DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK relevant, does anyone know if the CAA have ever gone after a drone pilot based on youtube etc. videos?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Just curious as I have just seen another flight over a built up area etc. and quite a few of that person's videos had similar content.

Just curious as I have just seen another flight over a built up area etc. and quite a few of that person's videos had similar content.
Posting an image on social media does not mean the image originated from the person posting it, and the burden of proof is on the regulator to establish who was the original creator of the image.

However, if your own comments YouTube say that you took the video, that would certainly help the regulator with their burden of proof.

I can't' speak to any regulatory agency enforcing laws based on You Tube videos. I would note there are a LOT of videos on You Tube that show obviously illegal flights. Drone licenses and waivers for every licensed pilot are available online for view. It can be difficult to line up the video author and the license, but I have done it, and some had a waiver, and some didn't. Have I heard of anyone being prosecuted? No. The FAA is really only concerned with situations where a drone really screws up. As far as the CAA, no idea.

I've never heard of such a case .
To start with there is the difficulty of identifying the individual who posted the footage and whether they were the pilot. Unless they are easily identifiable or what's on film is clearly endangering people / aircraft etc. I suspect they would view it as not a good use of their time and resources. Being seen as watching youtube all day and then going out with a tape measure to see if someone might have infringed something would be bad for their reputation, but not acting on a viral video where someone appears on camera and then flies their drone up close to an aircraft with people on board would be just as bad.

On a similar theme people have been prosecuted over cars & motorcycles showing the speed on video.
See above. If it's drawn to the attention of the police, and culprit can be identified without too much trouble, it's likely to be followed up - if the video identifies the car, the police can require the registered keeper to say who was driving, and they have people working full time on speed enforcement with targets to issue a certain number of notices. Drone footage probably won't take you to the pilot in the same way and I think the CAA are starting from a different place when it comes to enforcement. But the courts can accept the video as evidence.

If I remember correctly, several years ago someone was prosecuted for flying near the BAE site at Barrow in Furness. He said he had lost control of the aircraft and the video recovered from it (it landed near the base) was used to prosecute him. £3k seems to ring a bell. Found a link read comments on YouTube
read comments on YouTube
Also here UK's first drone conviction will bankrupt me, says Cumbrian man

The bridge crossing was hairy, did you see the bit about a caution given to another pilot for selling photos with out a commercial approval/licence?

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying