DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

uncommanded descent

Thanks. I'll start higher next time and report back. Elusive problem, nicht wahr? We need a trim wheel on this thing. Now I know it's there I can live with it but it would be very nice if it stayed level.

Reactions: Zen Fly
There are two things that can happen with prop blades as motor rpm increases:
1) As the rpm increases, the torsional (twisting) stresses along the length of the blade increase, and the flexible plastic blade will tend to 'feather' into the airflow - especially out toward the tips - which reduces the 'pitch' and lifting ability of the prop.
2) In addition, the inner part of the prop with the coarsest pitch will hit a speed where it stalls. Not only is the blade-stall going to massively reduce the lifting ability of that blade, but it will upset the airflow behind it so that its partner on the other side of the hub, will be trying to gain lift in dead air. If not the same as - this would be similar to the effect of 'cavitation' on a ship's propellor.

It appears that the software in the Mavic Mini is written to simply increase rpm when additional lift is required - and in their 'normal' shape, the MM DJI prop's will accommodate. However, if the Mav' has been stowed in a way that warps the blades (i.e. reduces their pitch - see my post #19), then those prop's are going to be more effective at lower rpm than they are at high! The reason for this is that the flattened tips provide almost no lift, and the course-pitched inner part of the prop will do all the work right up to the point where it stalls and suddenly stops providing any lift at all. In the stalled & over-rev'd condition, the prop's are going to act like a flat disk of plastic with some parachute-like facilities - which explains why the MM doesn't just plummet but tends to lower itself using the front motors to maintain horizontal stability.

This also explains why 'flying backwards' is going to be an effective way to rescue a MM in this condition ... It's because when the MM is flying backwards, the prop's providing the 'power' are the unaffected front set, while the rear set don't have to rev' so high - and are simply providing a bit of lift.

My conclusion is that if the Mavic Mini is stowed incorrectly with pressure placed on the rear prop blades in such a way that they deform and 'flatten' - the Mavic will need to use higher motor rpm to get an equivalent lift from the prop-set. Under 'no-stress' flight conditions, the MM should fly as normal, but higher prop rpm (higher pitch sound) will probably be noted. However, if the MM needs 'power', the motor rpm maxes out and the blades will stall and become almost ineffective. The Mavic's motor controllers will keep the rpm high in an attempt to regain lift, which will maintain the stall until downward drift stops (e.g. the MM bounces off the ground into a hover). I believe that the flight data analysis that has gone on in this post, backs that up ... I also believe that it is going to be impossible to replicate this problem on a Mavic Mini that has been stowed correctly in the FlyMore case, or is usually stowed some other way.

In my opinion, the two ways to remove this problem (after changing the rear props), are:
1) very careful stowage to ensure that the prop-blades stowed under the MM have not swung backwards and are being compressed under the body of the drone while it is in the FlyMore case.
2) and/or - use of a 3rd party prop made from a stiffer composite material which will not deform.
Please excuse my late reply
I think DJI should offer you a BIG consultant fee - you are exactly correct in your analysis. The available facts support and prove exactly what are saying. EXCELLENT
DJI is going to use programming to change the “Laws of Physics”, or NOT !! “we will see”...

Reactions: Zen Fly
Please excuse my late reply
I think DJI should offer you a BIG consultant fee - you are exactly correct in your analysis. The available facts support and prove exactly what are saying. EXCELLENT
DJI is going to use programming to change the “Laws of Physics”, or NOT !! “we will see”...
Thanks - However, I think that DJI would point out that they put a label on the base of the Fly More case telling users that they need to stow the folded Mavic with its prop blades east-west (positioned so that they fit in the case cut-out and are not under any deforming compression). The missing thing though seems to be DJI's lack of emphasising this in communications regarding this problem.
I also acknowledge the data provided by @sar104 as - although his graphs and my head just don't seem to mix - his data is excellent in helping to get a theory together.

Reactions: OregonEd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60