DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ulanzi DR-02 Strobe?

I couldn't find any listings on Ebay for T6 torches with 5 modes HOWEVER I did notice that when I press and hold the button on the torch it strobes slower but not with a steady strobe eg maybe strobe, 1 second, strobe, one second, then three quick strobes etc. Better than nothing I guess.
Also I have yet to test it in daylight but hoping I can see it up

This is just one of the countless offerings I can give example from my country's available e commerce.
I couldn't find any listings on Ebay for T6 torches with 5 modes HOWEVER I did notice that when I press and hold the button on the torch it strobes slower but not with a steady strobe eg maybe strobe, 1 second, strobe, one second, then three quick strobes etc. Better than nothing I guess.
Also I have yet to test it in daylight but hoping I can see it up to say 200 metres away.

I used "5 mode Cree" search. But not able to filter Australian sources...maybe you want to try aliexpress also.

There are some that are a super pain to dismantle actually, so you can also buy the Cree on a board + 5 mode controller board separately.

I'm pretty sure you can see it from 200 meters, the question is it may be a small dot of light without a lens. I'm glad you are experimenting though.

Thanks
Searching the Australian Ebay site there are many listings for 5 mode t6 torch and also just the 'guts' of it BUT it seems the strobe/flash modes are only 'normal' (I am guessing very fast like my torch) and SOS and I think I already can get SOS on mine by pressing the button and holding for a few seconds.
Problem is that all these sellers reside in China and right now I prefer not to buy from China because of the direct link to the covid-19 pandemic with the wet markets there which now is costing all nations billions of dollars - I've now spoken my mind.
My T6 torch has a strong lens at the front (removable) which allows the beam to be 'zoomed'.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks
Searching the Australian Ebay site there are many listings for 5 mode t6 torch and also just the 'guts' of it BUT it seems the strobe/flash modes are only 'normal' (I am guessing very fast like my torch) and SOS and I think I already can get SOS on mine by pressing the button and holding for a few seconds.
Problem is that all these sellers reside in China and right now I prefer not to buy from China because of the direct link to the covid-19 pandemic with the wet markets there which now is costing all nations billions of dollars - I've now spoken my mind.
My T6 torch has a strong lens at the front (removable) which allows the beam to be 'zoomed'.
Thanks again
Whether you like it or not its still made in China. Not to mention your expensive drone too. The only difference is you are either paying another non Chinese middleman to channel it to you sir.

I'm not a Chinese national so its not really my fight here, but I heard you guys are really up for it with them this time.

Now I remember, the slowest strobe mode is indeed SOS. Which makes it somewhat cheeky I suppose.

Yes I do admit that the products are usually made in China BUT I would rather someone in Australia getting the middleman's cut than from you know where. If there is an alternative I will usually buy it.

Hi Flyer give us a report on the Lume Cube when you get them. They certainly seem to be one of the brightest and most expensive.

Yes I do admit that the products are usually made in China BUT I would rather someone in Australia getting the middleman's cut than from you know where. If there is an alternative I will usually buy it.

Hi Flyer give us a report on the Lume Cube when you get them. They certainly seem to be one of the brightest and most expensive.
Will certainly do so after testing - gives me something to do in these crazy days of winter.

Will certainly do so after testing - gives me something to do in these crazy days of winter.
Like I said, here's a first report on the Lume Cube anti-Collision lights, which I received yesterday. I ordered - and received - 3 of them. They are USB chargeable, charging cable provided. The light has 3 positions: Fast Strobe, Slow Strobe and Continuous Mode (= always on). You move between these positions by pressing the plastic dome.
The Fast Strobe flash lasts less time that the Slow Strobe flash, but does not appear to be any brighter. Also, Lume Cube Customer Service has told me that using Slow Strobe will last longer. Since I am interested in the light being as visible as possible, I will thus prefer the Slow Strobe.
Lume Cube says that the light is in full compliance with USA regulations, which demand that at night-time a drone (1) must have a strobing light, which (2) must be visible to aircraft from a distance of up to 3 miles.
I strongly doubt the "visible at 3 miles" claim. A number of Youtube videos have run comparison tests with this and other anti-collision lights. From the few I have viewed, this one does not come out as the best, meaning the greatest distance from which the strobing light is visible, i.e. identifiable. A mile has 5,280 feet, so three miles would be 15,840 feet. In a night-time comparison test, this light is very barely visible from a distance of 5,280 feet, rendering the 3-mile claim somewhat dubious.
Since I'm not planning to fly 3 miles at night, I am happy with this drone. I have yet to fly with it.
Here is a link to a comparison test - there are a few others available on Youtube:

I use a DR 01 by the same company. Works fine for me. White, Red or Green color and about 14 grams.

Like I said, here's a first report on the Lume Cube anti-Collision lights, which I received yesterday. I ordered - and received - 3 of them. They are USB chargeable, charging cable provided. The light has 3 positions: Fast Strobe, Slow Strobe and Continuous Mode (= always on). You move between these positions by pressing the plastic dome.
The Fast Strobe flash lasts less time that the Slow Strobe flash, but does not appear to be any brighter. Also, Lume Cube Customer Service has told me that using Slow Strobe will last longer. Since I am interested in the light being as visible as possible, I will thus prefer the Slow Strobe.
Lume Cube says that the light is in full compliance with USA regulations, which demand that at night-time a drone (1) must have a strobing light, which (2) must be visible to aircraft from a distance of up to 3 miles.
I strongly doubt the "visible at 3 miles" claim. A number of Youtube videos have run comparison tests with this and other anti-collision lights. From the few I have viewed, this one does not come out as the best, meaning the greatest distance from which the strobing light is visible, i.e. identifiable. A mile has 5,280 feet, so three miles would be 15,840 feet. In a night-time comparison test, this light is very barely visible from a distance of 5,280 feet, rendering the 3-mile claim somewhat dubious.
Since I'm not planning to fly 3 miles at night, I am happy with this drone. I have yet to fly with it.
Here is a link to a comparison test - there are a few others available on Youtube:
On a test I ran after posting the above, I set one light to Fast Mode and one to Slow Mode, and left them flashing. One kept on for 4 hours and 20 minutes, and the second for 7 hours and 30 minutes. Very good for such a small gadget!

Thanks for your test results.
What range does it have in daylight? Can you see the strobe say at 500 feet away?
I don't propose to fly at night but even at 500 feet away (about as far away I like to fly max) I can still loose sight of my drone depending on the background.

Thanks for your test results.
What range does it have in daylight? Can you see the strobe say at 500 feet away?
I don't propose to fly at night but even at 500 feet away (about as far away I like to fly max) I can still loose sight of my drone depending on the background.
I haven't yet flown with the Lume Cube A-C light. As I have written, after watching a video whose link I have posted, " this light is very barely visible from a distance of 5,280 feet (= one mile), rendering the 3-mile claim somewhat dubious". That was at night! I recommend anyone looking for a similar solution to view a few comparison tests on Youtube. Personally, I don't live in an area where the light is obligatory by law, don't fly where collision with an airplane is even a vague possibility, so my chief interest is in identifying the drone from below. This assists compliance with the "line of site" law, thus extending its validity. For this reason I will mount the light under the drone (conditional to its not blocking air vents or sensors), and not above it. Incidentally, for this reason I will add the height-extension legs, raising the drone above the ground, hoping that it will not insist on the range-limiting Payload factor to be activated. Yet to be tested. My chief drones are the Mini 2 and the Mavic Air 2.

aI am of the opinion that the ARC II strobe is the best and brightest. Yes I only want the strobe to identify the drone when it flies in front of trees or other objects which makes it difficult to see. Not sure though whether to mount the strobe under the drone where it can be seen from all directions or say on the rear and then I can tell its orientation and if I loose sight the slowly spin it around hoping that I will see the strobe when the strobe is facing me (and the drone facing away). One the rear also will not require leg extensions. Maybe also one at the front strobing at a different rate than the one on the rear to differentiate.

I am 'in the market' for a WHITE strobe for my MA2 and have read the threads already posted here about strobes.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Ulanzi DR-02 strobe and if so their thoughts on this? Where do you mount your strobe, on top or under or on a leg?

It weighs 6.5 grams which is very light but it looks bulky compared to other brands but it appears to show light from the top as well as the front and back which I think is great.

Does anyone else use other brands and which they are completely happy with?
I have a Ulanzi on the top of my MA2 which works well. I used the velcro that came with it. Keep in mind that the FAA requires that you have at least one anti- collision light mounted on the top of the aircraft and it must be strobing with a 3 mile visibility. You can have as many as you want anywhere else.

I have a Ulanzi on the top of my MA2 which works well. I used the velcro that came with it. Keep in mind that the FAA requires that you have at least one anti- collision light mounted on the top of the aircraft and it must be strobing with a 3 mile visibility. You can have as many as you want anywhere else.
There is hardly any room below the MA2 to place an A-C light, because of air vents and camera lenses.

I use a pair of Ulanzi DR-02s , and for the price theyre a solid buy.
Maybe not as bright as the firehouse strobes , but like you said , they charge a extortionate amount of money for shipping so never had one.
The Ulanzi DR-02 has the advantage of being able to strobe RED GREEN or WHITE at the touch of a button. They also hold their charge for ages and don't weigh much. The lens and case may add a tiny bit of weight but to you get a waterproof product in return. For the money they're worth giving a shot
Likewise, I use these and cannot find a fault with them. Nice and bright, and hold a charge on average about 8 hours.

I use a pair of Ulanzi DR-02s , and for the price theyre a solid buy.
Maybe not as bright as the firehouse strobes , but like you said , they charge a extortionate amount of money for shipping so never had one.
The Ulanzi DR-02 has the advantage of being able to strobe RED GREEN or WHITE at the touch of a button. They also hold their charge for ages and don't weigh much. The lens and case may add a tiny bit of weight but to you get a waterproof product in return. For the money they're worth giving a shot
"but like you said , they charge a extortionate amount of money for shipping so never had one."

Perhaps I got your reference about shipping wrong, but I just ordered another strobe from Firehouse two days ago. I didn't get hit for tax or shipping. See image below...

1640876592538.png

I too am 'in the market' for the brightest strobe I can find.

Firstly be careful about claims as to how far away the strobe can be seen as sometimes this is at NIGHT.

Most do NOT which state how many lumens (brightness) they emit and some state something like 3W (watts) CREE LED (eg Firehouse Dual Cree) which equates to only 270 lumens.
The LUME CUBE claims 500 lumens at about $US55
I have seen a ULANZI DR-02 listed as 10W (watts) which equates to 900 lumens so very bright at about $US55
The Firehouse Arc 'V' at whopping 1000 lumens at about $US66
Strobon (brand) strobes (mentioned elsewhere somewhere here) don't seem to list watts or lumens and as they are quite cheap I would not think they are very bright although they claim visibility at 3 miles AT NIGHT.
Also WHITE strobes are said to be the brightest.

Hope this helps.
There are a few things that need additional comments and a correction. The Arc V sells, before any discounting at $33 USD, not $66. Perhaps being in Oz changes things for you.

Also, I wouldn't hang my hat on stated lumens. I have several ARC V's and one (the latest one I ordered) is significantly brighter than the older one, about the same brightness as the ARC II. Did the aging make it more dim over time? I don't know. Still plenty bright. Ability to see three miles? Perhaps the brightness can allow that, but the size of the strobes would make that very difficult. I've had my M2 out 10,000 ft (3000 meters), just under two miles at night and could just barely see the strobes. I don't think I'd be able to see them much past that distance. In the daylight they ARC V's are good to about 1600' on most days.

For those interested, especially for the weight conscious, here are the three most popular Firehouse strobes and their weights, measured on a jewelry scale. One of the additional benefits to the ARC V is the enclosure that has a beveled edge which makes it easier to see, albeit at the cost of additional weight. Note that all have female velcro attached and the weights include the velcro.

1640877878548.png

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112