DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

United States National Cemeteries Rules

Andres11315

Reactions
Hello,

I have a part 107 certification.

I was wondering if you can legally fly over United States National Cemeteries across the US?

14 cemeteries are under (NPS)National park services which make it prohibited to fly a drone.

168 are control by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). I can't seem to find any law about these cemeteries regarding drones.

2 cemeteries are under Department of the Army. (DOD)

Does anyone knows if you can fly a drone over the cemeteries control by (VA) commercially?

Thanks,

Andres

I thought that you could legally fly over national parks, as long as you don’t takeoff or land from them. If that is correct, why would it be different for cemeteries? Unless it is located in an area that is a NFZ at all times due to their proximity to other important sites.

Welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Diego.

I thought that you could legally fly over national parks, as long as you don’t takeoff or land from them. If that is correct, why would it be different for cemeteries? Unless it is located in an area that is a NFZ at all times due to their proximity to other important sites.

Welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Diego.

That is correct for NPS land yes. As long as you are following all other rules (VLOS etc) you can over fly NPS land just know where you are standing as it can NOT be NPS without written permission.

Hello,

I have a part 107 certification.

I was wondering if you can legally fly over United States National Cemeteries across the US?

14 cemeteries are under (NPS)National park services which make it prohibited to fly a drone.

168 are control by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). I can't seem to find any law about these cemeteries regarding drones.

2 cemeteries are under Department of the Army. (DOD)

Does anyone knows if you can fly a drone over the cemeteries control by (VA) commercially?

Thanks,

Andres
Hi @Andres11315 and welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona!

As a veteran with 5 relatives buried in these cemetaries, I would point out one thing for your consideration. Loved ones left behind might not want you flying over them as they are visiting gravesites. it should be a time of quiet reflection.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Andres11315, welcome to the forum.

As the Department of Interior has placed land restrictions pertaining to take off and landing on their property, so too are the rules with the Department of Veterans Affairs. A query to them may possibly begin here: VA.gov | Veterans Affairs
I they state no take off or landing from their property, then it may be possible to do so (with land owner permission) from off the DVA property. I have seen some pictures in the past of various Nat’l Cemeteries, but I cannot truly attest whether they were official of non-official.

Begin your search with the DVA.
Again, welcome to the forum.

R
Jeffrey

I think its ok to fly over a Natl Cem as long as you don't take off or land from their property. As mentioned before it would be disturbing to loved ones visiting their Hero's grave sight . I would think if your determined to do this have some respect and maybe do it at Sunup very early before anyone is visiting.

We have a small Natl Cem near me, and I have wanted to fly over it and take some pics, but every time I have gone near there prepared to fly there have been too many people there, either a burial taking place, or just mourners visiting a grave. Out of respect, I have chosen not to fly whenever there is anyone there. I think I am going to try for sunrise some early morning.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots !!

I must jump in and support others here. Regardless of what may be legal, what is proper is foremost I believe in this situation. Cemeteries no matter where they are located are places for memories, reflection and respect. As a drone user I try very hard to never infringe on anyone’s privacy or give drone pilots a bad name. There are many areas to fly in the world, simply out of respect, please avoid cemeteries.

I whole heartedly agree with the "Privacy & Respect" sentiments but it CAN be done respectfully. A local cemetery/funeral home hired us to do some filming for them back in 2019 for their marketing campaign. It took 2 different days to do it without anyone on the property but it was well worth the effort and the client was thrilled with the final product.

Let's not be too harsh without knowing all of the details. Remember the OP came here and asked BEFOREHAND which is very commendable. KUDOS!!

I whole heartedly agree with the "Privacy & Respect" sentiments but it CAN be done respectfully. A local cemetery/funeral home hired us to do some filming for them back in 2019 for their marketing campaign. It took 2 different days to do it without anyone on the property but it was well worth the effort and the client was thrilled with the final product.

Let's not be too harsh without knowing all of the details. Remember the OP came here and asked BEFOREHAND which is very commendable. KUDOS!!
No intent to be harsh and my apologies if it came across that way. I do commend him for asking first and everyone on this site is great sharing info. Cemeteries, especially military ones, area a sensitive subject with me. I possibly came across the wrong way. Just trying to give another viewpoint.

As a Viet Era veteran and a Service Officer in the American Legion, I would not want a drone overhead while I was visiting a grave site. I would find that unacceptable.
If a drone was overhead during a celebration such as placing remembrance wreaths during a Wreaths Across America event, I would find that acceptable.
This is just my “two cents” and worth just as much. ?

As a Viet Era veteran and a Service Officer in the American Legion, I would not want a drone overhead while I was visiting a grave site. I would find that unacceptable.
If a drone was overhead during a celebration such as placing remembrance wreaths during a Wreaths Across America event, I would find that acceptable.
This is just my “two cents” and worth just as much. [emoji1]
Agree. I used to be a member of a community group that supported Veterans and Memorial day events at the local national Veterans cemetery.. One guy was a drone pilot and would get permission to fly during the event. After the event he would produce a video at no-cost to put on the groups Facebook page.

Reactions: BruceBotti
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
As you can see you have touched on a subject that is very sensitive.

BigAI07 I agree with your comment. I'm currently being asked to film the procession by a family whose hero is leaving behind 9 year old and 6 year old sons. They want to document this so the boys can reflect on it in the future. I'm also seeking permission beforehand but am doing this from a perspective of honoring, not disrespecting. So far my answer has been "No" from the cemetery. I will follow up with DVA. If you have any other advice as to how we can capture this for the family and still respect other visitors at the cemetery, please provide.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr