DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unfortunate News Article

Someone flying a 100 mph drone at 3,000 feet? C'mon man! Sensational media theatrics for sure. Yes, the drone could have been at 3,000 ft, but a baseball sized drone flying 100 mph causing an impact at 200 mph is ludicris.

Yet, there are rogues / cowboys who FLY the way they want and that does cause all of us grief! We read some of their posts here in this forum!

Yes - but no one was claiming that this drone, if that's what it was, was flying at 100 mph. The pilot was merely noting that as the legal speed limit for sUAS operations, and that therefore the potential exists for a 200 mph impact with even a small aircraft such as his. In that he was completely correct. He underestimated the likely mass of a such an aircraft though - all UAVs capable of those speeds and altitudes that I'm aware of weigh rather more than a baseball, which is only 150 g.

I simply cannot see how this report is sensationalism or theatrics. It was a simple account of what he reported and his concerns (accurate) about the hazard that it represented.

Reactions: AnzacJack
I hate airheads like these that make the FAA tighten its grip on this hobby. I know some of these fines seem harsh, but when you really look at it, it's really just what they deserve. Maybe something like a stop that forces purchasers of drones to watch an instructional video before taking off would be helpful. However, those of us that actually know the rules and follow them would also be affected but I mean, it's better than the hobby rules becoming more stringent than they already are.
That stop for a video won’t do any good because idiots like this don’t care. They are like drunk drivers: they’re going to do it no matter who gets hurt or killed.

I agree with you about the fines, though. Make it hurt and remove their privileges. And maybe give them some jail time.

Reactions: BSauce955
Someone flying a 100 mph drone at 3,000 feet? C'mon man! Sensational media theatrics for sure. Yes, the drone could have been at 3,000 ft, but a baseball sized drone flying 100 mph causing an impact at 200 mph is ludicris.

Yet, there are rogues / cowboys who FLY the way they want and that does cause all of us grief! We read some of their posts here in this forum!
You don’t know your math very well, do you?

That stop for a video won’t do any good because idiots like this don’t care. They are like drunk drivers: they’re going to do it no matter who gets hurt or killed.

I agree with you about the fines, though. Make it hurt and remove their privileges. And maybe give them some jail time.
Fines should be based on a person's income level. Our current system is flawed. A 1000 dollar fine is nothing to a person who makes over 200,000 net per year, but when a person who is making minimum wage get's a 1000 dollar fine, their life can be seriously affected. With your way of policing, only rich people will be flying drones. The rich get a lawyer, get the fine lowered, get the punishment lowered, and likely keep their privileges to fly. A poor person will end up in jail because they can't afford the fine. No representation gets their privileges revoked. Life isn't black and white.

By the way, no drone and aircraft impact has caused a death to this date. Although their has been a few minor injuries. Impacts, usually , if not always cause the aircraft to make an emergency landing. I believe the drone pilot should get fined to his or her means, but also be responsible for paying lost time, pay, damage, fuel costs, etc for any emergency landings caused by an impact with their drone. Jail time is really destructive to society and the family unit. No good comes from throwing basically good people in jail. If their were a death caused by illegal flying then, let the current laws take care of the issue. It's called involuntary manslaughter.

Last edited:
Drones aren't limited to a 400ft altitude from their take off point for a reason. I've seen your posts. Your smart enough to know why.
I was referring to the eagle. At least it knew to yield to converging traffic on its right.

In any case, note also that I wrote 400 ft AGL, not 400 ft above takeoff point.

And why we should all remember: Context is everything.

I earned my wings back in 1970. I have a little over 2000 hours flying several models of aircraft. In my opinion I think a lot of this anger has to do with the newness of the hobby. When handheld lasers became available the nightly news was always including the stories of how idiots were flashing aircraft. Were still dealing with idiots breaking the rules but I think it will soon settle down to a dull roar. As a pilot my worst enemies were idiot pilots who were breaking the rules like ignoring runway traffic patterns or flight level rules. I certainly dont want to share the air with a drone or a Hawk. soon were going to hear stories about the Amazon drone flying too low or worse. There will always be something to ***** about

Sad story.

I earned my wings back in 1970. I have a little over 2000 hours flying several models of aircraft. In my opinion I think a lot of this anger has to do with the newness of the hobby. When handheld lasers became available the nightly news was always including the stories of how idiots were flashing aircraft. Were still dealing with idiots breaking the rules but I think it will soon settle down to a dull roar. As a pilot my worst enemies were idiot pilots who were breaking the rules like ignoring runway traffic patterns or flight level rules. I certainly dont want to share the air with a drone or a Hawk. soon were going to hear stories about the Amazon drone flying too low or worse. There will always be something to ***** about
A voice of reason.

Reactions: BSauce955
i see these stories and dont think too much of them to be honest. These events are bound to happen and be reported on. What does make me shake my head is some of the crazy crap that people post here about these reports. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sar104
Here’s an unfortunate event and article that made the “front page” of the news online:

View attachment 136498
Could have also been a rocket floating back down? He could have Seen/ perceived a drone. The range of some rockets are 3000ft. In that case the Pilot needs to get new eyes before he flew again !

I agree. Since when has a quadcopter that size has the capacity to fly at 100 mph? There are single engine RC planes that can go that fast but they're basically made out of very light material like foam.

I agree. Since when has a quadcopter that size has the capacity to fly at 100 mph? There are single engine RC planes that can go that fast but they're basically made out of very light material like foam.
I have several quads that do more than 100mph.
However they only have a 4 minute flight time so I don't think 3000 ft is an option 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J