DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK: Smart Controller. Any import tax & duty to pay if ordered from DJI store ?

JuJuMP2

Reactions
Hi UK Droners,

I have ordered the Smart Controller from the online DJI store. Free shipping it said.
I presumed DJI had stock in the EU somewhere.
Today I got tracking info from DHL and it has been shipped from Shenzhen China and due to be flown into BHX.

I got a nasty feeling I'm going to get screwed for import duty and tax on top of the £579 purchase cost.
This would make the Smart Controller very expensive indeed !

What has been your experience ?

Regards,

J.

I've no personal experience with DJI specifically, but as they state that they'll be covering all this in their Ts&Cs then you should be OK. Per this link under "Shipping & Delivery":

Do I need to pay customs and import charges for my order?

If the products are shipped from aboard, do I need to pay customs and import charges for my order? Customs fees, and VAT where applicable, are already included in the product price when purchasing products from our online store. However, you may be asked to pay a charge by local shipping agents. If you encounter this situation, we strongly advise you not to pay them, and contact our online sales support at DJI Support – Here for You – DJI. Dedicated staff will be available to help you.

You may need to jump through some hoops and wait a few days for the paperwork to sort itself out, but you should be OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: finki
No import duty to pay through DJI store, I’m in the UK and I buy all new DJI stuff through the store and it’s always freight and duty paid. Shipping to the UK takes 3 to 4 days.

I'm in Canada and ordered number of accessories from DJI on-line store this include Osmo Pocket. Never paid any taxes or duty, it was always covered by DJI. Shipping is free if order is more than $89.00 USD. In UK free shipping for orders over GBP £119.

Thanks Guys.

I recently had a nasty shock after purchasing some custom Japanese car parts.
I expected to pay some import duty and tax but the final bill was brutal

Thanks Guys.

I recently had a nasty shock after purchasing some custom Japanese car parts.
I expected to pay some import duty and tax but the final bill was brutal

I know what it feels like :) Ordered number of accessories for my motorcycles from Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. and without exception I was charge 13% taxes and 22% duty. But if something is not available in Canada and you really want/need something then paying extra is the only option :)

No import duty to pay through DJI store, I’m in the UK and I buy all new DJI stuff through the store and it’s always freight and duty paid. Shipping to the UK takes 3 to 4 days.
As anything changed after brexit?

As anything changed after brexit?
Yes, we now need to pay some additional taxes and/or other import/handing/processing fees when transferring applicable goods from the EU to the UK and from the UK to the EU, AFAICT, DJI isn't covering all of those in the "sticker price" - just the taxes and freight, so you now need to pay the courier's fees. All totally expected once it became clear (in 2019!) that the UK was going to have third nation status following the end of the transition period, e.g. a very similar setup to imports from the US, but apparently not everyone realised that - probably because it wasn't exactly spelled out in the mostly pro-Brexit UK media.

We're also still in a kind of transition period for some goods, so I suspect there are going to be a few more gotchas to come yet, whenever the EU and UK agree when that period is going to end. That's *supposed* to be the end of March, but the UK has unilaterally extended it and the EU seems about to start legal proceedings as a result, so we'll have to wait and see on that one. Mostly that's just about things like customs checks and required paperwork though, so as far as the general public is concerned it'll probably translate into increased shipping and handling fees to cover the additional red tape.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest