails over the registration scheme, and I know others have had quick replies on other matters too.

Of course, they can't tell you want they don't know and it could well be that this hasn't been finalised yet and they can't comment, but as you say - if you don't ask...

Nothing to report...it appears no decision made yet...just have to wait and hope that existing commercial pilots retain their rights to do commercial work

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya