DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Range Restriction - GPS or RF Strength?

mattjkilo

Reactions
Dear all,

A broad question on the limitations of range on our wonderful Mavic drones; is the limitation on how far we can reach defined by the transmission strength or is it based on the GPS distance from the home location?

I'm an owner of the Mavic 2 Pro but I assume the restriction shall largely be the same on other similar variants also.

Dear all,

A broad question on the limitations of range on our wonderful Mavic drones; is the limitation on how far we can reach defined by the transmission strength or is it based on the GPS distance from the home location?

I'm an owner of the Mavic 2 Pro but I assume the restriction shall largely be the same on other similar variants also.

Neither it is based on VLOS which most people tend to agree is about 300-500 metres depending on terrain, weather, light, and the drone itself.

Reactions: The Editor
You need to be able to clearly see the drone, its orientation and any potential obstacles (ground and air based all around it).
Legally at least. Thats what visual line of sight implies (NOT using binoculars or extra spotters).
Realistically this is a few hundred metres for a mavic.

The other restriction you might see is the transmission strength which is restricted by the maximum legal power output allowed. With the exception of the US, this is a similar strength to the rest of the world. This is a few miles *in clear air* or a few hundred metres at most if there are trees or buildings blocking your coverage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada