DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Understanding no fly zone better

MET

Reactions
I'm new to the drone community and just purchased my Mavic Pro 2 a week ago. I'm confused on the message I'm getting when I enter the 5 mile radius from a local airport. My understanding is that when I receive that warning that I would not be able to take off. What I am receiving just inside the 5 mile radius is a message on my iphone screen telling me to fly with caution in this area and to click "yes" that I understand. This message has a black background and blocks about 80% of my screen. When I hit "yes", nothing happens which means that I cannot clear the black box which blocks my view from the camera. I'm not trying to fly high in this area but just want to fly in my backyard field which is about 5 acres. Would appreciate someones help in understanding this. thx

Hi Met, I am in a similar zone, although here we are in large radius of a helicopter training site and we often get low flying helicopters around here. Its difficult to see, especially in sunshine, but there is a box you must tick before you confirm, then the screen goes away.

I'm new to the drone community and just purchased my Mavic Pro 2 a week ago. I'm confused on the message I'm getting when I enter the 5 mile radius from a local airport. My understanding is that when I receive that warning that I would not be able to take off. What I am receiving just inside the 5 mile radius is a message on my iphone screen telling me to fly with caution in this area and to click "yes" that I understand. This message has a black background and blocks about 80% of my screen. When I hit "yes", nothing happens which means that I cannot clear the black box which blocks my view from the camera. I'm not trying to fly high in this area but just want to fly in my backyard field which is about 5 acres. Would appreciate someones help in understanding this. thx
There is a Check Box just to the right of the message that has to be checked (tap on it) then tap on Yes. That should clear the message box. The Check box is small and hard to see.

There is a Check Box just to the right of the message that has to be checked (tap on it) then tap on Yes. That should clear the message box. The Check box is small and hard to see.
Thanks for the help - found the place to check the box and it worked. Do you know how close you can get to an airport before it will stop you?

Thanks for the help - found the place to check the box and it worked. Do you know how close you can get to an airport before it will stop you?

You would be best served staying miles away from any airports if you have to ask that question. You should probably familiarize yourself with the laws before you do something illegal.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

You would be best served staying miles away from any airports if you have to ask that question. You should probably familiarize yourself with the laws before you do something illegal.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Sounds like MET is trying to do exactly that: familiarize themselves with the laws. To be honest, I find the faa website difficult to get clear concise answers. I think its good to ask questions.

Reactions: coop64 and Thealien
Sounds like MET is trying to do exactly that: familiarize themselves with the laws. To be honest, I find the faa website difficult to get clear concise answers. I think its good to ask questions.

I agree with you 100 percent, but I think it's good to learn the law first and then ask questions.

Met, I apologize for being salty.

Reactions: tatmanblue

Regarding how far to be way, it depends on the airport. Current law in the US is based on Class of Airspace.

As some have mentioned, what is legal is not always what is safe. Unless you are very familiar with the airport and traffic pattern best to stay miles away.

Do you know which airport is of concern?

All good responses. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or unsafe - just trying to better understand how the NFZ works so that I stay legal and safe. If you are truly not to be in a NFZ, why do I get an alert that says "fly with caution and check this box so you understand" when I enter the 5 mile circle?? Do different airports have different degrees of how strict they are allowing you in the 5 mile radius. I'm in Cincinnati and the airport that allows me within the 5 mile radius by checking the "yes" box is Lunken Airport (LUK), which is a small airport (however Trump and AF1 landed there Friday night). At some point, I will try this at the 5 mile point from the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International airport (CVG) and see if I get this alert or if it doesn't allow me to take off at all. What I'm really trying to find out is at what point does the geo fence kick in and stop my Mavic 2 dead in its tracks. Thanks all for the help and info.

Reactions: tatmanblue
I understand your question now. I THINK that once your click "Yes" to being in the vicinity of an airport you are on your own. I have flown over an airport (with the proper approvals) and my Air did not hesitate. The pro 2 may be different.

Side Note: Luken is in Class D airspace, becomes Class E when the tower is closed - would need approval to be with in 4NM of the airport at any altitude. Been a while since I have flown in there, but I think it is 4 miles.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth